[SOLVED] Case Fans and LED Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2018
I recently built my first pc and everything works fine except for the fans that came with my case, as well as the case itself in regards to the LED's on them. The fans run fine and the case ports and buttons work but the LED's won't light up. I've checked multiple times to make sure that my motherboard ports are in the correct spot as well. The reason I'm stuck is because my case came with a little plug in motherboard type of thing which the case fans connect to and is powered through my PSU. So when I go into the bios it technically doesn't recognize my fans because they aren't directly ported into my motherboard even though the LED, reset, power switch run through this case board. My RGB Ram and motherboard do work however and show up in the bios. I have a B450 MSI Tomahawk and my case is the Rainbow V2 and any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I just saw a video, there are RGB headers on your motherboard. Don't use a fan plug for this. Look in your manual to locate them. On my Z370 they are on the edge near the USB plugs. You will see they have the 3rd pin missing.
Dec 31, 2018

Right but since my motherboard is not connected to my fans, it does not recognize them in any of the software apps. My fans are connected to my case and my case is therefore connected to my motherboard. This means I can't change the LED's since my motherboard only recognizes that I'm running power to my case and doesn't recognize the LED's. Is there a way for me to have my motherboard recognize my case and case fans?

gtr22

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I looked up your case on newegg, the reviewers are mentioning a controller board for the LED's. Do you have one? Maybe it's missing?
DIYPC Rainbow-Flash-V2 Black Dual

Some also had problems getting the led's to work.

Dec 31, 2018

Yeah that appears to be what my fans are plugged into. It seems that I would have to connect the pwm cord into my motherboard for it to work right? Or am I mistaken? Either way I have left the cord unplugged from my motherboard which could be the issue I've had because I can't find a place to plug it in to my motherboard. The port is two pins with a space in between another. It sort of looks like this [o] [o] [ ] [o]. I would imagine all three have to be plugged in to make the controller work but there aren't pins on my motherboard that have a missing space in the third pin slot.

Dec 31, 2018

There are four pin fan slots, but the blank spot for the third pin is filled in plastic. So I can't plug it into a four pin slot without breaking a pin on the space where a third spot should be.

gtr22

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Ok, I saw someone on that Newegg review said the exact same thing. He said it doesn't fit because his motherboard is an older model. Yours is a new model right? I would contact MSI forums or tech support, see if they know which cable adapter will fit it. There are people on that review who had no problems with setting it up.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353148&Description=DIYPC%20Rainbow-Flash-V2%20Black%20Dual%20&cm_re=DIYPC_Rainbow-Flash-V2_Black_Dual-_-11-353-148-_-Product

gtr22

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I just saw a video, there are RGB headers on your motherboard. Don't use a fan plug for this. Look in your manual to locate them. On my Z370 they are on the edge near the USB plugs. You will see they have the 3rd pin missing.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.