Catalyst Control Center won't launch, what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eucharistadorer

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Hey guys, I just installed my new 4870 and downloaded CCC and the display driver and installed them. But when I try to run CCC to monitor temps and control fan speed, it won't launch. I get this error message:

CCC Command Line Interface has encountered a problem and needs to close.

As far as I can tell, I have .net framework 2.0. But does it have to running/activated or something? Is there a way I can check that, maybe in msconfig? I'm thinking that's the problem. But then again, when I go to install .net framework 3.5, I get an error message. And when I uninstall 2.0, I get an error message too. Both the installation and uninstallation stop working after those messages. This is getting really annoying, I seem to be getting error messages all over the place.

My system is in my sig.

If anyone knows, what could this be and how can I solve this? Thanks much

I dont know of a specific fix for this, all i can sugest is that you makesure you completly uninstall all defective drivers and reinstall from scratch. I use this catalyst uninstaller and delete all referance to ATI when i do it ( Not the drivers you are going to use obviously) http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=1447
Also here is a link to a list of drivers so you can use one you know worked before. http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeonxprevious-xp.html

Mactronix

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
I had this problem a while ago. Here's how to fix it.

1. Uninstall CCC and the ati drivers through windows.

2. Run "Driver Cleaner Pro" and clean with "ATI"

3. Run the Windows Install Cleanup utility and remove ccc and all ati drivers listed. It may give you an error message. Don't worry about it.

4. Reinstall the ATI drivers with ccc

Using the windows install cleanup utility is what finally fixed it when I had the problem. I think it's caused by a corrupted installation that doesn't get completely removed normally. You should restart after you clean with each program.

GL

Eucharistadorer

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
I tried the standalone packages.

I'm also using an OEM disc from my old Dell (Windows XP Home SP2), would that change anything as far as installing .net framework? Someone on another forum told me it might.

As I said that I think I have .net framework 2.0 installed, but have no idea whether it's running properly or not. And I keep getting a bunch of errors when trying to either uninstall it or install it.

I really need help fixing this CCC issue now, because according to GPU-Z, the 4870 is idling at 78, which I'm guessing isn't a good thing. Can anything other than CCC control the fan of the 4870?

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Control Panel>add and remove programs put a check mark in the box on the top that says "show updates". When all the programs and updates finish loading into the display scroll down. If you see Microsoft .net framework 2.0 listed then you have it. There should be several updates and service packs.
If you have any nvidia video card drivers installed remove them.

G

Did you figure this out. I have the same problem and it is pissing me off. Any advice would be great.

c_pastorius@yahoo.com

retiredat44

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
I go thorugh this every frakking time I update my drivers, and it happend again... there is no fix, I have done everything, short of nuking the computer and reformatting..
I unistalled ATI Cat 8.11 and installed Cat 9.5.

I run WinXP pro 32, Radeon 2900 Pro video card. I have Intel Duo2Core CPU.

I ran Windows Cleanup util and Driver Cleaner Pro. I followed ATI;'s instruntions... still CCC must close.. blah blah blah..

Frakkin bunch of BS..

Bernie_35

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Wel bru i was runig the same prob, it keeps on skrewing around, i tryed all the posable moves but still no luck.
ive got a 9200 radeon same as yours but when i am done with the installment, XP tells me that it is an 9250 card, so one night i got pised off with this *** and i removed the card and placed it nicely on my drive way and i ramed over and over it again, with a rim with no tyer. and then all my worrys disapeard.....

I got my self a new N vidia 9800GTX plus 512m card and it works like a bom.

My advice to you is fu<k that thing and get somthing worth you wile...

Bernie...

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
yes, we should all take advice from a bumbling idiot with a supreme lack of knowledge of the English language.

My advice is to delete bernie's account from THG to save us all from stupidity before it swallows us whole.

I second that motion. Can we gat it carried :lol:

Mactronix

chris-ch

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I had the exact same problem, Catalyst Control Center won't open.
Did the below steps and it works fine now.
1.I went to AMD website ... http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx
2.Downloaded and Saved to my desktop the “Full Catalyst Software Suite (Recommended)” for my PC and suitable for my Win 7 64-bit operating system (For now, it's ATI Catalyst version 10.2 ...about 71.3MB).
3. After saving the full Catalyst Suite to my desktop,
I next, Downloaded/Installed/Opened Ccleaner from ... http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/update?v=2.29.1111&l=1033 ... (for now, it's version 2.29)
4.Clicked Analyze.
5.Ran Cleaner to delete the analyzed files.
6.Rebooted PC.
7.Opened Ccleaner again after reboot.
8.Clicked Tools (left column).
9.Clicked (highlighted) "Catalyst Control Center" (available in my system) and clicked Run Uninstaller (right column).
10.When uninstall was completed, then next, I uninstalled "ATI Catalyst Install Manager".
11.(if "Catalyst Control Center" is not in Ccleaner, go directly to "ATI Catalyst Install Manager" and uninstall it using CCleaner as in #9 above).
12.NEXT, I opened (2-clicked) my downloaded “Full Catalyst Software Suite” that I downloaded to my desktop earlier.
13.UNINSTALLed everything by checking the “UNINSTALL” button ... DID NOT install yet ... there are still elements, like driver, not cleaned out yet by Ccleaner. Followed the steps of the Catalyst Suite and uninstalled everything, including the driver.
14. When done, rebooted PC.
15.Again, as in #12 above, I opened my downloaded “Full Catalyst Software Suite” that I downloaded to my desktop earlier.
16.This time, I INSTALLED the whole Suite by checking the INSTALL button ... installed everything.
18.Rebooted and my Catalyst Control Center worked great ... exactly as it should.

jandabeast

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Dude thanks for sharing this! it resolved my problem with this ATI catalyst.I've been dealing with this for almost 2 days now.Now i can continue playing games.Thanks again! :sol:

bohny_spad

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
chris-ch you're a star! your fix did the trick, quoted below.

jhale1079

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Great Walkthrough. Easiest way to get a full uninstall. So many people don't know that they should always completely uninstall old drivers and software before updating unless the the update specifically says that it is an upgrade install. If the driver/software package is a full install, make sure you are starting fresh. I have made this mistake long ago, back when vid cards were still ISA or old school pci; and even though there have been leaps and bounds in the industry, the same problems still tend to creep up. Those old drivers and software leave conflicts in the registry and startup making the new drivers and software to get tripped up.

ivanhoe

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

Worked great for me too. Thanks muchly. (although not sure the ccclean of the files was necessary for the fix, the full uninstall I suspect is the key step, but it is working)

Despite the full uninstall, it kept my profiles - bonus!

WeavelG

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010

i did all this and CCC still wont open and my games wont play
the only thing that changed is when i try to open CCC an error message pops up instead of nothing

G

Thanks!!!
I am one with the universe, and all is well.

G

I have the same problem, Catalyst Control Center Command Line Interface problem, did chris-ch's suggestion, and it still won't work. I have had this problem since January of 2009. My card is an ATI Radeon HD 4870X2. I have never had this much problems with one program in my life. I have Ccleaned the heck out of my computer, reinstall, uninstall, cleaned registries, checked .net frame work versions, none of it fixes this command line interface problem. This is so crap. I have had this problem since catalyst version 8. something, and now I have ver 10.6 and it is the same deal. I can't think of a cleaner install on this suite than what chris-ch suggested other than a whole new clean OS install.

Chythar

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
This is an old thread, but it's one of the top search results for "ccc won't run" so I wanted to post another possible solution here. My solution was to clear out the Windows GAC (Global Assembly Cache). In Windows 7, you can browse directly to "C:\Windows\assembly". Sort by "Public Key Token", then delete everything with the Token "90ba9c70f846762e" (ATI's key). You'll obviously need Administrator privileges. No reboot needed either. Reinstalled CCC and it ran perfectly!

The GAC lets you share DLL's that are the same version number. If it's in the GAC, any installer will NOT install a new DLL - it'll use the one in the GAC. If the GAC DLL is corrupted, you're majorly SOL.

When I reinstalled the CCC, it took longer to install then it had before. Presumably, this was due to the installer copying all the correct DLL's to my hard drive. And no ATI DLL's have made it back into my GAC.

To give credit to the original poster, here's the page I found this fix on:

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/mobil...blems-installing-catalyst-control-center.html

G

I know this constitutes Threadomancy, but I havent been able to run CCC for the better part of a year, and the solution of deleting the GAC that the last poster sugested for windows 7 worked for me, ON WINDOWS XP X64. Just so all the other XP X64 users (how ever few ;) ) know it works for us too

Status
Not open for further replies.