Question Certain games crash internet... Router Problem?

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
I've only had the problem with two games - Rust, and CS:GO. Both include server lists that are able to refresh themselves and load hundreds of servers. When I go to refresh the server list, my internet cuts out, except discord will work fine. Google chrome wont load and other devices on wireless will stop loading their tasks/games/google. Also, little to no servers show up in the server list when I load it up. Rust will not let me connect to any servers at all but CS:GO will let me connect to servers fine, with good ping. This may be because CS:GO doesn't always crash the internet like Rust does.

I have summit broadband internet. I use their Arris CM820A modem. I was also supplied with a SmartRg SR400ac router, which initially did not have the problem until about 3 days ago. Since then, I have switched to a different router. This time, it is a TP-Link Ac1200 wireless router. This router also does not work and encounters the same exact issues. (I thought replacing the router would fix the problem)

Running an internet speed test I get proper speeds - ~15 ping and ~100 down ~20 up.

Most importantly, after trying to factory reset my router from Summit Broadband, it broke and thus I had the bright idea to connect the ethernet directly into my modem. This fixed my problem. Therefore, this has to be a router problem, right? I would think this, except my previous router was working fine for three days, and the many days before that when I had my old PC, and now both routers are not able to load the servers on Rust and CS:GO without crashing the internet.

If it helps, I never had this problem with my old computer, the computer I have just now built is the first time I am experiencing this. I have tried updating my ethernet drivers and used two different versions to no avail.
Motherboard is an MSI H270 Pro A
My best guess is I'm using two very bad routers and I am literally DDoSing my router whenever I go to load the server lists and therefore my internet is crashing. Not sure if true though

Lutfij

Titan
With your TP link router, make sure you're on the latest firmware update for the device. It might be the router and the lack of settings keyed in akin to your older(prior to the TP-Link device) router.

You should also list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
With your TP link router, make sure you're on the latest firmware update for the device. It might be the router and the lack of settings keyed in akin to your older(prior to the TP-Link device) router.

You should also list your specs like so:
CPU: i5 7400
Motherboard: MSI H270 Pro A
Ram: 16 GB DDR4
SSD/HDD: 110 gb ssd, 1 tb hdd
GPU: gtx 1660ti
PSU: CX750M
Chassis: NZXT H500
Router settings say:
My firmware version is 0.8.0 0.3 v005c.1 Build 160801 Rel.73434n
My hardware version is Archer C50 v2 00000000
I will try to download any updates that I find, but just to ask does this firmware version raise any red flags?
Edit: More easily view able specs
CPU: i5 7400
Motherboard: MSI H270 Pro A
Ram: 16 GB DDR4
SSD/HDD: 110 gb ssd, 1 tb hdd
GPU: gtx 1660ti
PSU: CX750M
Chassis: NZXT H500

Edit #2: I updated my firmware, it stayed the same so I assume I had the most recent update. Either way didn't work. CS:GO's server page simply being open crashed my internet for 3 minutes. nice

Last edited:

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
Are you using an alternative DNS like 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8?

I have a firewall that doesn't work well with large UDP transfers with 1.1.1.1. It eventually crashes it requiring a wait for auto-reboot.
Sorry I'm pretty novice when it comes to this - when I go to find my UDP in my router settings it doesnt show, I used netstat -a in the command prompt, it gave me multiple UDPs but none of them matched what you said. I can post the results of the test if that is needed. I disabled the windows firewall and the router's firewall but nothing helped. Sorry again I'm just trying to learn as I go

Sorry I'm pretty novice when it comes to this - when I go to find my UDP in my router settings it doesnt show, I used netstat -a in the command prompt, it gave me multiple UDPs but none of them matched what you said. I can post the results of the test if that is needed. I disabled the windows firewall and the router's firewall but nothing helped. Sorry again I'm just trying to learn as I go

You want to check your DNS settings.

Dns can be set on the device or the router. Its how domain names get translated into ip numbers.

Udp is just a way to package send and receive the data

Last edited:

Desswarrior

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
You want to check your DNS settings.

Dns can be set on the device or the router. Its how domain names get translated into ip numbers.

Udp is just a way to package send and receive the data
Wow ok sorry I read UDP for both for some reason... Dns is not 1.1.1.1, not sure if I can say mine but both primary and secondary are similar and they are not like what you said