Question Case fans becoming loud and system crashing intermittently, possibly after Win 10 update

JasonTD

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
I recently have been having a problem with my computer crashing out intermittently. I've checked temperatures with Core Temp and haven't seen anything unusual there, and I haven't been able to identify anything specific happening before the crashes. Of course, it's possible that there could be a temperature problem at the exact times of the crashes, and I'm just seeing normal temps when I look at the app in between.

Every time, the case fans spin up to a high speed and become very loud, and the screen goes black. The power light on the case stays turned on, but I can't recover without resetting the system. If I hit the reset button on the case, the computer will restart like usual and boot up into Windows 10 without any trouble. I also can power it down and do a cold boot with no issues. I've had no other problems with the system, aside from this new loud fan/crashing issue.

I'm not positive, but I think this started happening after a recent Windows 10 update that I ran about a week or so ago. That could be coincidental, but I'm wondering if that update could have messed something up. I don't know how to check that out, though.

Could someone help me identify what's causing this and how to fix it? Here are my current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Cores, 4 Logical Processors
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Installed RAM: 16GB
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

I'm not sure what other info you might need, but I'll be happy to supply any additional details.

Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Intermittent crashes - faulty/failing PSU perhaps....

PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Look in the Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings just before or at the time of the crashes.

The logs may be capturing some problem.

JasonTD

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
Intermittent crashes - faulty/failing PSU perhaps....

PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Look in the Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings just before or at the time of the crashes.

The logs may be capturing some problem.

Thank you for the response! My PSU is:

Corsair CX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020061-NA)

I just got this one in December of last year, so I'd be surprised if that's the culprit already.

I checked out the Reliability History, and it does have records of the times Windows has shut down improperly. I'm not positive what I should be looking at there, though. Under Critical Events for today, it lists:

12:35pm - Windows - Windows was not properly shut down
12:36pm - Tablet Service for professional driver - Stopped working
12:38pm - Xbox - Stopped responding and was closed
12:51pm - Windows - Hardware error
12:51pm - Windows - Windows was not properly shut down
12:54pm - Tablet Service for professional driver - Stopped working
12:54pm - Tablet Service for professional driver - Stopped working

I clicked into the Hardware error entry, as that sounded the most ominous. Here's what that showed me:

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎6/‎21/‎2019 12:51 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffa50f610c1010
Parameter 2: fffff8012f304148
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 47b0
OS version: 10_0_18362
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.18362.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Pascal_3D
Server information: d1330f8f-53a2-4216-bcc2-7853c439461f

Is there anything I can glean from that? Or maybe something else that I could share that would help narrow this down?

Thanks again!

JasonTD

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
The scan just finished, and it says, "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." That sounds like a good thing, but I'm not sure whether it helps narrow down the issue. Is there something else I can try after that? Thank you!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019
I had an issue with this recently. I updated my gpu and driver, and when I shut down to do so, unplugged unit, pressed and held power button for 15 sec, and reset my CMOS by way of the battery on the mobo