[SOLVED] Case fans - is Noctua really worth it?

nothera

Commendable
May 7, 2017
Hello, I have Fractal Design R4 case(old I know) with Fractal Design R2 144mm fans, which has 66 CFM with 18,5 db noise level. I was thinking. Maybe after all those years there is something better then that. Every fan test showing Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM is the best at the moment. But it wouldn't be much of an upgade, now would it?
Thanks

Solution
I dont really. I just wanted to upgrade to cool my system better, but I am not really sure there is a point at the moment.
If you've already got the optimal fan setup in your case, replacing the fans won't show a significant improvement.
Front: 2x intake
Rear: Exhaust
Top: Depends on your cooler. With an air cooler, you don't want the first top fan 'in front of it', or it ends up pulling cool air out before it can feed the cooler. In that case, it would be better to remove it.
Bottom: The weakest intake - practically useless. The restrictions are too strong. You'd have to run the fan at max to get any reasonable amount of air through here, and it would still be weaker than the others...
Side: Disregard if you have the window...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I dont really. I just wanted to upgrade to cool my system better, but I am not really sure there is a point at the moment.
If you've already got the optimal fan setup in your case, replacing the fans won't show a significant improvement.
Front: 2x intake
Rear: Exhaust
Top: Depends on your cooler. With an air cooler, you don't want the first top fan 'in front of it', or it ends up pulling cool air out before it can feed the cooler. In that case, it would be better to remove it.
Bottom: The weakest intake - practically useless. The restrictions are too strong. You'd have to run the fan at max to get any reasonable amount of air through here, and it would still be weaker than the others...
Side: Disregard if you have the window model. You'd have to experiment with this one, as it can do more harm than good.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS