Question Case fans stop spinning

grizly

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
Hi everybody,

In the last 2 days, I've noticed that my top case fans stop spinning quite frequently (there are 2 of them) - On startup they spin for a few seconds and then stop. I have 3 voltage modes (5V, 7V, and 12V) and when I play with them the fans sometimes start spinning again.

I've had my PC for 10 years now (with no problems), and I haven't changed any component in the last 3. The PSU, fans, and mobo I didn't change at all.

Overall I have 5 case fans :
2 Fractal fans that work fine.
3 Cougar CF-V12H fans - The bottom fan works perfectly fine. The 2 top fans are the problem.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If those are the 3wire analog fans, the low end of 5v is really pushing the luck as that's right around the cutoff point of voltage required to spin. If there's any type of corrosion or oxidation build up in the switch, it can create enough of a resistance to actually baulk the voltage to the fan.

Since the fans are fine, other than the top 2x have developed issues, the switch would be suspect in my mind, especially since adjustments seem to temporarily fix that.

Physically swapping a top fan for the working bottom fan will say if it's the fans themselves, bearings worn out etc, or the switch.

grizly

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
If those are the 3wire analog fans, the low end of 5v is really pushing the luck as that's right around the cutoff point of voltage required to spin. If there's any type of corrosion or oxidation build up in the switch, it can create enough of a resistance to actually baulk the voltage to the fan.

Since the fans are fine, other than the top 2x have developed issues, the switch would be suspect in my mind, especially since adjustments seem to temporarily fix that.

Physically swapping a top fan for the working bottom fan will say if it's the fans themselves, bearings worn out etc, or the switch.

Thank you.

I will try your solution later, but assuming it's the switch, is it possible to clean it or replace it?
My case is Fractal Design Define R4.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe, can try flooding it with isopropyl alcohol or electrical contact cleaner (same thing but is 100% isopropyl) and move the switch back and forth a bunch of times, but honestly I never used that switch in my R5, my fans were motherboard controlled instead. That way they went faster as the case got hot or dead slow at idle (nice and quiet) and required no input from me. Just optimized the fans, set the fan curve where I wanted it and forgot about them for the next 6 years.

grizly

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
Maybe, can try flooding it with isopropyl alcohol or electrical contact cleaner (same thing but is 100% isopropyl) and move the switch back and forth a bunch of times, but honestly I never used that switch in my R5, my fans were motherboard controlled instead. That way they went faster as the case got hot or dead slow at idle (nice and quiet) and required no input from me. Just optimized the fans, set the fan curve where I wanted it and forgot about them for the next 6 years.

Thank you very much, maybe I will do that too :)

TRENDING THREADS