[SOLVED] Case fan recommendation

Bobas1

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
Hello everybody!

Sorry in advance for my, not perfect, English, and rather long post.

Recently, I started researching case fans. I was surprised to see that so many different fans are on the market, and that you can choose between air flow and air pressure. Also, i was never a fan (get it?) of lightning effects, but not long ago I received a sharkoon s25 case with blue led fans, and i kinda started liking how it looks like when lights are off. So now i decided to buy some led case fans which also provide good performance, since I'm planning to upgrade my rig, and I'll need some extra cooling. But to do so, I'm gonna need your help. Also, i have to add that i can install 2x 140mm fans in front for intake and 1x 140 at rear for exhaust.
So the models I can't choose between are:

1. Deepcool rf140
  2. Thermaltake pure plus 14 LED
  3. RAIJINTEK Iris 14 Rainbow
  4. COOLERMASTER MasterFan Pro 140
  5. GAMDIAS Aeolus M1 140

So, there are 5 models which are in affordable price range for me, and all of those i can buy in a bundle of 2 or 3 with controller. Somehow I'm leaning towards the first 3. Please recommend me one of those 5 or list them from best to worst. Feel free to add some other models in the same price range.

I also have to add that I'm going to use 3x 120mm fans at top and they are probably going to be arctic cooling fw12 pwm pst,even though they're not led, but i heard really positive opinions abou those, and they're as cheap as 4 euro.

Solution
You can use a powered splitter (that's one that plugs into both a header and the psu) with the pwm fans and control all three arctics from 1 source. The TT's get controlled by their box from another header, the box basically acting as a powered splitter that gets hooked up to USB I think.

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Here are my two recommended fans:
Noctua NF-A14
Corsair ML140 Premium Levitation Fans

I personally use the Corsair Magnetic Levitation fans and I can say that they are excellent for moving air, and they are very quiet at high RPMs. Noctua is always a super safe when it comes to most things cooling. Either of those fans would be slightly better options that you have listed. I hope that helps out a bit.

Bobas1

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
Ty for your recommendation, i also considered corsair ml, but that one is much more expensive in comparison with those 5 i listed. And noctua is just ugly to me and doesn't have leds, and also more expensive. My budget is around 15e per one.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The TT pure plus 14 are the best of the bunch. And don't go by stats alone, fan curves are not linear, they don't go in straight 1-1 comparison. That means at 50% duty cycle you are not getting 50% cfm. Many fans don't have decent airflow until reaching max speed. You won't be using the fans at max very much, mostly in the lower % range, gaming maybe 60%, so it's actually a benefit to use slower speed fans (much quieter) as you can increase duty cycle and get higher performance for less noise.

Bobas1

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
Hmm, that's an interesting observation. Ty for your suggestion! Actually, at first, TT was my first pick until recently, because they have higher cfm, and they look awesome. But then i saw they have only 3 pin connectors, and a lot of users complain about their softver, so idk man. I'd like to hear more opinions.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In TT defense, 3 pin usually means they run analog, 5v-12v as far as the motor goes. This gives a range of 40%-100%. Pwm fans can go as low as 20%. Now if you are pushing a 1200rpm pwm fan, that's @250rpm to 1200rpm. Who in their right mind spins fans, especially cpu or exhaust fans at 250rpm, even at idle. The cfm output is next to nothing at that rpm with almost 0 static pressure. The TT's are designed to be used with their box, nothing else, to control the fans and RGB. I can see complaints from ppl wanting to bypass that and use the TT's directly to the cpu_fan, which happens to be dedicated pwm, no analog.

And everybody has complaints about software. I like CAM. I think it did a great job. Others hate it. I don't like Corsair Link, could never get it to work right. Others swear by it. Much of it is personal preferences, what they want out of the software and what it actually does and doesn't do for them.

Bobas1

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
Sorry for late responses, I've got a lot of going on at work, so i barely catch some free time.
Anyway, I didn't really understand the first part, but you seem to know a lot about fans, and you're already helping me a lot.
Oh yeah, i forgot to add that my mobo is Asus b350 prime plus, so am i completely fine if i go with 3x tt pure plus 14? I want to be able to control their rpm cause i don't want them to run at 100% 24/7 and be noisy. If i understood well the first part of your post, these fans have decent air flow and pressure even if under 100% which is great. Right?

Last edited:

Bobas1

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
Bump...
Also, i plan to add 3x arctic cooling f12 pwm fans on top of the case, so total 6 fans (with 3x tt pure plus 14 which i definitely decided to buy). So my ultimate question is: can i install all of them on my motherboard (asus b350 prime plus) and also be able to control their rpm?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can use a powered splitter (that's one that plugs into both a header and the psu) with the pwm fans and control all three arctics from 1 source. The TT's get controlled by their box from another header, the box basically acting as a powered splitter that gets hooked up to USB I think.

Reactions: Bobas1
Solution

TRENDING THREADS