Question Causes of 100% disk usage? Leak in disk usage

Jul 20, 2019
For the last several months my computer will randomly jump from a normal amount of disk usage to 100%, massively slowing down what ever I happen to be doing. As far as I can tell there is no specofoc trigger for this. Sometimes I will be playing a graphically intensive game for several hours before suddenly it jumps to 100% usage, other times I will only have a single browser tab open. The length at whoch the leak continies also appears to be random, sometime for only 10 or so minites, other times for hours.

I would assume that if this was a hardware issue it would be a consistent problem rather than sporadic. I have followed almost every software solution that I have been able to find and none appear to work. What could be causing this?

my own task manager, although defaulted to sorting processes by CPU usage, can also be configured to sort by disk usage, and, just sitting here at idle, I see normally one or two .1 MB/sec tasks, typically 'System' and 'Chrome', and then a few other .1 MB/sec tasks per minute with assorted CLoud storage services....

I think I'd at least recommend checking CrystalDiskInfo for potential reallocated sectors, or any disk issues perhaps causing repeated read retries, etc...

Jul 20, 2019
To clarify there doesnt seems to be any program actually using up that much disk space when i look at task manager. And I have scanned for viruses, checked the disk health etc. Most of the other threads I have found online blame windows indexing feature as the most likely culprit but that doesnt seem to have much of an effect when I turn it off.

Jul 20, 2019
Take a screen shot of CrystalDiskInfo's SMART output of the drive and host it to a site such as ibb or imgur and link to it here.

Repeat the above but this time run Win10's Resource Monitor. We want to see the disk tab.

Thank you.
Crystal disk info says disk not found but windows disk manager shows it and says its healthy? (im not super knowledgeable about CIS). currently disk usage is normal but I will screenshot the win 10 resource monitor next time it starts acting up?