Case color choice opinions

EpicOrBust

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
First of all, I know the case color won't affect performance in any way. Now then, I am having trouble deciding whether the gigabyte pheonix sli x99 motherboard (http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/5807/20160531162114_big.png) would match better with the white or black Define R5. The GPU's will also be white and orange. Just wanted other peoples opinions on what would look better. Thanks in advance.

Users whom we've built boxes for or that I knew about using Gigabyte boards with orange highlights have selected the following:

Case - Enthoo Luxe / Evolve cases in white. Unfortunately, the Evolv Tempered Glass case doesn't come in white bit Silver is a reasonable alternative The Evolv won case of the Year

RAM - White is available from many sources

Air Cooler - Phanteks PH-TC1`4-PE comes in Orange and white
PH-TC14PE-1z.jpg

Water Cooling - Several vendors offer white radiators, white tubing is available as well as white pumps and reservoirs.
Or if ya want an All-in-One, Swiftech is one of the two vendors that make one worth buying ... and orange coolant is an option

H240-X2-COLOR-PICS.jpg

You can also paint GPU shrouds (disassemble), Fan shrouds (not blades) and radiator shrouds

EpicOrBust

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Those replies came way quicker than expected, thank you! It seems I will be going with a white case, and thanks for the cpu cooler ideas, that phanteks one looks really nice.

EpicOrBust

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
I just realized I forgot to mention, I am planning on some light mods (spraypainting pcie covers, fan shrouds, and im designing a psu shroud) but nothing too serious. The enthoo luxe is a beautiful case, but it's a bit too big for me.

The Luxe has a built in LED system into which you can plug in extra RGB strips and it already has a built in control system that changes the color of exterior and interior LEDs. The thing that rocks about the Luxe also is that it has an attic, in which you can fit radiator fans. If not using water cooling, I'd look at the smaller Evolve but that only comes in white with the ITX and mATX versions

Curious ... did you choose the MoBo solely for the looks or will you be using this build for workstation apps. ?

Has large % of bad reviews on newegg but sampling size is so small that can't be considered statistically relevant. I got a chuckle at the most recent review for this board ... guy starts out with "I was playing World of Warcraft ... An X99 build for a WoW box ... and only 1 GFX card ? Tho reading on, seems lotta folks are using in a gaming box which might indicate some perhaps didn't make good decisions in building it.

EpicOrBust

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

I'm doing this build for gaming, but I know x99 isn't meant for gaming, I'm just willing to pay the extra for this mobo, because z170 has no color options like this. I've read great reviews on the designare version, which is just a different color, so I think it should be fine. I also may be doing some rendering in the future, so whatever. Also im starting to lean more towards the luxe now, as that swiftech watercooler looks sexy, but the r5 doesn't have top mounting without removing the panels.

The public is up in arms about the no white on the tempered. I was supposed to do a silver build in one with the MSI Titanium MoBo which comes in X99 and several Z170 flavors but with Z270 talk in the air, he wants the Z270 version now.

My son did a Giga based white / orange build ... he started with the Phanteks but moved to the Swiftech. maybe these will give ya some ideas

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128704

few sheets of wet n dry it will be flat lol

but seriously i would rather spray paint the black tempered glass one white than try to make my own tempered glass side panel for the white one

though guess that would be doable as well

hmmm never thought of doing it in thick acrylic like that mnpctech one

but guess acrylic is easier to work with than tempered glass

hopefully phanteks will realise theres a demand for the white version with tempered glass some time soon

then no need for diy stuff

EpicOrBust

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Ok, I'm hoping you don't mind if I copy your sons build, that is so sick! I think I might just buy a sheet of acrylic pre-cut to size and use some doublesided tape to secure it. I was planning on using the ASUS Dual GTX 1070, because it's completely white, but I may have to go with the MSI now, I didn't even think of painting it like that.

Ok, I'm hoping you don't mind if I copy your sons build, that is so sick! I think I might just buy a sheet of acrylic pre-cut to size and use some doublesided tape to secure it. I was planning on using the ASUS Dual GTX 1070, because it's completely white, but I may have to go with the MSI now, I didn't even think of painting it like that.

I'll ask him how much he's charge for the copyright license :)

Why we he need 2 more ? That's where he got his ... was the guys 1st orange ones.

EpicOrBust

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

Thats for an SLI bridge, not backplate

You didn't get it from me :)

brian@phanteks.com

wont mention your name lol

but one more email from the demanding public wont hurt (or more than one since i seem to have around 8 email addresses for various things lol)

looked at diying it in acrylic but a thick sheet of acrylic is surprisingly expensive here

plus dont have a router to do that step on the edge the way they did it