Question Certain games don't detect my primary monitor in settings.

Minecarrot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2015
Hi all,
As stated in the title, certain games don't display my primary of two monitors as an option to select in settings whatsoever.

This does not occur in all games, I have yet to decipher if there is any reasoning behind which games it occurs in. (Eg. Valorant, Marauders, Hogwarts Legacy).

I run two monitors. One an older HP 2311 which uses HDMI, the other a new AOC 32G1WG4 which uses DP.

I have only found a few people with this issue online, and no answers to their questions.

My current fix is to use windowed mode and use WIN+SHIFT+ARROW to move the application across my monitors, however, this reduces performance and resolution.

I have looked into the windows display settings, all seems to be set up in order.

I have looked into the NVIDIA control panel settings, all seems to be set up in order.

Any answers, information, or troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware Specs:
Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Max
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070S VENTUS OC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB (2 x 16GB, 3200 MHz, DDR4)
PSU: Corsair RM750x

Monitor 1: AOC 32G1WG4 (DP)
Monitor 2: HP 2311 (HDMI)

Lutfij

Titan
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? Can you state what driver version you're on for your discrete GPU at this moment of time? Also, have you tried uninstalling all GPU drivers using DDU then manually reinstalling with the latest driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Minecarrot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2015
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. M.40, 06/11/2019

Graphics Driver: GeForce Game Ready Driver Version 528.49, 02/08/2023

I have not tried using DDU, I've done a uninstall reinstall via GeForce Experience, but I can give it a go with DDU.

Minecarrot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2015
According to this list;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-PRO-MAX/support
you seem to be on 7B79vM4, see if updating to the latest BIOS version also aids you if the driver reinstall stated above doesn't work. Although I'd try the BIOS update prior to the driver update path first.
Is there a way I can update my BIOS without using USB for a flash install?

I've had a look, some places say yes, some say no, I'm not sure.