CD/DVD Drive Corruption???

WisdomB16

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
Hey Guys/Gals,

I now have an HP/COMPAQ 8200 Elite Small Form Factor PC (Purchased refurbished via ThinkGreenPC.com) and now I find I'm having the exact same problem with the new PC as with the old (now extinct Gaming Rig).

The problem involves the Drivers for the CD/DVD Multi Drive. Time and again it shows up as CD-Drive (D:) in Windows Explorer and "HP ATA Device (blah blah blah) in Device Manager. Manually uninstalling/reinstalling the driver does nothing as windows doesn't bother to search online for the correct drivers and installs windows default (One Driver works for everything) CDROM files.

I've tried deleting the Upper and Lower filters from the Registry (making certain it was done correctly) with no results.

I don't even know the brand of the drive installed. Contacting ThinkGreen results in a canned response (We just sell em, we can't fix em) and HP gives me legal doubletalk about needing a valid service agreement.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. (Please don't tell me to download tools to identify drivers. Did that already without success).

Solution

Cooper0408

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

It sounds to me like the drive is dying I would just avoid anymore conflict and get a new cheap drive online. If you get a new one and are still having issues it's something more than your disc drive.

Solution