[SOLVED] Case Fan Hub OR Direct Connection To Motherboard?

Bisquik

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I've never used a fan hub before. So this is new to me.

Should I keep my fans connected to the included case fan hub or should I move them to the individual CHA_FAN connections on my motherboard? *

Are there advantages to using the hub over the motherboard connections?
Are there advantages to using the motherboard connections over the hub, like individual fan control?

IF I should use the case fan hub, I'm guessing the hub should then be connected to CHA_FAN1 then? Or does it matter which CHA_FAN connector I use (my MB has three specific CHA_FAN connections)?

I have the Phanteks Eclipse C600.
* I am using the three included case fans (unless they are too noisy, but I will keep using three fans from another brand in that situation).

Solution
Unless you don't have enough fan headers on the motherboard, or your cabling can't reach where it needs to but CAN reach to the hub, I'd try to use the motherboard headers personally.

One difference is that if you connect them to the hub, ALL case fans that are connected to it will have the same variable ratio. That might mean a faster or slower actual RPM based on what that fan's specifications are, but you won't be able to tailor each fan independently. For many, that doesn't matter, so long as all fans have a variable speed based on temperature.

Also, if your board supports it and most do these days, I'd make sure that whatever fan header gets used for the hub OR each fan header if you use those directly, has it's "source" set to...
Unless you don't have enough fan headers on the motherboard, or your cabling can't reach where it needs to but CAN reach to the hub, I'd try to use the motherboard headers personally.

One difference is that if you connect them to the hub, ALL case fans that are connected to it will have the same variable ratio. That might mean a faster or slower actual RPM based on what that fan's specifications are, but you won't be able to tailor each fan independently. For many, that doesn't matter, so long as all fans have a variable speed based on temperature.

Also, if your board supports it and most do these days, I'd make sure that whatever fan header gets used for the hub OR each fan header if you use those directly, has it's "source" set to the motherboard thermal diode in the BIOS settings and not to "CPU" or "GPU". Usually these will be set to motherboard by default, while CPU FAN will be set to CPU, but it is worth checking anyhow. Be sure when you go into the BIOS that you change from the default EZ view to the advanced view so those settings will be available IF it has both types of views.

Solution

Bisquik

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Thank you Darkbreeze. I do like the idea of individual fan control. What you wrote makes sense.

And thank you for the BIOS advice. I will look for those temperature settings.