CBHD is China's Own Blu-ray Disc

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
lol, this is actualy quite funny as China already produce copy blu-ray disks and movies. I bought 2 of the same movies, one an original blu-ray and another a Chinese copy that cost exactly 1/4 the price and the image quality was indistiguishable on my 52" Sony. The only difference between them is that the copy is black/dark grey in color compared to the blue of the orig.

Lol, i guess its the players' cost that the chinese are worried about...
(I used a PS3)

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Blu-Ray only won because of PS3 and marketing, which they lost a lot of money from.

Toshiba does not make a gaming system and Toshiba does not have a movie studio. Otherwise, video quality is the same, and HD-DVD's audio quality was superior. Not to mention that HD-DVD menus and web connectivity was much better too.

HD-DVD is also cheaper to implement. Blu-Ray is expensive because Sony refuses to lower prices and cut their loses. Can you blame smart people for hating on Sony?

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I'd rather have HD-DVD Come back since I already have the player... though I do like being able to find the HDDVD movies, new, online for dirt cheap. I found NEW, Planet Earth for 20 dollars on HD-DVD and guess what different compared to the blu-ray version (70-110 bucks)... NOTHING.

Get rid of optics and start moving everything over to memory... Pretty soon, with all these different formats, cosumers are going to stop buying all new technology and just resort to stealing everything.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
and for those of you that thought that Blu-Ray was the "superior" video format, you would be COMPLETELY wrong. HD-DVD and BD-DVD both use the EXACT SAME VIDEO CODEC (which is compressed and not raw). The reason that Blu-Ray got the win was because 1) the forums through its money around, with the false belief that everyone and their mother would buy one once the war was over. 2) BD-DVD has superior copy protection and 3)the distributors where promised larger profits from sales of BD-DVD since the cost of one disc (at that time) was $3.00 a disc instead of .$10 (hd-dvd) meaning that the BLU-RAY forum was under the impression that they could put a higher price tag on it and consumers would still thrive for it. WOW where they wrong... DVD sales picked up massively after Universal switched/was paid off to the Blu-ray. Blu-ray sales really haven't picked up anywhere close, even on their greatest selling movie (bat man), DVD sales where at least 4x's greater.

G

> and for those of you that thought that Blu-Ray was the "superior" video > format, you would be COMPLETELY wrong.

Yes, because it is not a video format. However, it is arguably a superior storage format. It has much more headroom than HD-DVD. Does it matter? Well, from a video buyer's perspective, not really. From a data user's perspective, though, it matters who wins the video war.

For the most part, I think movies would fit on HD-DVD. A format that would never have to span two discs is still preferable, though. Even if the codecs are equal, there isn't room on HD-DVD for uncompressed PCM in some cases. So the size actually affects the quality of the data that can be stored...even if theoretically they can both use identical codecs.

-Dan

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I am pretty sure that HDDVD and Blu-Ray BOTH had 1080p@24/30hz and 5.1+ sound, but of course the "superior, more advanced" version had to be the one that cost the most, namely Blu-ray. So, regardless of if the picture actually looked any different, you guys seem to prefer rewriting history with your "more is better even if it's just the price" bullcrap. Good luck with that.

v12v12

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
[citation][nom]The Schnoz[/nom]Where can I pick one of these up? And digital distribution is not the way to go right now. Don't get me wrong, one day it will be, possibly in the next five years, but now it's too soon to claim. After all, they don't even have digital distribution of cd quality music yet, yet alone 1080p video. I'm sorry, but AAC and MP3 still don't come close to CD quality and FLAC hasn't caught on.[/citation]

Lol still arguing that CD "quality" isn't matched or more relevantly, INDISTINGUISHABLE from high level VBR MP3. Dude can it, there's been tests with $600/ft high-end audio patch cable Vs some rigged up coat hangers, and the result? NONE of the idiotic, self-proclaimed "audiophiles" could distinguish between the 2. And I'm betting that YOU nor anyone else could make that distinction when conducted in a double-blind audio comparison.

Cut the hearsay BS and provide facts/links to backup that erroneous statement. People don't give a CRAP about "CD quality." Nor should they if they are content with what they like. You may be suckered into paying more or gobbling up HD space for (so-called) "superior" audio compression or lack thereof, but in reality that makes you a stupid shopper. No offense, but CD-Quality is a farce as you nor anyone else can really tell the difference. Like I said... prove me wrong? Oh wait, you can't b/c musical interpretation of "quality" largely varies from person to person. So what's "quality" for you, isn't necessarily similar for everyone else. Go sniff your own feces else where, as it's stinking up the room — regardless if you smell it or not.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Not impressed by Blu-Ray. I have both 1080p and 1080i/p flat panels and while Blu-Ray is sharper than 480p - it's simply not jaw dropping on either panels (Samsung and Sony). I remember when I went from a 6head HiFi JVC VCR (Orig. $1,100) to a fairly inexpensive Onkyo DVD player with progressive scan ($379) - I was babbling holy bleep! Major difference and cheaper too.

FYI - My Blu-Ray player is my PS3 which after playing maybe 20 blu-ray titles and about 30 hrs of video gaming, the blu-ray laser diode burned out.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Forgot to mention in previous post... from what I see, CBHD would be priced very similar to DVD's which would make CBHD a perfect medium for short-term file archival. 30GB is helpful to backup photos and videos compared to 4.7GB DVDs. I'm all for it based on storage alone - playing movies is just an extra bonus. Even better if 6-8 DVDs can be squeezed onto a single disc.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]v12v12[/nom]Lol still arguing that CD "quality" isn't matched or more relevantly, INDISTINGUISHABLE from high level VBR MP3. Dude can it, there's been tests with $600/ft high-end audio patch cable Vs some rigged up coat hangers, and the result? NONE of the idiotic, self-proclaimed "audiophiles" could distinguish between the 2. And I'm betting that YOU nor anyone else could make that distinction when conducted in a double-blind audio comparison.Cut the hearsay BS and provide facts/links to backup that erroneous statement. People don't give a CRAP about "CD quality." Nor should they if they are content with what they like. You may be suckered into paying more or gobbling up HD space for (so-called) "superior" audio compression or lack thereof, but in reality that makes you a stupid shopper. No offense, but CD-Quality is a farce as you nor anyone else can really tell the difference. Like I said... prove me wrong? Oh wait, you can't b/c musical interpretation of "quality" largely varies from person to person. So what's "quality" for you, isn't necessarily similar for everyone else. Go sniff your own feces else where, as it's stinking up the room — regardless if you smell it or not.[/citation]

Man you are so way off. Anger management. Actually you need to lay off and realize you are on a THG forum where all things are measured and quantified. MP3s are great and I enjoy being able to take a lot of music with me BUT when I want to sit back, relax in my fine leather chair, sip a $300 bottle of cognac, get the B&Ws fired up, and put in a classic Pink Floyd or Led Zepplin CD... maybe I'll put on a vinyl instead. Some people here enjoy the finer things in life.

G

Here are the CBD HD specs www.chinahda.org.cn/en/why-cbhd.html

CBD is an improvement over HD-DVD.

Item CBHD
Laser blue-violet laser
SL/DL capacity 15/30GB
Resolution (max.) 1920×1080 (1080P)
Modulation 4-6 modulation
Video compression AVS */H.264/VC-1/ MPEG-2
Audio compression AVS*/DRA*/ Dolby /DTS
Navigation CETC navi.
Content protection AACS, DKAA

Item BD
Laser blue-violet laser
SL/DL capacity 25/50GB
Resolution (max.) 1920×1080 (1080P)
Modulation BD modulation
Video compression H.264/VC-1/MPEG-2
Audio compression Dolby /DTS
Navigation BD navi.
Content protection AACS

G

Blu ray was superior to HD DVD is every way, except cost, and cost is not really an issue these days. Blu ray players can be had for $99, and movies for as low as $10, so the old stale argument "Blu ray is too expensive" is just that, old and stale.

The biggest problem with HD DVD was the lack of disc space. Transformers when it came out on HD DVD didn't have lossless audio because of disc space. Now the fanatics would say "The sound is good enough, you can't tell the difference", well I say if you're paying for the best why not get the best? A lot of HD DVD's had to skimp on quality because of disc space. Another problem with HD DVD was the disc coating, god forbid you get a finger print on an HD DVD disc, the disc won't play, this is not an issue for Blu ray discs. You can take steel wool to a Blu ray disc and the damn thing will still play.

HD DVD fanatics are going on and on about CBHD, like it's the second coming of Christ. CBHD is made by the Chinese, for the people of China. Toshiba announced that they are going to produce Blu ray players, so it's over, HD DVD is not making it's come back. What's sad about the fanatics is they'll try and import players and movies simply because they resent Blu ray, because Sony is the devil or something. Face facts, Blu ray was superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.