CES '09: 500MB/sec. USB Blows Our Mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
wow, 2010 should be a very nice year to upgrade... intel's 32nm, ssd's should be plentiful, ddr3 should lower to reasonable prices, usb 3.0, maybe oled monitors will be well into mass production... sounds like a good plan to me

G

Seems to me now would be the best time to position USB 3.0 as the new standard interconnect for everything. DisplayLink is already a USB technology, and USB is already the default connection for every external device imaginable, and some that aren't!

I 2-3 years, I envision tower computers with a scarcity of cabling. Hard drives will be gone; in their place will be multiple SSDs. All those SSDs will exist on their own USB3 channel, with power AND data handled over the single thin USB cable. Just 2 SSDs in a RAID 0, and the average user has access to 800 MB/sec of transfer to their 1 TB of storage. Power users with 4 SSDs in a RAID 0 will have 1.6 GB/sec of read and write to their 8 TB of storage capacity.

And because of the bandwidth available, internal and external cards will both sport the same connector. PCI will be a memory, and PCI Express will be for 3D cards only. Add-on sound cards, network cards, TV and convergence technologies, and everything else will also be USB-based.

In short, USB will take over the world, were it not for one salient fact: USB 3.0 is *still* a host-based technology, and as such will still require the CPU to do some of the processing work in moving the data.

Long live Firewire 3200!

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Big whoop. It still has to use the host CPU for low level protocol processing, which will cut the performance down significantly.

Firewire > USB

kschoche

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Zach -

Aside from adding a few zeros to your numbers that I disagree with, you're totally correct on the fact that the host-based-edness of the usb protocol is going to eat cpu cycles, ESPECIALLY at rates 800MB/s. In two to three years, IMO, you wont see any single or double disk system that can push 800MB/s, and even then, good luck having affordable controllers to manage that kind of bandwidth.

Who knows, its the future, surprise me world :D

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
zach,
nice prediction there.
indeed, ssd's can be used with the new usb 3.0 standard, no need for power cable.
the only problem there would be future scaling, by the time usb3.0 is popular, SSD drives will be much faster and cheaper, they can max usb throughput easily with a raid 0 config leaving no more bandwidth for other devices like multi megapixel webcams, digicams, and/or HD video cameras, printer, and scanners.
anyways, SATA will be there for ssd's future.

for now, USB is still the interface port for the masses.

Status
Not open for further replies.