[SOLVED] Case Fan Extensions

Oct 22, 2022
I am in the process of building a new PC. I am relatively inexperienced as a builder so I apologize if my questions are dumb ones.
Anyway, I purchased three Noctua NF-A14 PWM fans to replace the three pin Noctua fans in my Fractal Design Define 7 XL case.

The new fans have very short cables and a 12 inch extension on them. Here are my questions:

1) Can I add a one or two foot extension cable to the initial arrangement? In other words, can I have two extension cables on one fan?
Or should I purchase a longer extension so that I will only have one extension on each cable.

2) I am also considering adding a splitter and/or a low noise adapter (Noctua NA-SRC7, 4 Pin Low-Noise Adaptor Cables for PC Fans) to these fans
but either of these options increase the number of extensions on each cable. Question is very similar to number one, is there a problem with
multiple extension cables?

3) The pre-installed case fans at the front of the case were set up "side-by-side" where the bottom portion of the top fan sat directly
on the top portion of the lower fan. It appears that I can't replicate that exact arrangement because the connector on the new fans
will be in the way. I have space where I could lower the bottom fan and leave about 1 inch of space between the fans. If I do this,
will this impair cooling of the system?

I appreciate any help or advice you can offer me. BTW, this PC will be used for video and photo editing. No gaming and no overclocking.

Solution
Yes, you can have more than one extension cable on each fan, but it would probably be better, look better, less bulky, fewer "connection points" to simply get extensions that are the length you need.

Like these or something similar: https://www.amazon.com/QIVYNSRY-Extension-Sleeved-Braided-Computer/dp/B097NZJNZ6

Don't use the low noise adapters. They reduce noise by reducing voltage. You can reduce noise by simply creating a lower RPM fan curve in the BIOS.

You can turn the fans so that the connector comes out the side instead of top or bottom, and then there is no problem. I have ALL NF-A14 fans in my case, with three of them in the front of my Fractal Design Define S2, and there is no problem with them being very close or...
Yes, you can have more than one extension cable on each fan, but it would probably be better, look better, less bulky, fewer "connection points" to simply get extensions that are the length you need.

Like these or something similar: https://www.amazon.com/QIVYNSRY-Extension-Sleeved-Braided-Computer/dp/B097NZJNZ6

Don't use the low noise adapters. They reduce noise by reducing voltage. You can reduce noise by simply creating a lower RPM fan curve in the BIOS.

You can turn the fans so that the connector comes out the side instead of top or bottom, and then there is no problem. I have ALL NF-A14 fans in my case, with three of them in the front of my Fractal Design Define S2, and there is no problem with them being very close or "side by side".

Reactions: Paperdoc
Solution
Oct 22, 2022
Thanks for your response. I have already turned them around. Probably should have figured that out earlier but I was trying to route the cables exactly as the original three pin cables were set up in the case.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Dark Breeze is exactly right: "Don't use the low noise adapters." The ONLY way a fan's noise can be reduced is to slow it down, reducing the cooling it is supposed to provide. You can NOT get LESS noise with the SAME cooling from a fan. There is NO "free lunch". Those Noctua Low Noise adapters really are to be used only when you are powering the fan from a fixed 12 VDC power source with NO ability to alter fan speed, like from a PSU Molex output. By using such an adapter in that case you can get lower noise than full speed, but you also get fixed cooling LESS than the fan's max potential. If that is sufficient cooling, you are OK.