Case fan connection to the computer

JimmyCao

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
Hey guys,

I bought a Noctua NF-F12 PWM. It is 4-pin PWM. Using it as a fan on the liquid cooling unit, or whatever that may be called. My liquid cooling unit seems to have a fan in front (visible) and behind it (blocked from view as it's facing the back ventilated panel of the tower case).

I'm trying to replace the fan that's visible in front of the liquid cooling unit.

I looked around in my computer and didn't find any connectors suitable to use. The old fan looks like a 3-pin, but it's y-corded into a large connector (I assume it's called the POWER ADAPTER) and the 3-pin head is left unused.

I noticed there were several 4-pin PWM sockets on my motherboard. As a test I connected my new fan to that and it seemed to start spinning.

So the question is, is that appropriate or is there a proper way to do it (adapter cable so I can connect it to the POWER ADAPTER)? I reference this picture when I talk about the power adapter:

http://www.evercool.com.tw/categories/global/cables/fancablesadapters/ec-df002/images/02.jpg

So it looks like connecting directly to the motherboard may not be appropriate - not sure.

Solution
I don't view the site for some reason, but I assume you mean a molex to 3 pin adapter (you can google it to see), that's just for when you don't have fan connectors on the motherboard, iirc, the fourth pin is a data pin, to control voltage or something. plus you can't control the fan speed with a adapter. Motherboard is great.
I don't view the site for some reason, but I assume you mean a molex to 3 pin adapter (you can google it to see), that's just for when you don't have fan connectors on the motherboard, iirc, the fourth pin is a data pin, to control voltage or something. plus you can't control the fan speed with a adapter. Motherboard is great.

Solution