Question Case recommendation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
I was messing with my case tonight (coolermaster masterbox) to see if I had loose wires/ cpu cooler coming loose just examining while I cleaned it out and decided to retighten my gpu screws that hold the gpu in and stripped the case outpaet out so I don't have screws holding it in , I then noticed this case wasn't new when I bought this pc as the lower screws have been used and it wasn't by me so it was most likely stripped already, I have been doing things with this pc for a few days now to try to fix the issues I have had just to have this happen 😢, I'm fed up and tired of sinking money into this thing when I could of already built a pc with a better mobo/processor as much as I've spent upgrading things in this I didn't know needed upgraded when I bought it!

Anyways I'm looking for a case recommendation something not cheap made and easy to build in so when I do upgrade it will be here

I have a msi b550m pro vdh wifi motherboard.
Ryzen 5 3600 cpu stock cooler (might as we upgrade that while I'm at it)
Asus ko 3060ti 8 gb gpu
Seasonic gold focus 850 watt psu
I have 5 case fans in this (just ordered all the cables to hook them up finally)
1 m.2
1 ssd
I don't know what else you all need to know I'm Just super bummed out and want to get this headache over with, my next upgrade is a X570 with a 5900x

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
I guess, you're hell-bent on getting a new case, even if current case might be perfectly fine.
Just don't fall in that RGB craziness. It brings nothing to performance and becomes old/mundane very fast.
Not hell bent I'm looking for cheaper cases for this combo as my Temps do get warm but I'm adding more fans today, I'm doing a black out build after I get my implants which I think I've found the perfect case for... its amazing, I found nuts that fit the screws, they are very secure but I worry they'll come loose and they're goes either my gpu or my motherboard, my next build (5900x, X570 this 3060ti) all artic non rgb fans or noctua haven't decided maybe a small accent strip for minimal rgb to give it some flare, after that's built I'll put my 1660 super back into this build with the 3600, b550 and use this as a secondary pc, so I'm just trying to make sure I don't ruin things, I posted a video to you of the fix I did, I don't know if the screws can be too tight but they are super Tight so they don't come loose, maybe when I have the computer store do my cpu cooler they can fix the screw holes also

This is the fractal blackout case for when I do my new build

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
With your components I'd suggest avoiding cases with closed front.
Mesh front for adequate airflow is a must.

Something like
Fractal Design Meshify C mini,​
Fractal Design Torrent Compact,​
CM Mastercase TD300 Mesh​
or similar.​
So you want a full open front instead of just the huge openings around the glass? The fractal design
There's no resaon for them to become loose. Unless you move your case around a lot.
Okay I don't move it at all except here when I take it in to get a cpu cooler if adding more case fans doesn't help the Temps, right now I just have 3 (2, 120 inlets 1, 120 exhaust) im adding 2 more inlets today, I was told if my case don't have good air flow a cpu cooler won't do anything so I'm trying to figure out how to tell if my case is good on flow so I don't waste money on a cooler that won't do anything if my case isn't adequate.

But that'll get complicated if I keep going on, so I did tighten the screws up Really tight into the nuts so they don't fall off, is there such thing as too tight?

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
With your components I'd suggest avoiding cases with closed front.
Mesh front for adequate airflow is a must.

Something like
Fractal Design Meshify C mini,​
Fractal Design Torrent Compact,​
CM Mastercase TD300 Mesh​
or similar.​
This case is also amazing but it's all RGB , could switch out for non rgb or maybe they make one that's a blackout version.

Fractal Design Define S2 Vision RGB ATX
edit nm that is the rgb version of the other one I sent you said get open front

Last edited:
I was told if my case don't have good air flow a cpu cooler won't do anything so I'm trying to figure out how to tell if my case is good on flow so I don't waste money on a cooler that won't do anything if my case isn't adequate.

You can't find out all of that stuff with any accuracy without experimentation and trial and error.

Sure, you can speculate.

If you can stipulate that any case you will eventually buy will accept coolers up to 160 mm in height, I'd just buy a mid level single tower Noctua or equivalent below that height. Maybe a Dark Rock. Pay some attention to reviews and the mounting system.

The case may have 3 or 10 case mounts. Decide if you insist on the flashing light stuff (RGB). Buy 3 plausible fans, RGB or non-RGB. Experiment on where they are most effective considering your BIOS fan speed control and your tolerance for noise.

Install more than 3 fans if and only if the first 3 prove to be insufficient by actual test in your home using your chosen case.

What is insufficient? Maybe you hurl yourself off a bridge if temps are 60. Maybe you laugh if temps are 70. Those are both nothing but personal choices with minimal if any correlation to anything.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
We still haven't seen a decent photo of your pc case. Show the damn photo.

It has closed front.
With your high power components it wouldn't be appropriate choice.
I did post the pic of my case like a page back lol

It has closed front.
My pc

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
You can't find out all of that stuff with any accuracy without experimentation and trial and error.

Sure, you can speculate.

If you can stipulate that any case you will eventually buy will accept coolers up to 160 mm in height, I'd just buy a mid level single tower Noctua or equivalent below that height. Maybe a Dark Rock. Pay some attention to reviews and the mounting system.

The case may have 3 or 10 case mounts. Decide if you insist on the flashing light stuff (RGB). Buy 3 plausible fans, RGB or non-RGB. Experiment on where they are most effective considering your BIOS fan speed control and your tolerance for noise.

Install more than 3 fans if and only if the first 3 prove to be insufficient by actual test in your home using your chosen case.

What is insufficient? Maybe you hurl yourself off a bridge if temps are 60. Maybe you laugh if temps are 70. Those are both nothing but personal choices with minimal if any correlation to anything.
Got the fans installed, put nuts on the screws that fixed the stripped out case issue but I'd still feel better if I got a,case but others say it's not going anywhere and it's good to go. I'll think about it and if the new fans don't cool enough I'll take the pc in for a new cooler but I need to make sure it's not the case hindering the cooling of the gpu/cpu and see if they can fix the case if not ill decide on the case then

Installed

Last edited:
I did post the pic of my case like a page back lol
That photo was just showing off your RGB. Case itself wasn't actually visible.
Ok. This is a good photo. Your case looks fine.
Not sure, why you hate it.
Got the fans installed
Those top fans are actually counter productive. I'd remove them.
Top fan closer to front - takes air from upper front fan and expels it out of the case, before air was able to reach cpu cooler and do any cooling.
With 3 exhaust fans you get negative pressure and dust gets dragged in from all the possible openings in case.
Will lead to increased dust accumulation.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
That photo was just showing off your RGB. Case itself wasn't actually visible.

Ok. This is a good photo. Your case looks fine.
Not sure, why you hate it.

Those top fans are actually counter productive. I'd remove them.
Top fan closer to front - takes air from upper front fan and expels it out of the case, before air was able to reach cpu cooler and do any cooling.
With 3 exhaust fans you get negative pressure and dust gets dragged in from all the possible openings in case.
Will lead to increased dust accumulation.
Yeah I turned them around they are inlets now, I was standing on my head and didn't realize they were exhaust, but even adding 2 more inlets as I see most have my gpu actually gets warmer and that's confusing, before the additions gpu was 68-70, it's gotten to 74 once but that was on balanced power mode, 99% processor state which I found out affects other components as well but I have to do that or my cpu shoots to over 80, gpu getting warmer is super confusing to me, I have 4 inlets one outlet.

I don't hate the case that's not the issue, the issue was I am worried about the card coming loose and costing me a whole lot more money than a case would, I actually like the case I just don't like the fact it's stripped out with a gpu I can never replace for what I paid for it, I'm one of those people that over think and worry about everything abs want everything perfect.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021

It has closed front.
Update : everything still gets extremely warm.. well what I consider warm anyways,, gpu gets up to 73-75, I did accidentally default my fan curves in my bios when I went to change pump fan to smart, I have no idea what they were to start with but I redid them, all fans from 0°-55° run at 40% then ramp to 75% at 65° 100% at 70°, exhaust is 5% extra (45%/80%:100%), I have maybe 1.5 "from the bottom of my case to my gpu fans so I'm thinking there's just not enough airflow so that's way the gpu gets warm, it however is summer and muggy but I have ac so probably not but it could be a reason it gets warmer than it did before, CPU still stays cool at 60° but it's still running it at 99%, another user recommended a new cpu cooler so I can run it at 100%/so I'm looking into that but I have a micro ATX case, do you know anything about case fan curve settings in the bios that you can recommend that might help with better cooling? I'm pretty sure I got it set up right but I wanna make sure, all the fans are set temperature to cpu core not cpu socket, idle Temps are 34° for both cpu/gpu sys 35°

Update : everything still gets extremely warm.. ................do you know anything about case fan curve settings in the bios that you can recommend that might help with better cooling?

It shouldn't be mysterious beyond simple trial and error.

Run all fans at full throttle 100 percent of the time.

If that is too noisy (in your opinion) or still too warm (in your opinion), you likely get to consider a new case, a new cooler, or new case fans....or some combination of those.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
It shouldn't be mysterious beyond simple trial and error.

Run all fans at full throttle 100 percent of the time.

If that is too noisy (in your opinion) or still too warm (in your opinion), you likely get to consider a new case, a new cooler, or new case fans....or some combination of those.
Yeah I just think the cards to big for this case, its literally only 1.5 inches away from the bottom, the front fans are 3 pin that don't really push alot of air at 60% (7.2 v) they only run at 840 rpm while the other fans are 1200-1240 at 40%, I found out today that my surgical procedure should be 100% covered so if that's the case I will just do all the upgrades I planned on doing after. T procedure (case /5900x, cooler, psu) or should I wait for the new chips? I don't have a bunch of money but if the new chips are not much more than the 5900x and bench alot higher it might be worth the wait and I'll just start turning this into my secondary pc and get the case and the cooler, a new tower cooler won't work optimal in this case as it's just so small with horrible airflow.