CES 2010, Day 3: Thermaltake, Gigabyte, MSI, And Shuttle

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Thermaltake has an Nvidia "FERMI" certified case... Hmm... I wonder if they know the actual size and more importantly SPECS of these gpu's. Seems like Nvidia is going all out on marketing Fermi and making up for their loss to ATi.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I guess when you make something as cool as the SpinQ, Xaser VI, xPressar, and Spedo you are going to have a following year of mundane offerings.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]That Nvidia case is sexy.BTW, all the Tom's rumor about hot Fermi. All it needs is an additional 92/120mm fan.[/citation]Yeah, and if the latest AMD cards needed an additional 92+ mm side mounted case fan to stay cool, I'm sure a ton of Nvidia fanboys would jump all over them. Anyway, all I can say is that the stock fans for the high end Fermi better not bring back memories of the 5800 Ultra Hoover Edition. :p

muncher

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
If cases are Fermi certified based on their cooling capacity, as suggested by the text, then heat must be an issue.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Should have been a ps3 and a pc the bluray drive and psn would have been a welcomed addition. But for the 360 most of its titles come out on pc anyways and the exclusives arent must haves for most of us. Plus imagine being able to harvest the power from the cell?

keefasuz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Chris, thanks for the Ed's note on the Gigabyte section re: P35 and P45 boards from this maker qualifying as perf. boards. I run a P35-DS3R and don't feel it to be awkward, clunky, or ho-hum. I did have a Gigabyte board for Socket 462 back in the day that was all of those things; but, their stuff lately has been pretty cool.

[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Interesting that Thermaltake is limiting Gold certified power supplies to 750 watts.[/citation]
I'd say this is a positive step toward being less wasteful. I hope it's good, and reasonably priced. I'd really like to see a 500W 80+ gold PSU; that's all that would be needed for a single HD5870; what can't that run well (not counting Crysis, even though it would)? Do your house lights really need to flicker just because you turned on your PC?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]Gigabyte And IBuyPower Previous Next 1:00 AM - 01/09/2010 by Loyd Case X
Send link to this page by email :Your email address *

Your name *

Recipient address *

Send * The email addresses collected via this form are not recorded on our servers and are only used for the sending request Email | Print | Comments (21) | Share

IBuyPower: Multi-Touch Gaming Laptops And An Unusual Gaming Rig

IBuyPower, familiar as a gaming PC system builder, is trying to branch out into more innovative territory. The Battalion Touch is the company’s new gaming laptop, and will ship with multi-touch screens. One model is available with Core 2 Duo CPUs and Mobility Radeon 4670 graphics, while the higher-end model supports Intel’s new Core i3/i5 mobile CPUs and Mobility Radeon 5650 GPUs. While Windows 7 has built-in multi-touch support, there are few, if any, games that work well with this capability. However, the first major game title optimized for multi-touch, the RTS Ruse, will offer a fully multi-touch-aware interface and will ship in 2010.

Zoom
IBuyPower was also showing a highly unusual system, though John Harrell, product engineer for iBuyPower, stressed that the system was a conceptual idea more than a product. Called the PC360, the system consists of a high-end Core i7 system plus an Xbox 360 built into an NZXT PanzerBox case.

Zoom
The PC360 is designed to easily switch between the console and the PC, with both able to run simultaneously. You can actually pop up a window with a console game active while the PC is running.

There are many unanswered questions, though. What will a system like this do to the the Xbox 360 warranty? Will iBuyPower pick up the cost of support if Microsoft considers the warranty void? What about heat or noise issues? Still, it’s an intriguing idea for gamers.

Also on display (although photos were unfortunately "discouraged") was a prototype gaming PC with an unusual chassis. Designed in partnership with Koolance, the system is specially optimized for liquid cooling with no concessions for air cooling. The prototype system was running dual graphics cards, and the only noise was a slight hum from the coolant pump. Six large, slow-spinning fans move air over the radiators. When coolant needs to be replaced, old coolant can be drained from the underside of the case, and the fill spout is in the top. Despite the custom design, iBuyPower hopes to keep the price for the lowest end version under $4,000, though pricing hasn’t been fleshed out yet.

Gigabyte: Riding High

There’s no question that Gigabyte has come a long way. The company's motherboard designs have, in the past, either been somewhat awkward and clunky or ho-hum. But with the advent of its newer X58 and P55 boards (Ed.: going back as far as its P35- and P45-based boards, in my experience)[/citation]
I don't know about really old gigabyte boards, but I would definetly not stop counting at the P35 - the 965P series boards are just as good really as the newer ones

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Nvidia is endorsing this case simply because they need to! Their Fermi cards are going to run so hot that it will REQUIRE the extra cooling, well, maybe not require, but damn near close...

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
That's a weird comment from Gigabyte about pushing DualBIOS to lower end boards. My budget Gigabyte AMD boards have DualBIOS. They're way under $150 -- half that IIRC. With these low(er) cost 1156 offerings (i3/15) the mobo manufacturers really need to align their Intel mobo prices more with their AMD mobo offerings, not 2x price. $10-20 more, like the CPUs but not 2x more.

Status
Not open for further replies.