Question Cause of huge FPS drops

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Question about my system so I'll here's my specs/issues

Motherboard - msi b550m pro-vdh wifi
Case - coolermaster master (box think is the mb311l) added an exhaust fan also.
Cpu - ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler
Gpu - Asus ko 3060ti 8gb oc (Lhr edition)
Crucial 500 gig m.2 Main drive
SanDisk - 1tb ssd file/game drive
Memory -
32 gigs trident neo 3200
Psu - seasonic focus 850 gold

I know Warzone is horribly optimized graphic wise but here recently I can get like 160 FPS and then after like 30 or 40 minutes of gameplay it jumps down to like 85 to 90 and all over the place, I am curious if my graphics card could be going bad or my CPU might be going to bad? Or could it be my network causing FPS drops ( someone in game said internet speed affects FPS , but I've never heard of that)

I've ran furMark for an hour at 1440p the video card stayed high in FPS It never got above 70° . I haven't ran my CPU benchmark because my CPU gets hot (close to 80° with a light game load) I have to use the power setting of high performance with the processor state to 98% on both minimum and maximum then the cpu never goes over 62.

I know it was advised to get a better cooler like the downdraft noctua for this cpu as it'll also cool my vrms but after I find out how much my upcoming medical procedure is going to cost if its not to bad I wanna upgrade to a 5900x w/570 motherboard and a lian li case with the noctua nh-d15 tower cooler so I don't want to go all out on this as I plan on upgrading if budget allows.

But here's one of my questions, someone mentioned my wraith cooler could have came loose which could be causing the CPU to overheat, I do not know how to check that so how do I check that? I looked at it with a flashlight and nothing looks loose.

Next how do I rule out my cpu/gpu going bad which is causing huge FPS drops even though nothing overheats/over volts as I monitor everything with hwmonitor and furmark runs fine with no issues but can't test my cpu as it'll overheat (unless I run it with the processor state as it's set right now 98%)

Everything's up to date, using newest Nvidia drivers as well

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Take a closer look at what the system may be doing using Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Use both tools but only one at a time.

Open the tool after booting up. Do nothing and just wait until nothing is changing.

Leave the observation window open but drag to one side or the other. Or a second monitor if available.

Do some light work, browse, etc. while continuing to watch.

Then game as usual but remember that you are troubleshooting . When fps drops there may be some corresponding change in system resources.

Determine what resource(s) change, to what extent (%), and what is using those resources.

You may need to make several attempts to get a sense of how it all works and what is happening.

Objective being to discover some event or change that precedes or corresponds with the fps drops.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Take a closer look at what the system may be doing using Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Open the tool after booting up. Do nothing and just wait until nothing is changing.

Leave the observation window open but drag to one side or the other. Or a second monitor if available.

Then game as usual but remember that you are troubleshooting . When fps drops there may be some corresponding change in system resources.

Determine what resource(s) change, to what extent (%), and what is using those resources.

You may need to make several attempts to get a sense of how it all works and what is happening.

Objective being to discover some event or change that precedes or corresponds with the fps drops.
At idle I have 0% gpu,, 1% cpu
I honestly don't browse the web I only really play games these days, I used to do design but my stroke affected my concentration but I'll browse that just for reference

I'll have to monitor while i game I do know my gpu goes to 98-100% cpu runs decent even though I have the processor state set to 98%., would I run resource monitor and just look at network/cpu/gpu/memory when it happens?

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021

I haven't noticed anything bizarre when it happens but I might not be looking for the right thing, I have task manager open on performance tab, what exactly am I looking for

Ralston18

Titan
What you are looking for is some resource being entirely consumed - regularly hitting or staying at some high %.

Look in the Process tab as well.

When you click any given column a small upward or downward pointing arrow will appear allowing you to sort the column in ascending or descending order.

Using descending order will present the high % "users" at the top of the list. The listed order can and will change. You will see the total % in the column header and individual %'s by name listed below.

You may discover that some other process running in the background regularly grabs system resources for its' own use.

And game play (Warzone) suffers.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
You said your CPU gets hot 80° during light gaming even with a power cap. Figure out why that is.

What cooler do you have? What case? How many fans? How are they oriented in the case.
No it Doesnt get hot with the power cap if I put everything back to 100% it does, I listed my case and cooler but here it is again, stock wraith cooler, stock fan config but added an exhaust in the rear so 2 front intakes one rear exhaust.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
What you are looking for is some resource being entirely consumed - regularly hitting or staying at some high %.

When you click any given column a small upward or downward pointing arrow will appear allowing you to sort the column in ascending or descending order.

Using descending order will present the high % "users" at the top of the list. The listed order can and will change. You will see the total % in the column header and individual %'s by name listed below.

You may discover that some other process running in the background regularly grabs system resources for its' own use.

I notice the FPS really drops and everything gets choppy/blurry if I slide cancel move quick, I've reset everything, cleared direct x shader cache, changed warzone adv_options setting, set up the recommended settings for warzone from the tech gurus for it like in game settings/Nvidia control, turned off game mode turned on game mode I have no idea what I'm looking for, my cpu goes to around 80%, gpu 98% memory 20% nothing is out of the ordinary to me as far as processes it's all in game

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021

Paid better attention and my cpu/gpu/memory actually stays lower than what I previous put, cpu 55-60%,memory 45% gpu 75-80%, no processes are suspicious

Get low FPS in furmark (46) over 220 on ultra in heavens benchmark

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What about the Network and Disk activity? Use the overview to watch all at the same time then take a closer look at the individual tabs.

Do you have any other tools or means to measure fps? Do those tools provide the same or similar fps measurements or results?

How much does game play actually degrade?

No suspicious processes is good. Think about the processes that are running - do they all need to be running? Do not start disabling anything unless you are very sure what it is, what it is doing, and why.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
What about the Network and Disk activity? Use the overview to watch all at the same time then take a closer look at the individual tabs.

Do you have any other tools or means to measure fps? Do those tools provide the same or similar fps measurements or results?

How much does game play actually degrade?

No suspicious processes is good. Think about the processes that are running - do they all need to be running? Do not start disabling anything unless you are very sure what it is, what it is doing, and why.
I get low fps on furmark (46) but I don't know if that's bad as furmark Is an ntense stress test, I get over 220 fps on heavens benchmark on ultra in 1440p settings, network usage in the game is high but I don't know what's to high?
Disk usage is 0%, on both drives

Ralston18

Titan
Yes: try the older driver. Determine if the older driver improves performance and/or changes the stress test results.

Question regarding your Seasonic focus 850 watt gold PSU: age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

History of heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Also regarding "network usage in the game is high but I don't know what's to high? " - what usage/how much usage is being reported?

Does the value change between system idling, light browsing, gaming?

Are you gaming via wired or wireless?

Do ensure that only one network adapter either wired or wireless is enabled. Not both at the same time.

Mar 17, 2022
Hi, I am the OP from that other thread that was mentioned. As I am still dealing with my issue and it hasn't really been resolved, I was talking on a streamers live chat and stuttering got brought up by other viewers as well. If rolling back to 511.79 doesn't help(didnt seem to make a significant difference for me) these viewers all said they were running on driver 472.12 still as they found that to be the best to make it less frequent. I have tested it and my results are not bad, not great. I found I could play rebirth and caldera longer without the stutters kicking in. But they do eventually start to kick in bout 1.5-2hrs into gameplay and i need to restart the game to reset that time limit. This is the best fix I have found so far.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Hi, I am the OP from that other thread that was mentioned. As I am still dealing with my issue and it hasn't really been resolved, I was talking on a streamers live chat and stuttering got brought up by other viewers as well. If rolling back to 511.79 doesn't help(didnt seem to make a significant difference for me) these viewers all said they were running on driver 472.12 still as they found that to be the best to make it less frequent. I have tested it and my results are not bad, not great. I found I could play rebirth and caldera longer without the stutters kicking in. But they do eventually start to kick in bout 1.5-2hrs into gameplay and i need to restart the game to reset that time limit. This is the best fix I have found so far.
I rolled back to driver 492 I think it is as that's what webzy said karneill recommended and it's still doing it to the point I have pretty much given up, I even reset windows thinking it was my pc, I tried to do the king kong event and couldn't hit a shot because I was glitching all over the screen, I'll try 472 ty

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Yes: try the older driver. Determine if the older driver improves performance and/or changes the stress test results.

Question regarding your Seasonic focus 850 watt gold PSU: age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

History of heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Also regarding "network usage in the game is high but I don't know what's to high? " - what usage/how much usage is being reported?

Does the value change between system idling, light browsing, gaming?

Are you gaming via wired or wireless?

Do ensure that only one network adapter either wired or wireless is enabled. Not both at the same time.
I will try an older driver would I need to do the DDU clean thing I don't know how to do that if so.

MY psu is bran new, I game alot not like 8 hours a day but a few hours a day

Networking I get 28 ms in game no Packet loss, monitoring it is hard as it's random and is in kbps, I'm wired not wireless

As far as the psu again this is not the model seasonic that was burning up videocards I inquired about it before I bought it.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Also look at mon itor settings like G-sync or Freesync, try with on or disabled.
Maybe even change cables to something that is better than the monitor came with.

May be worth a try.
I honestly just think it's warzone at this point I've tried changing settings in Nvidia control to g sync on,, fixed refresh, only one monitor on,monitor set to gsync on,, set everything to recommended settings everyone uses like high performance, low latency on, etc etc in control panel, game mode in windows on and off, graphic acceleration on and off, low latency in Gabe to enabled /enabled +boost I'm not cpu bound so enabled us the correct setting, my main monitor is an Asus tuf 144 hrtz vg27a, I bought new cables already and a new router which is an Asus ax3000, i get 490 mbps down 25up, nothing over heats but I would like to run a bit cooler (cpu rings at 60 gpu 68 but I'm likely going to be upgrading cpu/mobo so I'm Going to hold off on more fans right now and a cooler.

how do I rule out it being my pc I guess is where im at now. Apex runs fine no stuttering, god of war runs fine, elden ring rings fine most so other games run fine like what would I do testing wise to make sure I have everything running good they are supposed to.

I have read it could be my hdd, I have a m.2 that's not high on health it's 80% abd does her warm at 55 degrees but that's not the drive me games are on that's my Os drive my Game drive is a SanDisk ssd it has 200 gigs free

When I upgrade if funds allow ill be going to a Evo pro.

I've ran benchmarks like furmark, heavens benchmark, I've restore the pc I did keep my files though, yesterday I had a few games of warzone were fine but then poof went back to stuttering, my fps is never solid its always fluctuating, kerneill has alot of videos out but I don't over clock, I just don't get on the pc much anymore because I'm afraid it's my pc and not the fans so I don't rant to harm it, how do I tell.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
See you run an older bios, might be good to update to latest.

Turbo speeds are lower than base clock, might be fixed by the bios update, can also mean the cpu gets hot.
Okay I'll order a USB drive but again I'm petrified of messing things up

Update, I ordered 2 SanDisk 32 gn USB 2.0 flash drives, I couldn't find any smaller looked for 16 gb, I don't think size is the issue I do know they recommend 2.0 not 3.0 to flash a bios right or should I of get a smaller one?

Last edited:

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
See you run an older bios, might be good to update to latest.

Turbo speeds are lower than base clock, might be fixed by the bios update, can also mean the cpu gets hot.
I do have my cpu only running at 99% processor state as it does over heat if I run it at 100%, I was just always told never mess with bios unless I had huge problems. Would the cpu running at 99% Cause the benchmark to be off as you mentioned? and if so will I damage my pc if I update the bios? I just can't really afford a new motherboard and cpu right now if something goes wrong so I'm just weighing the pros and cons

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If you follow the steps right should there be no issues updating the bios.

What cooler on the cpu?

Those flashdrives are really big for just a bios update, use myself an old 2gb 2.0 drive just to say that is all you need.

The motherboard does have a bios update button on the back i/o so if somehow the way via the flashtool in the bios (recommended way) goes wrong can you always try that ti fix it.