celeron vs core I3

grayilm245

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Hello. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series wth a Core I3. I just bought this laptop a few months ago and for the price and my minimal needs it seemed perfect. That is until my 1TB HD failed. Dell replaced it with a refurbished HD but I decided to scrap that and I put in a 500GB Samsung SSD. Now this laptop is super fast and is more than I will ever need performance wish. My girlfriends laptop is on its way out so I was thinking about buying her the same laptop I have and installing a Samsung SSD. While looking at Dell's website they have two options. The laptop I have with the Core is $349 and they also have the same laptop with a Celeron for $249. She is like me and doesn't need to much performance, as she just uses it for simple basic activities. My question is, would there be noticeable performance difference between the Core and the Celeron once I install a samsung SSD? I will provide links to the laptops with specs of their processors. Thanks in advance for reading and providing advice.
http://deals.dell.com/productdetail/8lm
http://deals.dell.com/productdetail/8lo

grayilm245

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017

I imagine that will be what most people say. I personally have never used a Celeron, always pentiums and now the I3. Please keep in mind that this computer will not be used for running any high performance programs, mainly surfing internet but also some photo/video editing and storage and occasionally some Microsoft office use. I will probably put a 256 gig SSD in it, but I may out the Samsung EVO 500gig like I have in my laptop. Will the Celeron be noticeably inferior to the I3? If so, how noticable and in what ways? Slower, more likely to freeze? Money is tight right now and if the difference isn't too drastic then saving $100 would be nice, but I don't want to get the Celeron and regret it. Either way I go will be a tremendous improvement over her current laptop.

Celeron and i3 are close to the same CPU, both are the same die, i3 has hyperthreading and usually higher clockspeeds. I find modern Celerons to be plenty in something like a Chromebook, but a bit weak for Windows.

EDIT: Clicked on your link, and the Celeron "N" is to be avoided. The Celeron 3955U is based on "big" Skylake cores just like an i3, whereas the N3060 is based on "small" Atom cores, much like you'd find in a phone or tablet.

grayilm245

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Here are the specs on the two processors-

Intel® Celeron® Processor N3060 (2M Cache, up to 2.48 GHz)

Intel® Core™ i3-5005U Processor (3M Cache, 2.00 GHz)

I know nothing about processors, but based on the specs of those two processors, is the Core really that much more powerful? Will I notice a huge difference?

The i3 has nearly 2x the instructions per clock. It will make a significant difference in real-world usability.

In these benchmarks, only one of these machines has "atom" cores. Take a guess which one it is:

dolphin.png

tc71.png

apsb_s4.png

grayilm245

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Thanks to everyone who replied with advice. I will likely buy the Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series with the I3 core and replace the hard drive with a SSD. I am going to create a new thread about doing this and see what people's thoughts are on this setup vs other laptops with SSD's in my price range.

grayilm245

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
I was just looking at the system info on my laptop. My processor is a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5015U CPU @ 2.10ghz, 2100 Mhz, 2 core(s), 4 logical processor(s)

The processor in the Dell I'm thinking about buying my girlfriend is:
Intel® Core™ i3-5005U Processor (3M Cache, 2.00 GHz)

That is what they say on their website. Is my processor the same as the one they have listed? If not, can anyone explain how they are different?

100 MHz is the only difference. Won't be noticeable at all, not even really sure why they made both.

If you could find something like an i3-7100u (2 generations newer), it would be about 20% quicker, BUT I doubt you'll find something at or around that price. That's a good price for a decent laptop, and anything from Broadwell (5000 series) to Kaby Lake (7000 series) offers excellent battery life.

grayilm245

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Im leaning towards going with the Dell with the I3 and upgrading the HD to a Samsung EVO 250gb ssd. Total price will be around $443. But then I see these Asus with the SSD already installed and and more ram and more powerful processor for about the same price. I'm not sure about the Asus brand or the brand of the processor included. What are everyones thoughts on which would be better...the dell with the i3 and upgraded samsung ssd or the Asus. Amazon link for the Asus is below. Longevity/reliability is a big thing to me.

http://a.co/dB5ZcBJ

Decent computers; their lower-priced ones feel a little cheap, but they're durable. That's not a bad deal for an included 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM.

The A10 is about on par with the Broadwell i3 (5005u) for performance, plus integrated graphics are stronger. Battery life won't be as long though.

grayilm245

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017

Well i was price shopping online and ended up finding this laptop on sale at Best Buy .http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i3-6gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/5709800.p?skuId=5709800 I went ahead and bought it. It has a faster processor than my current laptop-
My laptop: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5015U CPU @ 2.10ghz, 2100 Mhz, 2 core(s), 4 logical processor(s)
Girlfriends laptop I bought tonight: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100U CPU@2.40ghz, 2400Mhz, 2 core(s), 4 logical processor(s)

Interestingly my laptop seems so much faster, i'm assuming its because mine has a SSD. I ordered a SSD to install in hers so I'm sure it will make a huge difference. Overall I'm happy that I found this deal. The only thing i'm disappointed about is the new 5566 apparently isn't capable of connecting to the 5G band on my wifi. Why would they cheap out on this? Does anyone know how difficult it would be to upgrade the wireless adapter to make it capable of connecting to 5G?