Certifications vs Degree vs Experience

HowieIsBoss

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Hi there,

Thanks for stopping by. I am currently 21 years old and am holding a Technician job giving me the experience I feel I need to get to the next IT position I would like. As of now, it has been a little over six months. I am currently studying for my A+ certificate and I believe I have decided I will no longer further my college education (I have probably about a years worth), as I feel it isn't needed. I wanted to reach out to the IT community and get some input from people who have been down my path, employers or other people currently facing this issue. Any input you give is greatly appreciated.

I've been doing this 25 years. This is what I can tell you:

If your college degree is in a technical field, finish it. A college degree is prized above a certification, and I've seen plenty of certifications that aren't worth what their paper is printed on. And thereby a lot of people with certifications who aren't hired.

A certification usually concentrates in one specific area. So that also narrows down your available job pool. A college degree however gives you a broad understanding of how and what for a large area.

Some people think that once you are in the door you can get experience and expand your skills to move onto new bigger and better things. I only conditionally agree with this. You have two options:

1. Once you are an IT position at a company, you are stuck in the same job. It's rare that you'll be taken out of that position at the same company unless you can prove your skills are more valuable somewhere else.

2. Get a new job someplace else. Again, experience is key here. But if you never managed to apply your certificate skills to the new position, it's less likely you'll be hired. It becomes a chicken and the egg problem.

Whichever route you take, I will give you one more piece of advice. When you go on an interview dress up. And when they ask you what you interest are outside of work, please include tinkering with computers (Setting up a home network topology on Active Directory, setting up an IIS / APACHE servers, setting up automated deployments/backups, NAS, NAS Hardware (NAS4Free) programming, setting up web pages, tinkering with raspberry Pi's etc...) Be prepared to show them your work. It shows that you actually are actively engaged in technology and not just looking for a paycheck.

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
Some companies will take you without a degree, some won't. Some will take you with certificates, some won't. Some will take you if you have certificates even if you don't have a degree. To be honest, without a completely ridiculous resume of experience, Certificates and Degrees are the best ways to ensure you get a job in the field. Degrees are probably more reliable than certificates. It depends on the company.

Business owners are not IT people, so the only experience they can genuinely rely on is by either having a totally redonk resume, or by having a bunch of papers that say you're experienced.

This isn't gospel, and there are some exceptions, but for most bigger companies, they won't look at you without some kind of certificates or degrees.

HowieIsBoss

Reputable
May 5, 2015

Thank you so much for your input. I am really planning on just getting certificates as my experience grows. I know every employer is different and go based on what you state on your resume. I'll finish my A+ and go from there. Thanks again!

ikaz

Distinguished
Hey if your 21 and only have one years worth then please complete it even if you only take one or two course and that one year goes to 2 or 3 years it will be worth it just to have it on your resume. I'm in the IT world and I pretty much went the cert route however this was 20 years ago before the IT bubble pop'ed. Though I wasn't affected I wish I would have took the time and gotten a full four year degree even if it wasn't in a related field. Even a degree in a non-related field can prove useful to make you stand out alot of management based IT job like to see College degree even if your skills put you ahead of every one else applying because the people who are doing the interviewing may not be IT trained. So they must just look at the Resume and how you communicate during the interview. Basically at the very least it gives you more employment options which is always good.

HowieIsBoss

Reputable
May 5, 2015

Thank you! I haven't been back due to financial reasons. I don't receive enough financial aid to attend. I will see what I can dig up!

HowieIsBoss

Reputable
May 5, 2015

Hahahahaa, I'll see what I can do "Mr. T." Thank you!

HowieIsBoss

Reputable
May 5, 2015

I'll see what I can find out with Financial Aid and go from there. Thank you!

ikaz

Distinguished
Yes even if you can't afford to go full on if you can take one or two classes per semester to finish up will go a long way. This should also delay when you have to start the repayment of your current loans as well since you will still be enrolled.

Finish the degree. Getting a college degree (in a STEM field, can't speak about liberal arts fields) is not just a certificate saying you've learned the material. It's a testament that you have the personality to take on a difficult long-term task which requires planning, study, work, commitment, and self-discipline, and complete it. In that respect, having the degree will not only open the door to obstinate employers who require a degree, it'll give you an edge if the other people being considered for a job don't have a degree.

HR likes certifications, but the people you're directly working with or for will be more interested in experience. Get the certifications if you can, but whether or not you know your stuff is what will determine how long you'll last on the job.

HowieIsBoss

Reputable
May 5, 2015

Thanks again!

HowieIsBoss

Reputable
May 5, 2015

Awesome. Appreciate your input!

HowieIsBoss

Reputable
May 5, 2015
So here is my next question. I am currently exploring some options for online learning and majority of the options I would consider are Associate's degree. Would an associate's degree be sufficient? Obviously, a bachelor's is better but I feel I'm young and can get the experience to get the missing couple of years.

Ralston18

Titan
I would be very leery of online classes.

Be very sure that the classes are actually offered by and supported by an accredited institution.

Too many "paper mills" out there that will hand you a degree in exchange for money or, worse yet, lots of indebtedness on your part.

And most of their "guarantees" evaporate in the light of the enrollment fine print....

In agreement with the preceding posts. However, I certainly encourage some additional classes if and whenever possible. Technical writing, speaking, math, and sciences classes. Even basic finance and business classes at some point.

At some point you will want to and need to move up in the management ranks.

Hands on whenever possible. Scrounge up old equipment and make it work. Go online and find tutorials, white papers, diagrams, etc..

Recommended reading:

https://www.amazon.com/Cybersecurity-Leadership-Powering-Modern-Organization/dp/1502312115

And keep your record clean. Employers want to hire people that they can trust and not be a hassle to managers and co-workers. Team players who can be counted on to step up when necessary. Honest and reliable. Remember you may need a security clearance some time in the future.

HowieIsBoss

Reputable
May 5, 2015

Thank you! I appreciate it. I will definitely look into that book