Cat 5e Cable uncommon problem - POE fine but signal lost after 20 m

Jul 14, 2018
Hi everyone,
I know there are a million different post on this topic out there and people usually have all kinds of different problems running ethernet cabling but I just ran into a (at least to me) very interesting problem which I can’t explain to myself and I couldn't find any reasonable explanation for so far. That’s why I thought I put this out there to the community and maybe somebody with more experience and brainpower than me can offer an explanation.
Recently I put up a camera network with 10 IP cameras and on 3 different buildings, using a Ubiquity PTMP setup and TP-Link POE Switches as well as good quality cable (Ubiquity shielded outdoor cable + Shielded connectors).
After some tweaking the system is running great and I have no dramas but one.
The one problem I am having is one camera about 40m away from one switch which I can’t connect to (not the longest cable I ran).
I tried various different things to get it to work:
- I made sure the cable is running under the roof avoiding any electrical installation.
- making sure Camera is getting Power -PoE is delivered all the way and the camera is booting and operational, according to the LEDs flashing (tested with a POE tester as well as a different camera,
same camera tested closer to the switch as well where its working fine).
- I even tried a different switch and rerouted a whole new cable to tick boxes.
- I redone all the connectors multiple times (making sure my technic is right) and tested the cable with a cable tester
- still no results.
That’s why I figured out the signal must be the problem and cut the cable in the middle and put a switch in to '''repeat'' the signal and it works?! -_-

Atm I just can’t explain myself why POE is delivered fine and just the signal seems to cut out along the way for some reason (on this short distance).
I really hope somebody can offer a solution because I really don’t want to set another power point and waste a switch for one cable.
Thanks very much
Phil

Jul 14, 2018

Only a cheap cable tester to look for breaks in the cable nothing fancy. By shielded connector I mean a shielded RJ45 equivalent to the ones Ubiquity sells with their cable.
Thx Phil

how much wire are you untwisting? 1Gbs can only be untwisted around 5mm on each side.

You don't want to ground the STP incorrectly. Use it like UTP. It's fairly complicated to do STP right and it's only needed in very long runs. If you have somehow managed to ground it to your electrical ground or grounded it on both sides it's going to cause interference. STP would have it's own grounding rod outside and you run the risk of ground loops with your other ground.