Caustic Promises 200x Boost in Raytracing by 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

horendus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
With any luck this will take the same path as Physx...and be bought out by a graphics card maker, to have the API be implemented into graphic cards.

or even better, have parts of the e card integrated into a GPU

G

Watch this space, ray tracing is on its way, this may not be the definitive product, but its a starting point and one which is very welcomed.

As all our components get faster we step closer to the power unleashed by ray tracing and the level of detail and realism it can provide in many applications from image manipulation to movie production and gaming especially :)

G

Watch this space, ray tracing is on its way, this may not be the definitive product, but its a starting point and one which is very welcomed.

As all our components get faster we step closer to the power unleashed by ray tracing and the level of detail and realism it can provide in many applications from image manipulation to movie production and gaming especially :)

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
"Apple Engineers"

Would you buy a Dell-design GPU? Or a Microsoft-developed CPU?
As far as computer hardware is concerned Apple engineering seems like kind of a joke. All that Apple does for computers is make an OS to load into existing equipment made by hardware companies (Intel, nVidia, etc). Apple doesn't even manufacture the iPod, that's at least assembled by HP, and I wouldn't be surprized if they designed the hardware too, and Apple just made a pretty mobile OS to run the device.

srbruno

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Crack open any Apple case and have a look at apple's engineers. You think software guys came up with the macbook air? Apple designs everything they make, but yes you are sorta correct, they don't manufacture it.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]KyleSTL[/nom]"Apple Engineers"Would you buy a Dell-design GPU? Or a Microsoft-developed CPU?As far as computer hardware is concerned Apple engineering seems like kind of a joke. All that Apple does for computers is make an OS to load into existing equipment made by hardware companies (Intel, nVidia, etc). Apple doesn't even manufacture the iPod, that's at least assembled by HP, and I wouldn't be surprized if they designed the hardware too, and Apple just made a pretty mobile OS to run the device.[/citation]
You need to read a little more. Your entire post is a waste of time.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Help me guys, Ray-tracing is another form of processing graphics, but the quality is what, better then the conventional? but requires so much more processing power? Is there really a huge diff between the two? because the vids i've seen it just shows reflections which is already being done on the conventional.. i'm not sure what to see here

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Sacre,
ray tracing generates very realistic lighting. Rendering techniques such as global illumination, final gathering, sub surface scattering, caustics, all are products of ray tracing.

scarpa

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Sounds interesting, games haven't improved much in graphics since Mafia the game(2002), they're all just too flashy but nothing improved really, hope this raytracing technology will really improve game graphics.

Dmerc

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I remember reading about a ray tracing board years ago designed by a US univerisity. I think it was running at 90 MHZ. Wonder what happened to that?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I work with ray tracing quite a bit, doing it real time would be quite a feat, even though there was that Quake 4 demo with Ray Tracing.[citation][nom]curnel_d[/nom]You need to read a little more. Your entire post is a waste of time.[/citation]
I disagree.
Caustic Graphics, a small startup out of San Francisco, is promising exponentially faster raytracing as early as next year. Founded by a group of former Apple engineers

Dmerc

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
At what resolution would the Ray tracing be real time? What is a real time fps , 24, 30 60?
If 2 cards were placed in a pc would it be twice as fast?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Dmerc[/nom]At what resolution would the Ray tracing be real time? What is a real time fps , 24, 30 60?If 2 cards were placed in a pc would it be twice as fast?[/citation]
That's a silly question, it would all depend machine. Intel had a machine that was running Quake 4 using real time raytracing.

This is a good example of the effects of raytracing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKqZKXwop5E

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]Help me guys, Ray-tracing is another form of processing graphics, but the quality is what, better then the conventional? but requires so much more processing power? Is there really a huge diff between the two? because the vids i've seen it just shows reflections which is already being done on the conventional.. i'm not sure what to see here[/citation]

raytraced:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=121&t=654983

not raytraced:

http://www.wiinewsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/tomb-raider-anniversary-artwork.png

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I agree that raytracing is the future, but it's important to note that the above rendering is not real time. I'm sure we will see this adopted and slowly implemented but don't expect to see it in the PS4 or the Xbox 720 or the Nintendo Pii. Maybe in 2 generations.

I remember back in elementry school hearing about this....20 years ago and I was astounded that it wasn't a real picture. Sucks it's taken this long.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]I agree that raytracing is the future, but it's important to note that the above rendering is not real time. I'm sure we will see this adopted and slowly implemented but don't expect to see it in the PS4 or the Xbox 720 or the Nintendo Pii. Maybe in 2 generations.[/citation]

I'll bet money we'll see it next generation. The PS3 can already do real time ray tracing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLte5f34ya8&feature=related

This video is a bit of overkill, as the model is extremely high poly ("75x more complex then those used in today's games" according to the description) and they're 4x multi-sampling the image.

Intel already has a system that can do real time raytracing aswell:
http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-37925-113.html

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'm not saying it can't be done as they're demonstrating it is, but while the potential is there, the rt rendering is not visually impressive right now even if the technology is. I just think the adoption will be slow. First you need the hardware, and then the games to support it. It will come but I'm guessing integration will take longer than 2010.

Just being realistic.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]raytraced:http://forums.cgsociety.org/showth [...] 1&t=654983not raytraced:http://www.wiinewsdaily.com/wp-con [...] rtwork.png[/citation]

Wow! Check out the 2nd link that is amazing! Now I can't wait for real time Ray tracing to go mainstream.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]I just think the adoption will be slow. First you need the hardware, and then the games to support it. It will come but I'm guessing integration will take longer than 2010. Just being realistic.[/citation]
2010? Hardware?

The point is, this generation can do it, the next will do it better. Dedicated hardware isn't necessary so I don't understand why you brought that up, and I don't see the relevance of 2010 much either. Most experts agree that this console generation is going to last a bit longer than previously thought. I doubt the PS4 would come out 4 years after the release of the PS3.
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]realtime raytracing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLte5f34ya8[/citation]
Good job at posting a video I posted right above you.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
They just prove their technology, and allow intel, amd or nVidia to buy them out like happened with physX. Then we will have one add in card, video, or it will be included in chip for intel.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
What is this article about? A dedicated raytracing card.
Hardware. And of course the hope that nVidia and Ati integrate this into their card offerings.
2010 is Caustic's projection to increase speeds by 200x.

This is what I was talking about.

The point is it takes more power to get this done and for it to hit mainstream you really need to make a machine dedicated to the tech. And it it's taking a whole lotta power to make rt graphics that look as good as stuff we saw in games back in 2003.

Ultimately it's potential is superior. Yes I agree with you, but I don't think the next batch of games and consoles are going to use raytracing. Obviously you disagree and that's cool but from my experience with tech it's going to take time to hit mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS