[SOLVED] Case temperature when using external watercooling?

monttukani

Honorable
Mar 18, 2018
Hello all!
I'm preparing for a new build. I haven't yet decided if I'll go i9-13900K or Ryzen 7950 with the CPU.
But the GPU will most likely be a 7900xtx. I have my eyes on a ASRock RX 7900 XTX AQUA if I can find a palce that will sell them. Or maybe i can settle for a 6900xt if theres a good sale for a one with a factory installed waterblock.

Now to the point. I will repurpose a MO-RA3 360 core from my current pc. My plan is to build an external watercooling in a plywood box containing the rad, fans, pump and res. I don't think I will overclock, but it is an option I like to keep open. My point of watercooling is mostly silence. As it has been for the past 8 years. But I was never fully satisfied with my current pc's noise level.

I just orderer a Be quiet pure base 600 case.
Now I'm thinking about the heat build-up inside the case with this configuration. Should I be worried about cooling the mobo, NVMEs or rams? The case comes with one 120mm exhaust fan and one 140mm inlet. Should I consider a mobo waterblock?

Thanks!

Solution
Should I be worried about cooling the mobo, NVMEs or rams?
You don't need to worry about them, per se, just that you have some form of intake and exhaust for the chassis to aid in airflow over the parts that will reside inside the chassis. The parts that will be watercooled will have the heat taken away from them to your external radbox(which is what we would call a box under the case that had the radiators in and out of sight).

Should I consider a mobo waterblock?
I Would if I had the funds but then again...it's not necessary. Full cover waterblocks or motherboards that come with their own blocks are done by ASRock(as you may know by now) as does EKWB and Asus.

The watercooling sticky in my sig space also holds a lot of...

Lutfij

Titan
Should I be worried about cooling the mobo, NVMEs or rams?
You don't need to worry about them, per se, just that you have some form of intake and exhaust for the chassis to aid in airflow over the parts that will reside inside the chassis. The parts that will be watercooled will have the heat taken away from them to your external radbox(which is what we would call a box under the case that had the radiators in and out of sight).

Should I consider a mobo waterblock?
I Would if I had the funds but then again...it's not necessary. Full cover waterblocks or motherboards that come with their own blocks are done by ASRock(as you may know by now) as does EKWB and Asus.

The watercooling sticky in my sig space also holds a lot of useful information if you haven't' checked that out. Also, congrats on retaining that radiator, I wish I got one when they were cheap :p

Reactions: monttukani
Solution

monttukani

Honorable
Mar 18, 2018
Nice to know. Less things to worry about! :)
I'll see if I can get a full cover factory mobo. But if the prize is much higher, or need to order from abroad, I will not bother.
As I'm going for the most high-end here I'm a little sceptical about installing aftermarket GPU/mobo waterblocks myself.
I've done it in the past, but with this much money involved I'd rather not void the warranty by tinkering.

That watercooling sticky was nice, I did read it some days ago(y)

Maybe I'll do a build thread about the cooling box when I start working on it.