Question Case fan connected to jfp2 bad?

May 28, 2019
Hey, So I replaced my 3 case fans today and I decided to buy an extra fan to use as "exhaust" I've never really needed to use one before but it's getting warmer everyday so I thought why not?

Now after I set up and screwed the fans in place I found out there were no extra available fan pins on my mobo. I do have extra fan cable slots on my PSU but all my extra PSU cables are at my parents house

Me being me I decided to try connect it somewhere else. I got it working with the jfp2 pins.To my understanding those pins are for front panel stuff.
Hence my question, even tho I've used it without any problems for a few hours now, is this potentially bad for my motherboard or is it safe?

rgd1101

Don't
th

you mean these that have nothing to do with fan.

just because it fit, doesn't mean you can plug into them

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
None of the circuitry in either of those 2 pinouts is designed for constant (upto) 12v usage, which is what your fan will try and pull in order to work. Those pins consist of leds, speaker, buzzer, on/off switch which are all low voltage or momentary.

You can use a fan on them, no stopping you there. You can also jump in front of a bus, no saying you can't do that either. But the consequences of either action will be disastrous no matter how you want to look at it.

Your fans won't go to the psu. Just get a $5 2-way splitter and stick 2 fans to a motherboard fan header, preferably not the one controlling and labeled as cpu_fan.

May 28, 2019
I've accidently had a fan plugged to this connector before for a few days. That's how I knew it would work.
And I know I shouldn't be plugging in stuff where it doesn't belong but Im buying a new PC so im not super worried about anything breaking as long as it survives long enough for my new pc parts to get here :). But on the other hand I don't wanna risk something catching on fire due to some electrical error. Im just gonna unplug it for now, thanks boys!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Psus have changed. Many old, old designs, before even Sata came about, used molex for everything except the floppy drive, even the vast majority of case fans were molex powered. So it's not surprising to see some psus still around with ports labeled as Fans. Nowadays, ports are usually labeled pcie or peripherals or Sata etc.