Question CCTV DVR Reports WD60PURZ as invalid disk.

john_india

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Hi, guys i just changed a wd 6 tb purple hdd from hikvison [16 channel] to hi-focus cctv Dvr [24 channel] which already has 1tb wd 10purz in it ,upon installing the 6tb and booting the dvr,it reported “invalid disk found do you wish to format it” and i formatted it,after checking the disk space i found it reports only 3.5Tb out of 5.5 tb and 935Gb of 978Gb[which is correct] and so i formatted again,it still shows only 3.5tb and every time i reboot the Dvr,it keeps saying invalid disk found and asks me to format it and shows me 0b free.am not sure if drive is malfunctioning or the dvr is not supporting a 6tb Size? what could be the problem guys ?the drive has warranty till 2021.can i connect it to my desktop and format it through any partitioning software like acronis and put it back in dvr, so it can recognise? am not looking for any backup data or anything just want to upgrade 24 channel dvr with at least 60 day playback,Thank you.

john_india

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
do u know model of that cctv recorder?
hi, sorry for delayed reply as this covid crap is causing all kinds of crysis here.the model of DVR is some chinese brand hi-focus HD2408C4V and i think the reason for invalid disk error is because of incompatibility,
the specs of dvr says that on 1 sata port maximum supported HDD size is 3TB may thats why its failing to utilize the whole drive.but that's my theory, and most importantly the p2p cloud on dvr stopped working, it was working few days ago but now the cloud seems to be dead, its www.qmeye.net. i cant remote view the cctvs anymore.am trying to contact the manufacturer for a possible firmware update in order to fix but, they wouldn't reply.