[SOLVED] Case fan help

BunnyKraken

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
Hi,

Im building my pc, and I have the Fractal design define S2 case, and it has preinstalled 2x 140mm front and 1x140mm back. I plan to use my Noctua NH-D15s the fan in the same direction as the front and rear fans so it blows in the same direction.

My question is that I have 3 extra 140mm fans that I could install. How should I install the extra fans, i've read that its not a good idea to put the top fans on top of the cpu cooler for exhaust air outake, because it could blow air from the GPU more into the CPU.

So should I just install 1 more front fan and maybe 2 bottom intake fans ? Or just the 1 front 1 bottom and 1 top exhaust ?

Also do you think this case is enough for a standard gaming case, I've read that its not so much hotter than the Fractal meshify, I don't plan to overclock or anything like that. Also would a full E-ATX tower be more cooler and future proofed ?

Solution
That is a very good case.
I would leave the extra fans off and check your temps under load.
Adding more fans don't always make things run cooler.

The Fractal design define S2 is very good as is, but since you have extra fans ....I might add one fan at the top to exhaust warm air a bit faster.
You could test it with the extra fans and without them and see which configuration performs better.
That is a very good case.
I would leave the extra fans off and check your temps under load.
Adding more fans don't always make things run cooler.

The Fractal design define S2 is very good as is, but since you have extra fans ....I might add one fan at the top to exhaust warm air a bit faster.
You could test it with the extra fans and without them and see which configuration performs better.

Reactions: BunnyKraken
Solution

BunnyKraken

Commendable
Dec 17, 2020
Wow, thanks for your quick replies. Would it be okey to add for example 1 more front fan so there would be 3 and 1 bottom fan just under the front fans?
I would like to add the extra fans, but if causes more negative airflow or messes the airflow more, then I wont add any.

Also If I add the top exhaust fan(s) is it supposed to be at the rear end, and top of the CPU cooler or in the middle or at the front end ?

Wow, thanks for your quick replies. Would it be okey to add for example 1 more front fan so there would be 3 and 1 bottom fan just under the front fans?
I would like to add the extra fans, but if causes more negative airflow or messes the airflow more, then I wont add any.

Also If I add the top exhaust fan(s) is it supposed to be at the rear end, and top of the CPU cooler or in the middle or at the front end ?

Depending where the case is located, I might not place any fans at the bottom...it might just bring more dust and lint into the case.
I usually place top fans right above the CPU cooler, that way heat from the CPU leaves the case faster.

Also know that adding more fans into a PC case doesn't translate into better cooling or air flow. Each configuration might be slightly different so we might end up with different results,

I suggest you use the case as is and see the temperatures you get...then add one or two fans on top and compare results and see if there is any improvement.
The NH-D15s is very capable, even in lesser PC cases...so don't get too worked out...and enjoy your build...