[SOLVED] Case RGB Lights Not Turning On

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Hi,

The usually bright RGB lights of my Cooler Master MB311L case cooling fans will no longer light at all.

I just replaced my Zotac 2070 Super Mini GPU with an ASUS Dual Mini V2 3060 ti GPU

Though I also recently replaced the standard storage HDD with a much larger NVME M.2 drive, I made no other changes, nor did I unplug anything else from the motherboard but the cords to the old hard drive.

The fans run fine, just no lights at all. I tried getting them to come on with the on/off button at the front of the case, and by using the botton on the RGB controller that came with the
tower.

The other RGB components in the box (CPU fan and memory) are working fine, but, from what I can see of the small RGB stripe on the GPU, it is displaying a steady pink/red tint, when I assume it's supposed to be cycling through the rainbow colors.

My EVGA PSU is 650 Watts and 80+ Gold Certified, the motherboard is an MSI Mortar Max B450, the CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600. All of the components were originally bought new, have been lightly used, and they've never given me any trouble.

While I don't need to have the fan lights on, I do miss the cheerful garishness of the computer, and I'm concerned about why the lights should have quit working with these changes, as appears to be the case.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I'd already reseated the cables, but I found a version of MysticLight 3 and downloaded it (I avoided originally downloading MysticLight because of the horror stories about Dragon Center's bloatware hell.

The fan lights are now shining dimly (Note: I didn't even realize the Mortar Max could do RGB on the board, albeit in a rudimentary way), but I think that their brightness is being affected by the fan speed. For whatever reason, that was never an issue with the Zotac GPU, but it is with the addition of the ASUS.

So, into the Bios I go, to see if I can a) change the fan speed, and b) if doing so makes any difference. If it doesn't, well... I'll be back.

Thanks for the suggestions.

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Well, that was as good thought. The back fan is working, though very dim... the front fans are not. Changing the fan speed did nothing to help. I'm just not sure what the heck to do, and I'm pretty frustrated, especially since it was all working perfectly well before I changed out the GPU.

EDIT: Well, my god... today's, "Why Yes, You ARE That Stupid" Award goes to... ME.

Went back through and did an actual, thorough check of all of the computer's connections--only to realize that I'd unplugged the RGB fans' connection to the PSU when I removed the old HDD. It's now plugged back in, the and fans are once again their old, unicorn-pukey selves again.

Remember, children, go full-basic and check EVERYTHING when something that worked perfectly well before suddenly stops working when you've "only changed one thing.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost