CD Projekt Releases Hardware Requirements For The Witcher 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyend

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
lol how do those requirements make sense? You need an i5 2500k minimum or a way slower X4 945 minimum.. either will do but one is WAY slower than the other... huh?

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I hope you have a quad-core processor, otherwise you're below the minimum apparently. I don't believe their CPU requirements for a second, the consoles this run on have massively less CPU power than even what they're speccing as minimum here. I don't believe that they added enough extra game logic to require processors that are twice as powerful as the ones in the PS4 & Xbox One.

I predict that my Core i5-2500K with 16GB of RAM and 2x Radeon 280x will run this better than their "recommended" spec.

FunSurfer

Distinguished
I hope they optimized the game to use full VRAM for texture caching like in the earlier next-gen games, so we will not experience those annoying stuttering of FC4, where there is a 2.5GB VRAM cap @ 1080p.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Wow. An R9 290 recommended?! Is this thing being made exclusively for enthusiasts?

Guess us value-driven gamers will need to wait a year or two to play. Good thing I haven't finished the Witcher 2.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
:/ I understand that people are can be frugal, myself included, however I believe it's important to mention that I built a high-end gaming PC with $1,337 (including tax, I know, awesome coincidence, right?). It's still more then capable of crushing these recommended specs two years later. Just upgraded the graphics card, so I'm good for another couple years. The other was still extremely capable, but I wanted the extra push for 1440p.

It's better to buy a rig that will last for several years then it is to buy a rig a few hundred cheaper and replace it in half the time, or only be able to play all your games at reduced quality. Put the most money on the components that are difficult to upgrade later, like the MoBo and processor, and the least into the things that are easy to swap out.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I had a feeling the requirements for Witcher 3 were going to be pretty high, and that suspicion has been validated. Anyone who plays/played Witcher 2 should recall just how performance-crippling its Uber setting can be.

It's not my intention to plug a merchant, but GoG has a nice deal on this game for owners of the previous game(s) -- an additional $3 off The Witcher 3 if you own either The Witcher or The Witcher 2, and $6 off if you own both of the previous titles. CD Project Red partnered with GoG for this special, and it includes some exclusive bonus materials.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
lol how do those requirements make sense? You need an i5 2500k minimum or a way slower X4 945 minimum.. either will do but one is WAY slower than the other... huh?

I've been seeing this a lot, too, and don't understand it.

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I'd read the minimums as ACTUAL quad core at least. Wonder if core2quad would suffice.
Anyway, my Phenom II is a bit below minimums. Luckily my PS4 easily hit's the recommended specs for PS4 version so I'm good.

sicom

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Not the first game that has listed an i5 processor as the minimum, then lists a much slower AMD quad core right next to it.

Even in games well optimized for 4 cores, it's been shown i3 processors keep up with most AMD quad cores. i3's even show up as quad core as far the Windows operating system is concerned, so i3's should meet the game's minimums just fine. Right?

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
For a game that has no DRM (and downloaded manuals etc), I expected cheaper pricing not the same as everyone else that DRM's you to death. I thought they did that the first time (same price) just in case DRM FREE really would cost them money. They now know the most pirated version was the DRM one on steam (CDP said this themselves)...LOL. I would have thought this would be $40 this time to get more users to play their title.

I don't pay for anything over $40 these days (probably $30...LOL). With most games being under 15hrs play time, I usually wait for bargain bin for this type of AAA pricing. I guess I'll wait for enhanced edition (no doubt coming later) all patched up for far less cash ;) They would sell far more copies at $40 than $60 and far fewer would attempt to steal it surely. But at least it should be a decent game (if not overly consoled to death in some way).

dstarr3

Distinguished
40GB install size? I know that's probably due to uncompressed audio, and uncompressed audio saves on processing power, but... can we please go back to compressed audio anyway? Because I'd gladly lose 3-4fps if it means saving at least 20GB on my hard drive.

db188

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
after trying to play DA:I on my oc'd 2500K and getting a stuttering/freezing experience i'm inclined to believe that these multi platform games are being developed/optimized for consoles with their 8-core integrated processors. they seem less interested in optimizing multi gpu solutions. the paradigm used to be: get a mid range overclockable quad core coupled with as much graphics power as you can afford. i think we're seeing a shift to games requiring the multi-threading capabilities of 6 and 8 core procs, coupled with more/faster system ram than has previously been the case.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
can we please go back to compressed audio anyway? Because I'd gladly lose 3-4fps if it means saving at least 20GB on my hard drive.

Amen, brother. I don't think there's even a performance hit overall, since the dramatically larger files eat up more RAM and encourage more swapping / longer load times. If Skyrim released at 6GB, there's no reason that Titanfall needs to be 60.

I expected cheaper pricing
They had a $30ish preorder special for a while, I'm sure you won't have to wait too long or look to hard for discounts if you're willing to miss out on day one action.

chenw

Honorable

That special is also on Steam (anyone who has Witcher 1 or 2 gets 5% extra off, 10% for those who has both).

You can also get free copy of the game on GoG if you bought it on Steam, and avail of the exact same price offer on GoG as well.

Lastly, CDPR is the parent company behind GoG's owners.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Sorry chenw, but Steam does not have the same offer as GoG.

Steam only offers an additional 5% off for one of the previous games, not an additional 10% off if you own both. And you must own one of them on Steam.

Per Steam: "Pre-Purchase and save 10%. Save an additional 5% if you own The The Witcher: Enhanced Edition or The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition on Steam." In order to get the additional 5% discount on Steam, you have to own at least one of the previous games on Steam. If you purchased The Witcher and/or The Witcher 2 elsewhere, you can't get the extra discount through Steam. The best price you can get on Steam is $50.99.

Per GoG: Loyal fans get a better price for The Witcher3: Wild Hunt!
$50.99 (15% off) with The Witcher 1 or 2 on GOG.com
$47.99 (20% off) with The Witcher 1 and 2 on GOG.com

$47.99 is the best price from GoG.

Additionally, GoG allows you to use the CD-Key from any version (Steam, Origin, Amazon, Gamefly/Direct2Drive, GreenmanGaming, Gamersgate, brick-and-mortar store-bought, etc.) to redeem a back-up digital copy from GoG, thus owning the games on GoG and granting the additional 5% discount. You also get Neverwinter Nights, 4 exclusive bonus tracks, and unpublished artwork and wallpapers exclusive to GoG.

chenw

Honorable
I'll have to double check when I get home tonight, but I am almost positive that you get -20% on steam.... Almost...

And I realised that my previous post was very misleading lol. I did actually mean you can redeem copies of Witchers 1 & 2 if you have own them on Steam, and avail of the discount for Witcher 3 on GoG.

I did however remember that I was very torn between buying it on Steam or GoG, because Steam has automatic updating, GoG does not, I find it a little fussy to manually keep checking updates for games, I'd rather have Steam updating it automatically for me.

NWN 1 didn't entice me either, I already bought a copy on GoG a while ago and I have no one to gift the copy to.

For those asking about the requirements, remember CDPR isn't an AAA developer like EA / Activision that just release crappy console ports as "PC games". You can be certain that the PC version of Witcher 3 would of been developed and optimized for PC platforms along with the resources and data used by the game, the console version will be stripped / toned down. They are saying you need a true quad core and giving you specific speeds / models, this indicates they actually tested this a bit and those are what makes the game "playable". I highly doubt a SB/IB i3 is going to be able to do this, though the HW i3 might. The recommended settings enforce this as those processors are roughly equal in multi-thread performance, again they list specific speeds and models.

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to this but considering the reputation the CDPR has of not taking shortcuts and making quality products, I do believe we are seeing the start of true 64-bit gaming which is going to revolutionize how we do things. Previously a 32-bit Windows NT application could only have 2GB of virtual address space, 3GB using some fancy tricks that present other issues. That is a total data cap for everything your doing at that time, which is why we had so many "Loading" screens in other games. Once we go to 100% native 64-bit applications, there is no practical limit on how much data they can have in memory so you can start seeing 4~6GB worth of game data being stored at once. It also means you can start using a lot more graphics data so memory requirements on dGPU's is going to go up.

Zaza101

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Having played Witcher 2 the quad core and gfx recommendations are not surprising at all.

The Witcher 2 imo is still really good looking even compared to today's standards!

I personally cant wait to play this.

Status
Not open for further replies.