CES 2013: Day 1 Highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I wonder if Turtle Beach was able to do something about the sound quality as well. I purchased a pair after reading rave reviews about the sound. Switching to the Turtle Beach headphones from my AKG is startling transition each and every time, since the Turtle Beach headphones sound so bad. If I listen to them for over an hour, I can begin to convince myself they sound better (until I listen to something else and am reminded again how bad they sound!).

The microphone on the Turtle Beach headphones is also below par, in my opinion.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

The issue is you're essentially comparing a Core i3 (Turtle Beach) to a Core i5 (AKG). Considering that AKG is seen as one of the few that can actually get within range of Sennheiser (Core i7?) when it comes to sound quality, that should tell you something.

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]Nintendo Maniac 64[/nom]The issue is you're essentially comparing a Core i3 (Turtle Beach) to a Core i5 (AKG). Considering that AKG is seen as one of the few that can actually get within range of Sennheiser (Core i7?) when it comes to sound quality, that should tell you something.[/citation]

I actually prefer AKG to Sennheiser, but that's beside the point.

I think a more accurate analogy would be describing AKG and Sennheiser as the i7-2600k and the i7-2700k, and the Turtle Beach sounds more like a Silverthorne Atom, made in 2008. My Turtle Beach headset is just dreadful...

Hazle

Distinguished
love what i'm seeing out of the Xi3, though i'm not handing out any cigars just yet. not at all impressive in hardware performance, but i'll admit it looks neat. and if valve is truly thinking of making a linux based console out of it, then i'm more in support for it. i'll probably won't buy it, but at least i won't have to dish out $90-100 for an OS the next time i do a complete overhaul of my pc if gaming with linux ever kicks off successfully.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Gabe Opens Up About Valve’s Own Biometric Steam Box
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/gabe-opens-up-about-valves-own-biometric-steam-box/

[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]where are the girls of ces-2013?[/citation]
No, please no. Google it if you want, but let's keep this a tech site that cares more about tech than boobs.

I'll treat Chris and team to virtual champagne if they avoid that "article" this year.

BoredErica

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Gabe Opens Up About Valve’s Own Biometric Steam Boxhttp://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20 [...] steam-box/No, please no. Google it if you want, but let's keep this a tech site that cares more about tech than boobs.I'll treat Chris and team to virtual champagne if they avoid that "article" this year.[/citation]
...But I am tempted to talk about how horrible the keynote speech was. :)

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
[citation][nom]LukeCWM[/nom]I wonder if Turtle Beach was able to do something about the sound quality as well. I purchased a pair after reading rave reviews about the sound. Switching to the Turtle Beach headphones from my AKG is startling transition each and every time, since the Turtle Beach headphones sound so bad. If I listen to them for over an hour, I can begin to convince myself they sound better (until I listen to something else and am reminded again how bad they sound!).The microphone on the Turtle Beach headphones is also below par, in my opinion.[/citation]

so your AKG cost how much and the Turtle Beach?

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Gabe Opens Up About Valve’s Own Biometric Steam Boxhttp://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20 [...] steam-box/No, please no. Google it if you want, but let's keep this a tech site that cares more about tech than boobs.I'll treat Chris and team to virtual champagne if they avoid that "article" this year.[/citation]
don't give us that rubbish, don't you see how Toms potrays every stupid holiday shopping season with half naked women holding crappy tech. complain to the authors of this site!!

Status
Not open for further replies.