Cat 6 connections

Nov 5, 2018
Howdy folks,

I am attempting to install a security system in my wife's horse barn. It is 300 feet away.

Last year while doing a new irrigation project i ran high quality shielded and direct bury cat 6 cable out there.

All would have been fine and no cutting or patching needed had we not moved the new cable router to the far end of the house instead of the middle.

Long story short i had to cut about 10 feet off the barn end to get enough cable to make it to the living room router area.

This means i needed to put a plug on the barn end that i cut.

The piece that i cut needed a plug also to end up being a 10 foot extension with the factory plug and the new one. I bought a connector to make it all work.

I quickly went on line and found the first youtube video i could find. I wired the connectors up and crimped them.

They are cat 6 8 plug connectors.

It worked!! Cool.

Later i found intermittent problems. I did my local internet providers speed test and sometimes could download 49mb and upload 5ms. Sometimes the internet would fall off line.

I started to look into the problem. Immediately i assumed it was my connections. So i typed in youtube again and a different video came up. This guy had a photo of the wire diagram and i immediately noticed my wiring was different.

I wired the two new plugs in and now i have ZERO internet. I can't figure out what to do. It is wired correctly now and it does not work. Previously it was wired incorrectly and worked for the most part.

The plugs are both currently wired as such:

white/orange
orange
white/green
blue
white/blue
green
white/brown
brown

They were wired incorrectly but working. In this way:
white/orange
orange
white/blue
blue
white/green
green
white/brown
brown

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You either have T568B or T568A - it doesn't really matter, as long as both ends are terminated in the same way.

Your first list is T568B. Your second, I've never seen/heard of before.
18lqf3uc4wj6hgif.gif

Is it possible you did not have the latch face down? And what you actually have is the reverse?
br
w/br
gr
w/bl
bl
w/g
o
w/o
?

Regardless, at that kind of distance, I'm not sure how viable Cat6 is - you're right on the cusp.

Ralston18

Titan
In agreement with the preceding posts.

Some additional thoughts:

Interference may also be a problem if you have not properly grounded the shielding.

Your Cat6 cable should be solid copper wires vs copper clad aluminum or stranded copper.

Here is a link to Blackbox with more information and detail:

https://www.black-box.de/en-de/page/25233/Resources/Technical-Resources/Black-Box-Explains/Copper-Cable/solid-vs-stranded-patch-cable

And the RJ-45 plugs/connectors themselves must be correct. There are two types of RJ-45 plugs. You need connectors for solid wire and not stranded.

Nov 5, 2018
I ended up cutting off the mod plug that was part of my extension and making a new one with a different brand plug. Wa La! I now have internet in the barn.

Thanks everybody for the help. Very kind. I just found this site. Maybe i can help out somebody in the future with a different topic.