Case size for a first timer?

mlwilliamson

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017
I'm gonna start working on a pc build. Not an intense gamer, but I'd like to be able to play the games I like on high quality (bloodborne, ds3). I'm wondering if I should get a mid or full tower? I doubt I'll be 'upgrading' much once it's built. Mainly my concerns are cooling and sufficient space for the initial build. The cases I'm considering are the Phanteks P400 mid tower, and the Phanteks Emphoo Pro full tower. What do you all think?

Solution
Mid tower is always a good place to start.

Micro and smaller force you into a smaller platform to begin with that can really limit future growth.

Most half decent mid tower cases provide enough space for even watercooling.
Full is only people who need many many optical/hard drives or those who have very large custom watercooling setups that just wont fit in a mid case.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would get a mid tower case only as you don't plan on upgrading so don't need the extra space. I wouldn't have recommended anything smaller as they become difficult to build in if its your 1st time. Maybe one day I get a smaller PC but I always think about cooling and I always think I might buy something new in future

Both case sizes can take normal size motherboards so you right there.

Colif is spot on.

In addition, a lot of times, it comes down to preference. You're the one that has to stare at it all day, might as well get something you like. That said, I usually tell people if they think they are going to water cool at some point, full ATX is where to go. Otherwise, mid towers are easier to manage.

Also, there aren't a lot of full ATX cases I genuinely like that don't cost like 400 dollars, that's just me though

Colif

Win 11 Master

Think my case was the most expensive part last time so I know that feeling. I had known I wanted it from 1st time I saw it, 6 years before I made PC. I haven't seen any new cases I really want yet, for next time.

Jeez, that must be some case. Haha, what is it?

Mid tower is always a good place to start.

Micro and smaller force you into a smaller platform to begin with that can really limit future growth.

Most half decent mid tower cases provide enough space for even watercooling.
Full is only people who need many many optical/hard drives or those who have very large custom watercooling setups that just wont fit in a mid case.

Solution

I like it. solid and neutral.

Also, two internal 3.5 drive bays, good i/o on the front. and a side window for the L33T look. That's what I would go for

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Mid tower is almost ideal for a standard build. I'm assuming a normal quad-core CPU, micro-atx case, an SSD for a boot drive and a HDD for bulk storage, one fairly strong GPU. Mid-tower is more than enough.

My case? an OLD Antec 4400 series.

At one point I had:

Asus P7F7e-WS, watercooled, Xeon 3470, overclocked, dual GPUs in SLI, extra nic card, boot SSDs in RAID0, 3x4TB Segate ES drives. It was a stitch tight, but everything ran and worked fine.