CES '09: SanDisk's 40,000 RPM SSD--What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
SSD's are worthless New pieces of tech shit. Lets all hope there hype is worth the wait for the them to come into the mainstream market. JESUS!

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i agree with the author, its a marketing ploy for those who don't know too much of tech. good strategy i suppose, if it works, than they deserve the sale

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]What's wrong with read and write speed as a "benchmark"?[/citation]
because there are other factors, such as latency.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
yeah, i think they based that rpm speed based on the access time of the SSD but in terms of read and write performance, the marketing rpm should only be 10,000rpm, rpm speed of a velicoraptor.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Maybe paragraph 3 sentence 2 would read better if it was changed from, "Performance wise, both drives play in at 200 MB/sec. read and 140 MB/sec. write." to "As to high performance wise, both of these 'solid' drives are like buttering rye bread in a way as carefully measured at 200 MB/sec. reading and 140 MB/sec. writing respectively." It's more words!

[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i agree with the author, its a marketing ploy for those who don't know too much of tech. good strategy i suppose, if it works, than they deserve the sale[/citation]

It's just like those ads about Q6600 at 9.6 GHz. In real life 4 cores at 2.4 GHz are nowhere near a single core at 9.6 GHz (if such a thing could be done at all), but it looks very good in brochures.

dbarnets

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Hey guys, Don from SanDisk - appreciate the feedback - there is some background on this on our site link below. The reality is that Windows doesn't do very many sequential transactions, thus sequential R/W performance turns out to not be a great way to understand what an SSD will actually deliver in a system.

http://www.driveyourlaptop.com/Data/Uploads/vRPM%20White%20Note.pdf

Would welcome your inputs - the goal is to build a metric that is both simple and useful to users in deciding what SSD to buy.

[citation][nom]dbarnets[/nom]Hey guys, Don from SanDisk - appreciate the feedback - there is some background on this on our site link below. The reality is that Windows doesn't do very many sequential transactions, thus sequential R/W performance turns out to not be a great way to understand what an SSD will actually deliver in a system.http://www.driveyourlaptop.com/Dat [...] 20Note.pdfWould welcome your inputs - the goal is to build a metric that is both simple and useful to users in deciding what SSD to buy.[/citation]

Is this the first company to actually come to forums and speak to the public? Wow im impressed!

Your RPM ratings need to be universal (all companies) or some form of similar specs, its all chaos atm...

Status
Not open for further replies.