catastrophic system failure?

macz

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
So 48 hours ago i had a power surge that killed my video card and has left a burn mark on my motherboard as-well. I put an old video card in to test if other components were still working out come, they are working. Today 2GB RAM stopped working along with my OCZ 256 GB SSD that I've had for 6 months, failed to detect the SSD on post / in BIOS i tried different wires / power connector, tried the SSD inside a different pc does not work i'm going to RMA it over the next few days its still got a 5 year warranty.

My power supply is an Evo Labs 650W some cheap brand that i can't find any info about i did not install this some PC shop in a market did, this PSU still works but could this be the cause of all these problems i keep getting? my motherboard is an Asus p5q pro p45 deluxe socket 775, my cpu is an q9550 2.8 ghz. Obviously I'm not too bothered as this system has lasted me 8 years and i recently ordered a new system yesterday :) But just thought I'd share the problems i have had.

Also get this, my WD BLUE drive that I've had for 7 or 8 years still works and boots and did not die. But the SSD that is 6 months old is dead where is my luck?

Solution
That is exactly why everyone should have an $8 surge protector to save their extremely expensive investment. They won't take your RMA since the damage was by the fault of the user.

It's no surprise that your SSD failed and not your HDD. An HDD can suffer much more shock than an SSD can. This is due to an HDD being almost entirely a mechanical mechanism. Meaning it will suffer blows easier from physical mistreatment where as SSDs are more susceptible to shock and almost entirely insusceptible to physical mistreatment.

Not trying to be rude by any means, I just don't get why people don't use a surge protector. Someone will go and buy an $800 computer. Spend 1% of that to protect it from a surge. But no, that $60 extended BS warranty is...
That is exactly why everyone should have an $8 surge protector to save their extremely expensive investment. They won't take your RMA since the damage was by the fault of the user.

It's no surprise that your SSD failed and not your HDD. An HDD can suffer much more shock than an SSD can. This is due to an HDD being almost entirely a mechanical mechanism. Meaning it will suffer blows easier from physical mistreatment where as SSDs are more susceptible to shock and almost entirely insusceptible to physical mistreatment.

Not trying to be rude by any means, I just don't get why people don't use a surge protector. Someone will go and buy an $800 computer. Spend 1% of that to protect it from a surge. But no, that $60 extended BS warranty is really worth it.. :lol:

Solution

macz

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015

I have a surge protector it's a pretty good one Belkin 6 Outlet Surge Protection Extension Cable £30 give or take
my shit still kind of fried or malfunctioned due to some kind of shock tho entire house lights went on / off like flashed 20-50 times over an hour.

Wait so you had a surge protector and that still happened? I would be writing Belkin an email of gratitude explaining how their garbage product destroyed your computer. If you send you an email saying basically "we don't care", be sure to tell them that you will share your story with those who consider buying their products :)

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009
Adjacent (plug-in) protectors do not even claim to protect from destructive surges. Why would anyone recommend it? Because hearsay is automatically believed.

A destructive surge can be hundreds of thousands of joules. How many joules does that Belkin claim to absorb? Hundreds? A thousands? Meanwhile, the well proven 'whole house' solution does protect from destructive surges for about $1 per protected appliance. How many listened to advertising and hearsay rather than over 100 years of well proven science and experience?