[SOLVED] Case Suggestions regarding HDDs and Cooler.

Chris David

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Title.

I am trying to find a case that fit my Deepcool Assassin 3. The Requirements I have aren't that great, a PSU shroud as well as hide a lot of cables under, but the main issue being that I can't find many cases that have a lot of 3.5 /Desktop Size HDDs. Most cases these days don't have more than 2 HDD bays and it kinda sucks since I need a lot of storage.

Where I live, getting big capacity SSD's are out of question because of how much they cost and honestly, I don't see the purpose of having a high powered SSD for files that are just going to stay there and not get used that much unless somebody asks for said file.

Right now, I am using a 850 EVO for two main games, everything else is PS, Premiere and usual software stuff, my 2x2TB 7200 RPM drives work fine for any game I need to store, so I wouldn't mind installing a 5400 RPM 4TB Drive to keep all the files I need to keep (they have to be readily accessible and the way I cable manage things, it really is not easy to do any kind of hot-swaps or plug'n'play) most of them are just videos/clippings/edited stuff, torrents, backup stuff etc,

I tried to check for old cases that have those 5 or 6 3.5 inch bays in front, but most of what I can get don't seem to fit my cooler in and allow me to close the panel. I also don't like them because cable managing them is a bit of a challenge and the PSU shroud being non-existent kinda makes it impossible to do any sort of clean setups

Solution
Fractal design r6 or even the older r5 if it's available, the have always been great cases with good cooling and a LOT of hard drive bays.
What country are you shopping in?
What is your budget in local currency?

How many TB of storage do you need?
How many drives of what capacity do you own (we know a 850 Evo and 2x2TB hdds)
What form factor is your motherboard? (ATX, mATX, mITX)

A very nice cooler.
Your cooler needs 165mm to install.
I might suggest the cm HAF XB EVOwith 180mm headroom.
https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-master-haf-series-atx-desktop/p/N82E16811119265
There is space for two internal 3.5" drives as well as provision for two front mounted removable 3.5" drives.
There are two front 5.25" bays that can be used for dvd burner or front I/O additions.
They can be repurposed for drives.
The very nice thing about this case is that it is easy to work with.
It really is oriented to air cooling.

Chris David

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
A very nice cooler.
Your cooler needs 165mm to install.
I might suggest the cm HAF XB EVOwith 180mm headroom.
https://www.newegg.com/black-cooler-master-haf-series-atx-desktop/p/N82E16811119265
There is space for two internal 3.5" drives as well as provision for two front mounted removable 3.5" drives.
There are two front 5.25" bays that can be used for dvd burner or front I/O additions.
They can be repurposed for drives.
The very nice thing about this case is that it is easy to work with.
It really is oriented to air cooling.

Horizontal Setups aren't really my kinda thing, I do like their concept but its not sustainable, that being said, I've already looked at the HAF before, I wish I could buy it but the price is a bit too high for me.

Chris David

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Fractal design r6 or even the older r5 if it's available, the have always been great cases with good cooling and a LOT of hard drive bays.
Thank you for the help, I did not get the R6 or R5 but I did go for the Meshify S2, it has modular HDD bays which would prove very handy for me, it also checks off a number of stuff that I needed in a case and it has a front mesh which immensely helps with the airflow.

IMO, right now, Fractal Design cases are the best to go if you want a lot of 3.5 inch drives while still maintaining the funsies you get from a newer styled case. I've put off FD for a long time because of their prices here, but thanks to your suggestion, I went and looked back and it turns out they are a lot cheaper than they used to be.