Question Cat5e cable tests shows all the wires are connected properly on both ends. Ethernet still not working

Oct 5, 2022
Stumped.. I converted the Cat5e cables from phone Rj11 to use for network with RJ45 connectors at both the wall outlets and the Temninal box. I have 2 rooms where it tests OK with a network cable tester (all 8 wires are wired correctly). but when I plug into Linksys hub or even direct from modem I do not get a signal the computer is connected. its not the computer, I used a different location to test computer with a long cable to Lan and it works fine.

The cheap cable testers most of us can afford basically just test can light a led with a battery. They do not actually test if you can pass data.

Real cable certification meters can detect if say the resistance is too high or if you have the pairs wired correctly.

When they test good the most common reason they don't work is you do not have the pairs correct. You need to follows the color pattern for 568a or 568b on both ends. If you were to randomly place wires into positions and they were the same on both ends a cheap tester would still tell you pin 1 goes to pin1 and pin 2 goes to pin 2 it does not know if you used a wire from 2 different pairs on those ports.

When you are running cables in the wall you are better off using keystone jacks. They are much easier to get correct and you can redo single wires.

kanewolf

Titan
Stumped.. I converted the Cat5e cables from phone Rj11 to use for network with RJ45 connectors at both the wall outlets and the Temninal box. I have 2 rooms where it tests OK with a network cable tester (all 8 wires are wired correctly). but when I plug into Linksys hub or even direct from modem I do not get a signal the computer is connected. its not the computer, I used a different location to test computer with a long cable to Lan and it works fine.
How are you testing these converted cables?
Can you post pictures of your work to imgur.com ?