Question Cause of huge FPS drops

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Question about my system so I'll here's my specs/issues

Motherboard - msi b550m pro-vdh wifi
Case - coolermaster master (box think is the mb311l) added an exhaust fan also.
Cpu - ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler
Gpu - Asus ko 3060ti 8gb oc (Lhr edition)
Crucial 500 gig m.2 Main drive
SanDisk - 1tb ssd file/game drive
Memory -
32 gigs trident neo 3200
Psu - seasonic focus 850 gold

I know Warzone is horribly optimized graphic wise but here recently I can get like 160 FPS and then after like 30 or 40 minutes of gameplay it jumps down to like 85 to 90 and all over the place, I am curious if my graphics card could be going bad or my CPU might be going to bad? Or could it be my network causing FPS drops ( someone in game said internet speed affects FPS , but I've never heard of that)

I've ran furMark for an hour at 1440p the video card stayed high in FPS It never got above 70° . I haven't ran my CPU benchmark because my CPU gets hot (close to 80° with a light game load) I have to use the power setting of high performance with the processor state to 98% on both minimum and maximum then the cpu never goes over 62.

I know it was advised to get a better cooler like the downdraft noctua for this cpu as it'll also cool my vrms but after I find out how much my upcoming medical procedure is going to cost if its not to bad I wanna upgrade to a 5900x w/570 motherboard and a lian li case with the noctua nh-d15 tower cooler so I don't want to go all out on this as I plan on upgrading if budget allows.

But here's one of my questions, someone mentioned my wraith cooler could have came loose which could be causing the CPU to overheat, I do not know how to check that so how do I check that? I looked at it with a flashlight and nothing looks loose.

Next how do I rule out my cpu/gpu going bad which is causing huge FPS drops even though nothing overheats/over volts as I monitor everything with hwmonitor and furmark runs fine with no issues but can't test my cpu as it'll overheat (unless I run it with the processor state as it's set right now 98%)

Everything's up to date, using newest Nvidia drivers as well

Last edited:

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
If you follow the steps right should there be no issues updating the bios.

What cooler on the cpu?

Those flashdrives are really big for just a bios update, use myself an old 2gb 2.0 drive just to say that is all you need.

The motherboard does have a bios update button on the back i/o so if somehow the way via the flashtool in the bios (recommended way) goes wrong can you always try that ti fix it.
Stock wraith cooler, I was going to order the down draft cooler by noctua so it also cools vrms, I know 32 gb are big I couldn't find small ones and I don't have any at my house my nephews stole them all lol

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021

What cooler on the cpu?

Those flashdrives are really big for just a bios update, use myself an old 2gb 2.0 drive just to say that is all you need.

The motherboard does have a bios update button on the back i/o so if somehow the way via the flashtool in the bios (recommended way) goes wrong can you always try that ti fix it.
Are you saying that I'll have complications cause of the flash drive size (32mb)? If so I'll try to find a smaller one.

I have the stock wraith cooler was, going to get the noctua downdraft but right now I don't have the money nor do I know how to do thermal pasting, I had a stroke and can't remember anything I used to know how to do, I mean I know how but now I'm extremely worried about everything so a simple thermal paste if I did it would takes me 2 days as I'd be cleaning it off and reapplying it thinking I had to much or to little lol.

I could take it in but my computer store won't just do something they'll make me leave it there for a few days, that would be fine but being disabled is hard for me to get out and go places

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021

What cooler on the cpu?

In that benchmark test why does it say my gpu is under performing as well when I update bios should I go to the very newest?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Are you saying that I'll have complications cause of the flash drive size (32mb)? If so I'll try to find a smaller one.

I have the stock wraith cooler was, going to get the noctua downdraft but right now I don't have the money nor do I know how to do thermal pasting, I had a stroke and can't remember anything I used to know how to do, I mean I know how but now I'm extremely worried about everything so a simple thermal paste if I did it would takes me 2 days as I'd be cleaning it off and reapplying it thinking I had to much or to little lol.

I could take it in but my computer store won't just do something they'll make me leave it there for a few days, that would be fine but being disabled is hard for me to get out and go places
Flash drive will be fine, was just me saying that a small one will work fine, but 32gb will do as well.

Enough vids about how to apply paste, just look some up. You can still put a pea size in the middle and let the cooler do it's work or a small cross pattern. Can also spread that much paste your self untill the heatspreader is covered, would myself stop about 1mm from the side since the cooler will still spread it more and make it a not too thick layer.

In that benchmark test why does it say my gpu is under performing as well when I update bios should I go to the very newest?
It isn't underperforming, is just measured up to other gpu's like yours which might very well be overclocked more, it says under "bench" ,

131% Outstanding

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Flash drive will be fine, was just me saying that a small one will work fine, but 32gb will do as well.

Enough vids about how to apply paste, just look some up. You can still put a pea size in the middle and let the cooler do it's work or a small cross pattern. Can also spread that much paste your self untill the heatspreader is covered, would myself stop about 1mm from the side since the cooler will still spread it more and make it a not too thick layer.

It isn't underperforming, is just measured up to other gpu's like yours which might very well be overclocked more, it says under "bench" ,
Okay I just got all these fan cables ordered to hook up to install adding 2 more intake on top , I'll do the fans and the bios update (knock on wood I don't mess up) well see how Temps are then we'll look into a cooler which will most likely be the noctua nh-c15s

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Haven't seen that in this thread if i'm not mistaken.
Not this one the very first thread I posted.

I got the bios updated just trying to get my memory back to 3200 its running at 2133 any other things I need to change back in here?

Also I don't know what's going on pc boots up but it's pretty slow, monitors look Like they are dull for a few seconds then fully come on.

I used the very newest bios from msi for my mobo which was
E7c95am. 2a0 date was 3/16/2022

I cannot upload pictures to imgur for some reason they just won't upload they just buffer and that's it I have pics of my bios screen and cpu-z I just can't get them to upload to share

CPU frequency in bios is 3.60
Ram is back to 3200 mhz
Wish I could upload images which would make this easier I just want to make sure everythings okay and that I did it right, at one point before I restored factory defaults the cpu was set at 4.20ghz which I have no idea why but I restored defaults in the bios and just re-enabled xmp to get memory at the correct speed 3200 and that put my cpu back to 3.6

Last edited:

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Haven't seen that in this thread if i'm not mistaken.

Ran 2 benchmarks one with processor state at 99% cpu stayed cool (62°) but the result still said underperforming with the base clock at 3.6ghz and turbo clock at 3.5ghz
99%

Changed processor state to 100% Temps went to 80 with userbenchmark but results changed to performing above and expectations with Base at 3.6ghz turbo at 4.05ghz

That's at 80° for a very short benchmark so I'm worried about leaving it at 100% still

100%

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Think you could use a better cooler for the cpu.
Le me get your opinion on this, I added 2 more case fans, (Intake) do u. Have 4 intake 1 exhaust (2 intakes front, 2 intakes top, exhaust rear, the other day I was cleaning the pc with my duster abd u decided to reset the gpu and stripped them out, I have found nuts which fixed the stripped out case issue, I know the case can be tapped and repaired but it's a micro ATX case I believe, it's a coolermaster master box that's 16" x 9" x16" I can't find the model for it, I think I'm going to go with the noctua u12 for the cpu cooler, with the case being cheaply made and small, should I just upgrade the case with a mid atx as my next motherboard is an atxx not micro ATX while I'm at it? If so the case has to be under 19" tall I've only found a couple, the phantex p400a is at 18.3" a couple fractal models, no lian li models, has to be an ATX case cause of the upgrades to come, I think the case has alot to do with the Temps as if the case doesn't have good airflow a cpu cooler can't do its job right?

Any recommendations in cases you'd recommend?

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Think you could use a better cooler for the cpu.
Had a fan issue as I hooked my top fans to pump header which I had to change to smart and PWM in bios, I didn't realize my front fans were 3 pin and they were set to PWM in bios not DC so they wouldn't adjust so now I'm really confused as I didn't realize it and set the smart fan curves to default which reset them all so I had to redo them, can you look at these and tell me if you'd change anything or if they look okay? I think they auto set to default but I want to make sure as I did change some around a bit like exhaust as I only have one fan abd by theory I want it to run a bit faster to expel the heat quicker as I have 4 intakes, I did set fronts to run a bit harder as well

Fan curves

Update : I went back in and at all the fan curve from 0° - 55° to run at 35% ramps up to 75% at 65°, 100% at 70°

So all the fans run at 35% from 0°-55° and ramp up to 75% when cpu core gets to 65°. Fans always running at minimum 35% but better than a lot of fluctuations to my ears, I have hwmonitir running if it Dont stay around 35° at idle I'll up it to 40%

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Le me get your opinion on this, I added 2 more case fans, (Intake) do u. Have 4 intake 1 exhaust (2 intakes front, 2 intakes top, exhaust rear, the other day I was cleaning the pc with my duster abd u decided to reset the gpu and stripped them out, I have found nuts which fixed the stripped out case issue, I know the case can be tapped and repaired but it's a micro ATX case I believe, it's a coolermaster master box that's 16" x 9" x16" I can't find the model for it, I think I'm going to go with the noctua u12 for the cpu cooler, with the case being cheaply made and small, should I just upgrade the case with a mid atx as my next motherboard is an atxx not micro ATX while I'm at it? If so the case has to be under 19" tall I've only found a couple, the phantex p400a is at 18.3" a couple fractal models, no lian li models, has to be an ATX case cause of the upgrades to come, I think the case has alot to do with the Temps as if the case doesn't have good airflow a cpu cooler can't do its job right?

Any recommendations in cases you'd recommend?

Would use the top fans for exhaust.

For cases,
or
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bCYQzy/corsair-4000d-airflow-atx-mid-tower-case-cc-9011200-ww
or
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yM2WGX/nzxt-h510-flow-atx-mid-tower-case-ca-h52fb-01

Yes good airflow influences performance cpu cooler.

Update : I went back in and at all the fan curve from 0° - 55° to run at 35% ramps up to 75% at 65°, 100% at 70°

So all the fans run at 35% from 0°-55° and ramp up to 75% when cpu core gets to 65°. Fans always running at minimum 35% but better than a lot of fluctuations to my ears, I have hwmonitir running if it Dont stay around 35° at idle I'll up it to 40%
That sounds fine, fan curves are something you can keep tinkering with.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Would use the top fans for exhaust.

For cases,
or
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bCYQzy/corsair-4000d-airflow-atx-mid-tower-case-cc-9011200-ww
or
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yM2WGX/nzxt-h510-flow-atx-mid-tower-case-ca-h52fb-01

Yes good airflow influences performance cpu cooler.

That sounds fine, fan curves are something you can keep tinkering with.
Appreciate the case recommendations but unfortunately I'm not a corsair fan I had a case by them in the past and it was horrible, the p400a is competitive to the nzxt with better cable management and more way better flow that's why I asked about the p400a, the build quality isn't as good as the nzxt though, I just saw that the fractal meshify c is better than them both and is under 18.5" also its actually 17.5".

Here's the issue as I'm torn, I'm not a big aesthetic guy , I am however a performance guy I have literally tried every single thing I know to do or I have read to do and I still cannot get games to run properly, I have talked to people that don't have no issues and I talked to other people that do have the same issues, I have checked my thermals they're all good now, ( cpu 65, gpu 68-70, drives 40-50 system 55-58), I have checked my power those are good, (CPU 60w, psu 200-205w)I have checked my fps, frametime my frame low my frame average, checked my video settings I have reverted back to an older driver I have reverted back to a new driver, deleted drivers with ddu and reinstalled 472.12 I believe it was, I have reinstall Windows (kept files so not a full reinstall) I have went into to my BIOS and make sure everything was set correctly, I updated my BIOS like you recommended, checked my hard drives to make sure that they're working properly which they are, I have done everything possible that I can to find out what's wrong with this pc/game (WZ is affected with horrible sporadic fps drops, fis jumps all over, I can sustain 140-144 fps in apex that's capped (I can turn it off and run higher over 180 with small frametime spikes) , other games like elden ring, god of war and others run perfectly fine but those aren't online for the most part, I don't know what's going on with my computer or if it's justbthe games themselves so I'm in a dilemma, I'm contemplating upgrading my cpu/ mobo but I don't want to do that if it's not the computer that's causing the issue, I do want to upgrade but I want to wait till after my implants are done and by that time new chips will be out as well, but again I don't have a grand to spend on a cpu/ mobo, I have done speed tests on my network and haven't found any issues there, pings work my old router which did have packet losses but I bought a new router as my netgear was disconnecting which explains the packet losses so I bought an asus AX 3000 haven't had disconnects since but I can't rule my internet out unless internet doesn't Cause frametime spikes, I'll go from 160 fps to 90 to 139 to 150 to 120 to 105 all in 20 seconds but most the time I'll be at 145-150 but there's still a bunch of looks like motion blur, stuttering lag and fps being sporadic but that's when I'm moving, when I'm stationary with little movement fps is pretty stable with a few little drops like 5-10 , could just be the game but idk, also it happens more frequent after I've played for a while life the first 30-45 min I get higher frames and less lag, then it drops significantly and all goes down hill.

If you were in my shoes what would you do I'm lost and I have no idea where else to look. A ryzen 5 3600 with a 3060ti, 32 gigs 3600 Cas 16, b550 mobo shouldn't have any issues running warzone or some other 1080-1440 p games I wouldn't assume, so if you were me would you try to do a full reinstall of windows, drivers etc etc or would you just upgrade,, if the latter would you wait for the new cpus or would you just go with one that's already out and would you go amd or Intel? I don't really do anything but play games and draw in photoshop I do a bit of video editing here and there nothing major and not 4k, I can't really afford the higher end Intel cpus was looking at the 5900x combo with the 570 elite mobo but that's almost $700 and I needed to upgrade the case and cooler as well so together it'll be over a grand to do that, by that point I could of already built a whole new pc and had money left over for my fish tank upgrade lol, mental note never buy another pre-built unless it's from a very reputable company.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
About the internet , talk to your ISP, see if they can check things are okay. Do a speedtest once in a while. Reset the modem, make sure if you did any changes to settings in it to do them again, or just try as is first. Maybe it needs a firmware update as well, can check for that too.

For more performance would i not take a whole new paltform, would just upgrade the cpu to one of the new 5000 series. Best case for gaming the 5800X3D, still very good 8 core the 5700X, or for a 6 core the 5600. Can compare prices with the previous already out cpu of the 5000 series and even check for good used options.

Weird one is that you seem to get more troubles as time goes on in game, does the ram go full? Maybe a memory leak somewhere ....

About a true new windows install, might be good, can only leave that choice up to you.

Can do a log, maybe we can see if that shows something that is out of the ordinary,

How to make a log,

download hwinfo64,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run",
at the bottom of the window click "logging start",
choose a name and place for the log like "hwinfolog" at the "desktop",
this log can be viewed/opened with either excel from Microsoft or libre office calc.
you can upload it onto a site which facilitates this like SaberCatHost this one i like since not so much (or any) spam comes with it and does not require a log in to get the info.
Just make one until this happens like you described.

Don't think i asked before. Is a bit too elaborate these days for my liking. He imo added way too many voltages. Can, in the settings, make changes to what is logged, uncheck certain items, but do it as you want and "Libre office Calc" is free so you could look as well for yourself.

Did you look at vids like this one?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8ZUqT6Tfiw

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
About the internet , talk to your ISP, see if they can check things are okay. Do a speedtest once in a while. Reset the modem, make sure if you did any changes to settings in it to do them again, or just try as is first. Maybe it needs a firmware update as well, can check for that too.

For more performance would i not take a whole new paltform, would just upgrade the cpu to one of the new 5000 series. Best case for gaming the 5800X3D, still very good 8 core the 5700X, or for a 6 core the 5600. Can compare prices with the previous already out cpu of the 5000 series and even check for good used options.

Weird one is that you seem to get more troubles as time goes on in game, does the ram go full? Maybe a memory leak somewhere ....

About a true new windows install, might be good, can only leave that choice up to you.

Can do a log, maybe we can see if that shows something that is out of the ordinary,

How to make a log,

you can upload it onto a site which facilitates this like SaberCatHost this one i like since not so much (or any) spam comes with it and does not require a log in to get the info.

Don't think i asked before. Is a bit too elaborate these days for my liking. He imo added way too many voltages. Can, in the settings, make changes to what is logged, uncheck certain items, but do it as you want and "Libre office Calc" is free so you could look as well for yourself.

I've talked to my isp they have said they see no issues with the modem, the modem auto updates firmware so I can't do it myself. haven't had them come out but I do speed tests and have not saw anything odd in always in range of my speeds 450-480 mbps down and 20-25 up.

I use Riva tuner to look at Temps, Watts, fps, frametimes etc etc, nothing is overheating, CPU Temps are 50°-60° at 60% gpu does get to 70°, system gets to about 55°-60°, Watts are good cpu is at 50-60w gpu 180w-190w.

All other games run good if I showed you the frametime line in say apex it's straight as an arrow no blips anywhere, in warzone they are all over the place, I did take some screenshot from afterburner statistics showing frametime compared to gpu:cpu to make sure I wasn't bottlenecke or losing voltages or overheating and that all looks good.

With the cpu upgrade I would like to do motherboard /case as well so I can make this motherboard and cpu into a secondary pc I have a 1660 that was in this pc even I bought it so I can make 2 computers just by upgrading the motherboard cpu case and psu in this one.

I did see the 5800x3d is really good and is a viable candidate for my upgrade, what mobo would you recommend? I would like one with good vrm counts and cooling, cooler will be a noctua n14.

When it comes to reinstalling windows I have made so many changes to this pc as fast as turning things on turning things off, messing with Nvidia control panel (even though that's easily reverted) updated the bios, there's was a program that kept trying to overclock things that I deleted but can't delete the registry keys for some reason, I don't have a windows download but I know I can do it through windows like I did before, I just keeps all my files the last time I did it, if I do it that way is that a fresh install or so I need to install it off a flash drive?

Last edited:

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021

How to make a log,

I have several of those logs you mentioned but no idea how to read them, I've read that warzone has huge memory leaks, I did notice that after about an hour or 2 of playing my memory usage is 22gb-25 gb out of 32gb shouldn't be over 12-15, I went into the adv-options in the game folder and set the memory usage that's pre set to 0.9 changed it to 0.7 and put it on read only it seems to have helped a bit but it's a bandaid as it just takes a bit longer for it to climb.

I can't do anything today as far as troubleshooting as I have vertigo on memorial day lol yikes but I'll upload those logs tomorrow If I'm better.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I see the 5800x3D and it's power, but for gaming might the Intel 12700F be a better choice money wise. Two builds with similar motherboards at a reasonable price tag,

Intel,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor ($312.96 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660 AORUS Master DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
Total: $502.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-01 06:15 EDT-0400

AMD,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($727.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $877.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-01 06:16 EDT-0400

A comparison with one of the best gpu's out there,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m68LVcQQLlg

yes the 5800x3D is the better but also costs alot more, just giving some options.

I do realize the vid is with the 12700K, but the 12700f will do the same max turbo if cooled well, it just cannot be overclocked then again the 5800x3D also cannot be overclocked.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
I see the 5800x3D and it's power, but for gaming might the Intel 12700F be a better choice money wise. Two builds with similar motherboards at a reasonable price tag,

Intel,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor ($312.96 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660 AORUS Master DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
Total: $502.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-01 06:15 EDT-0400

AMD,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($727.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $877.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-01 06:16 EDT-0400

A comparison with one of the best gpu's out there,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m68LVcQQLlg

yes the 5800x3D is the better but also costs alot more, just giving some options.

I do realize the vid is with the 12700K, but the 12700f will do the same max turbo if cooled well, it just cannot be overclocked then again the 5800x3D also cannot be overclocked.
Sorry for the late reply I've been sick, the 5800x3d is $449.00 now but I'm going to wait to upgrade until am5 socket and see those prices plus I'm still waiting to see how much my implants are going to cost me as if not alot that frees up more money, I am going to reinstall windows but don't have the disk, is doing a reset this pc without saving files the same thing?

Reactions: Vic 40