Case fan spins but CPU fan doesn't! Help!

Fellanah

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
so right now I'm panicking, I was totally not expecting my computer to end up like this. Short story is, I hooked up a USB LED strip to my monitors USB port, turned computer on, all was fine until my computer suddenly turned itself off and both cpu fans and gpu fans stopped spinning completely. I was not able to check if my psu fan was spinning as I do not have the time right now. However, what was bizarre was that my case fan lights up and spins normally so that has to mean something. May or may not be related but after a long time of maybe 4 months, today my computer restarted saying that a power surge was detected and asus anti surge was triggered. This happened before and I ignored it and months later it was fine until this unfortunate event.

Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do? I am planning to reseat my graphics card or try it on another computer if its actually dead, same with my cpu, I will swap my psu as well and reseat my ram sticks. Reset the CMOS battery as well. What else should I do? I'm really worried, I don't want my 4790k and 980ti to be dead. Thanks in advance everybody!

Solution
- Hardware damage is unlikely especially as the USB strip wasn't even connected directly to the PC. Unplug the LED strip and see if it stops the issue.

- ASUS Anti-surge can also be disabled. It is known to be problematic. You may not actually have a problem at all besides this program. If you cannot get into your BIOS settings, a CMOS reset can help with this. Hooking the display up directly to the motherboard can bypass the graphics card if you still cannot get video.

- Bad PSU can cause ASUS anti-surge to trip. If you have a different PSU it would be a good idea to try it or get a shop to test yours.

jr9

Estimable
- Hardware damage is unlikely especially as the USB strip wasn't even connected directly to the PC. Unplug the LED strip and see if it stops the issue.

- ASUS Anti-surge can also be disabled. It is known to be problematic. You may not actually have a problem at all besides this program. If you cannot get into your BIOS settings, a CMOS reset can help with this. Hooking the display up directly to the motherboard can bypass the graphics card if you still cannot get video.

- Bad PSU can cause ASUS anti-surge to trip. If you have a different PSU it would be a good idea to try it or get a shop to test yours.

Solution

Fellanah

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
my hardware specs are as follows:
-i7 4790k (4GHz undervolted to 1.12v before it
stopped booting)
-980ti
-8GB of adata ram 2x4GB
-corsair rm750
-z97-p mono

thank you two so much for reassuring me there's a chance its all fine! I will try it when I get back home from school. Yes it is cheap USB leds, reviews on it were good and the price was too hard to pass up on(around 3USD for 2m) I will get back to you guys when I have some results thank you again!