[SOLVED] cat5 cat 5e and cat6

Deepwaterlife48

Commendable
Nov 5, 2021
so the apartment i'm living in has cat5e ethernet cable in the walls.
theyve recently changed the internet provided from 100 down/ 20 up to supposedly 1000mb/1000mb, which seems odd considering theyve not replaced the cables in the walls.

the wall jack in my living room i imagine inside the wall would have a 5e connecting cable i assume.

off this wall jack i've had a splitter with 5 cat5 patch cables( which ive hauled from apartment to apartment over the last 15 years).
  1. i've swapped out 3 of the 2ft long cat5 cables for 3 cat6 cables 3ft long.
  2. on saturday i should have a 15 ft long cat6 cable to replace the old 14 ft long cat5 cable.
  3. on saturday i should have a 5ft long cat6 cable to replace the old 4ft cat5 cable.

im replacing all of my cat5 cables with cat6. my question is, considering the apartments cat5e isnt changing just my cat5 cables to cat6, will i see a marked improvement for streaming, gaming, computer work? as i understand the new cables will allow easier traffic and data flow, not to mention fresh cables should probably be more stable than 15 year old cat5 cables.

Cat5e is rated to 1gbit at 100 meters.

There is no such thing as easier traffic and data flow related to cables. The data actually moves through the cable at some fraction of light speed and there is no difference between any ethernet cables.

I would test with your current cables and see if it works. There is no reason to buy new cables it won't change anything....well maybe if one of them is damaged already.

Key here is did you buy fake cables. The older cables in some ways are better because copper metal was cheaper so they didn't try to cheat to keep the price down. If you purchased those flat cable I would return them. Valid cables must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size (22-24) no flat or thin cables.

Deepwaterlife48

Commendable
Nov 5, 2021
Cat5e is rated to 1gbit at 100 meters.

There is no such thing as easier traffic and data flow related to cables. The data actually moves through the cable at some fraction of light speed and there is no difference between any ethernet cables.

I would test with your current cables and see if it works. There is no reason to buy new cables it won't change anything....well maybe if one of them is damaged already.

Key here is did you buy fake cables. The older cables in some ways are better because copper metal was cheaper so they didn't try to cheat to keep the price down. If you purchased those flat cable I would return them. Valid cables must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size (22-24) no flat or thin cables.

i replaced all 5 cat5 cables with cat6 cables for about $20. a couple of the ends were starting to get flimsy, some i got a little longer length for more maneuverability.
got them all off amazon usa site.
15 ft. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BBL0ZFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
5ft. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BDB7JJE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3ft. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007O04AQE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

two brands were monoprice and cable matters.

i received the 5 pack of the 3ft cables today replacing my old 2ft cat5 ones. found out that i needed a little bit longer length for my tv connection hence the 5ft and my computer requires the 15 ft long one.

the apartment has 5e. MY patch cables were cat5. those were replaced/are going to be replaced. when my apartment is staying 5e but my patch cables are going from cat5 to cat6 will i see a difference?

Deepwaterlife48

Commendable
Nov 5, 2021
i tried to do as much research as i could on the types of cables. i had been carrying around old cables for nearly 2 decades. across gaming systems, lighting systems, security cameras etc. wanted to be smart.

Actually 2.5Gbe is becoming standard on higher end laptops and desktops, as well as higher end routers and modems. Cat5e can handle 100 meters of 2.5ge no problem. So there's no reason for the apartment complex to upgrade cables. If anything, they would need to upgrade their network switch to handle 2.5gbe speeds.