[SOLVED] Certain HDMI cable to use for Monitors/TV's for PC?

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
I've heard some arguments over the years about HDMI cables. Fast, Gold tipped, high speed,etc. For a 1080p picture does it really matter (as a monitor or a TV)? Say if I buy a 5 dollar silver or gold plated regular HDMI cable will there be any difference then a 4K one on a 1080p display? To me this is just confusing and more so a marketing scheme. Tho Perhaps I am wrong?

Solution
It's possible certain high end cables could deliver bandwidth in excess of their official specified specs; I have a 30ft 1.4 cable that can drive 2.0 bandwidth just fine, for instance. But for a low resolution like 1080p, there really isn't any difference so long as the cable in question can deliver the necessary bandwidth.
Oct 9, 2021
I've heard some arguments over the years about HDMI cables. Fast, Gold tipped, high speed,etc. For a 1080p picture does it really matter (as a monitor or a TV)? Say if I buy a 5 dollar silver or gold plated regular HDMI cable will there be any difference then a 4K one on a 1080p display? To me this is just confusing and more so a marketing scheme. Tho Perhaps I am wrong?
I fell for the HDMI scheme myself a few years ago. There is very little to no difference at all what HDMI cable you buy, they are all the same, even a 5$ one compared to a 200$ one(Which i unforunately fell for, and am now stuck with). Only real difference in price you are paying for is aesthetic aspects of the cable.

Reactions: minnin90

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
Good grief! $200 is pricey but I see why you did, they market these things very oddly. I've been buying the Wal-Mart Onn brand ones and they are like 4-6 dollars depending on size, and seem very good if not the same as a Sony HDMI.

It's possible certain high end cables could deliver bandwidth in excess of their official specified specs; I have a 30ft 1.4 cable that can drive 2.0 bandwidth just fine, for instance. But for a low resolution like 1080p, there really isn't any difference so long as the cable in question can deliver the necessary bandwidth.

Solution