CES 2013: Nvidia CES Press Conference, Live

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]I don't believe any of the BS marketing crap they say, I'll wait for benchmarks and real world tests, won't be fooled again like I was with Tegra3.And notice for the browser comparison they used Chrome on the Nexus 10 and the stock jelly bean browser for Tegra4. Well played, Nvidia. Google's dogshit slow chrome browser for Android is quite a marketing strategy indeed.[/citation]
You know you can download Firefox or any other browser for Android right?

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Madjimms[/nom]You know you can download Firefox or any other browser for Android right?[/citation]
Did you understand what I typed?
FFS, read it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIL-RjLUMw
You know nvidia could've downloaded the same browser on both N10 and T4 right?
But instead they used Chrome(which is shit slow) on the N10, and the fast stock jelly bean browser on the T4 device. Different browsers = unfair comparison.
Simply marketing bollocks, yet look at the jackasses clapping at the result.

Daedalus12

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
I've got to say, I wouldn't have thought project shield would be the big announcement. While it would be nice to play PC quality games on the go, for some reason I just don't see this thing selling. If there are any lag issues at all, it won't happen for sure.

EzioAs

Distinguished

I agree. However, there are too many people who are just too lazy to set graphics settings manually. Then they came to forums and said their cards can't play the newer games anymore and they need to buy a high end card even though they never bother to play with the settings a little bit :pfff: .

I kinda understand if it's kids or people who are fairly new to pc gaming, but for the rest and especially those who spend hundreds or thousands on their own custom gaming PC, nuh uh :non: . The settings are there to accommodate different sets of hardware so that you'll be able to get playable framerates. Learn to use it people!

[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]You certainly don't have to Working with the site's technology as best as possible.[/citation]
For all of the cosmettic changes the site has gone though over the years, they have never managed to get a good system in place for pictures, or for live events. The live event thing I think we can all understand as it is not exactly easy to do, but the picture thing is just ridiculous.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
im very intrested in the last bit of the presentation.

see i have a pc in my bedroom, and i have a 52 inch lcd in the living room.

will i be able to stream content to the controller, have it than stream to the tv, and will that introduce an un manageable amount of lag or perhaps even pixelization that would suck for this kind of streaming.

also, are they apposed to allowing 2 usb ports for a keyboard and mouse?

im liking what i am seeing from this at the very least. if its under 250$ i would definitely consider it.

here's hoping they get custom android like kindle fire does, and sell the system at cost and get money through apps

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I'm starting to believe the end of the Desktop PC is near. I wonder which will adopt Ultra HD first, the PC or the mobile phone. Games are bound to one day be in Ultra HD. Give it 3 years for games. Until then, there won't be a point. Ultra HD Monitors/TVs won't be affordable until then.[/citation]
ok, tell me the pc that doesnt have at least dual gpu sli that can handle 3,840 × 2,160
look, right now for even 2560x1600 you need at least 2 gpus, with current gen hardware.
but at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 you only need 1 mid range to max a game almost, and 1 high end to max almost every game at around 45fps.

cellphones may get higher resolutions, but are the games and crap really running at those resolutions, and are they even close to what a mid range pc can put out?

look, right now for even 2560x1600 you need at least 2 gpus, with current gen hardware. ook, right now for even 2560x1600 you need at least 2 gpus, with current gen hardware.
but at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 you only need 1 mid range to max a game almost, and 1 high end to max almost every game at around 45fps. ut at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 you only need 1 mid range to max a game almost, and 1 high end to max almost every game at around 45fps.

cellphones may get higher resolutions, but are the games and crap really running at those resolutions, and are they even close to what a mid range pc can put out?ellphones may get higher resolutions, but are the games and crap really running at those resolutions, and are they even close to what a mid range pc can put out?

[citation][nom]bobsmithsmith1[/nom]Gaming in early 1990's: "high-end PC" + 17" screen (CRT);Gaming in mid 1990's: "high-end PC" + 19" screen (CRT);Gaming in late 1990's: "high-end PC" + 21" screen (LCD);Gaming in early 2000's: high-end PC + 22" screen (LCD);Gaming in mid 2000's: high-end PC + 24" screen (LED);Gaming in late 2000's: high-end PC + 27" screen (LED);Expected gaming experience on 2013: high-end PC + 42" OLED LCD screen (or multi-monitor)Real-life Gaming in 2013: horrible joystick + 5" LCD screen?Definitely something went wrong.Never believed in NVidia. Never will.[/citation]

i use a controller for many games, most of them are platformers or racing as i don't want to buy a wheel, but controller none the less. you really dont see what they are trying to do if you are boiling it down to just that...

also, the pc future is headmount display from what we have seen over the last year or so and how many people are jumping to it, sony, valve, id with id being the first to offer a head mount.

as far as i can see, head mount will be the end all till true holo deck stuff comes around.

[citation][nom]pchisholm[/nom]So Nvidia are expecting me to buy their device after I've already forked out for a high-end gaming rig so I can play a game on a 5" screen .... give me a second to check my calendar .... have I been stuck in a time-warp and it's April 1st already?What they are doing is cool and it's definately exploiting some serious technological performance advances, but the suggested application is, frankly, ridiculous assuming the required network bandwidth is even available to the masses. You get the feeling that Nvidia just felt obliged to announce something aside from some new silicon, which they're almost obliged to do anyway (since they have share holders) but this is just crazy. Sometimes it's better to say nothing and let people think you're an idiot than to say something and remove all doubt.[/citation]

they made a hand held system, with rudimentary functionality to be a bridge from the pc to a tv, possibly even having the pc on the go. sure, i may not play a fps on it like that, but i would play a 3rd person shooter, i would play a racing game, and i would play a platformer.

oh wait, the logic you used, OH NO THEY BRANCHED OUT, THEY ARE KILLING THE PC.

seriously, i have read enough of that that its just annoying at this point.

[citation][nom]pchisholm[/nom]I gotta be honest, even if their gfx cards are good, I'm really having second thoughts about spending money on products from a company with such a warped view of reality. I just can't get my head around it.[/citation]

what, that they are trying new things? they they brought out a handheld for a market that doesnt cost 2000$ and use desktop hardware?

[citation][nom]EzioAs[/nom]I agree. However, there are too many people who are just too lazy to set graphics settings manually. Then they came to forums and said their cards can't play the newer games anymore and they need to buy a high end card even though they never bother to play with the settings a little bit . I kinda understand if it's kids or people who are fairly new to pc gaming, but for the rest and especially those who spend hundreds or thousands on their own custom gaming PC, nuh uh . The settings are there to accommodate different sets of hardware so that you'll be able to get playable framerates. Learn to use it people![/citation]

some people just want ultra without sacrificing anything, personally, all i want at ultra are texture settings, everything else im willing to compromise

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Form factor will be the main reason this will fail. Nobody is going to carry a game controller with screen stuck on and use it in public. It won't even come close to fitting in my pocket, it has no practicality.

Too bad, I would have liked to see a high end portable that could bring in AAA developers (because Sony is failing at it). Nvidia had the potential to do that but they'll aren't winning anyone over with this form factor. WTF are they thinking?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Form factor will be the main reason this will fail. Nobody is going to carry a game controller with screen stuck on and use it in public. It won't even come close to fitting in my pocket, it has no practicality.Too bad, I would have liked to see a high end portable that could bring in AAA developers (because Sony is failing at it). Nvidia had the potential to do that but they'll aren't winning anyone over with this form factor. WTF are they thinking?[/citation]

well lets see here. how often are you, as an adult, finding time to play those games in public?
really, a controller is to big for a pocket? 360 controller right next to me, fits in my pocket just fine, saitek p2500, little harder, but fits in my pocket just fine.

i suggest getting bigger pockets and/or also wear looser fitting clothing. and STOP caring about what others think of you.
i want a AAA game on the go, i accept a form factor i don't like, because it includes a FULL CONTROLLER not that vita crap, psp joke, or ds bs. yea some games play good with a d pad, but i would rather have a sitck for most.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Vita has dual thumbsticks, only problem is that Sony can't lock in decent developers to make some good games. If I had a portable console, I'd play it all the time when travelling on business. I wouldn't use it at all while sitting at home.

This Nvidia nightmare simply isn't sleek enough to sell as a portable console. AAA developers will ignore it. It will get the usual casual Android games, big deal.

It will cost twice as much as the competition, bring amazing features such as Tegra 4 and potential to grab big FPS developers.
but developers are looking at the internet reaction from this. Look at gaming sites that focus on portable gaming like gbatemp. Everyone is loathing the size and shape of this thing.

If there's anything I've learned about the success of portable devices, it's the importance of FORM FACTOR.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Vita has dual thumbsticks, only problem is that Sony can't lock in decent developers to make some good games. If I had a portable console, I'd play it all the time when travelling on business. I wouldn't use it at all while sitting at home.This Nvidia nightmare simply isn't sleek enough to sell as a portable console. AAA developers will ignore it. It will get the usual casual Android games, big deal.It will cost twice as much as the competition, bring amazing features such as Tegra 4 and potential to grab big FPS developers.but developers are looking at the internet reaction from this. Look at gaming sites that focus on portable gaming like gbatemp. Everyone is loathing the size and shape of this thing. If there's anything I've learned about the success of portable devices, it's the importance of FORM FACTOR.[/citation]

ever use a vita?

a normal controller like a 360 size or a ps3 size is almost to damn small for the sticks. the sidewinder dual strike. i cant find video of its actual use, mostly due to its age, but from what i understand, it was FAR better than current controllers for aiming.

accesses on sticks as of now, are just to small and precise movement is VERY difficult on them. to the point that game developers have all but abandoned trying to develop precise movement on controllers.

what was that last game that really required you to be spot on with a controller, that didn't also have some peripheral like a racing wheel as a recommended way to play the games. because the last one i can remember is the super monkey ball series.

point is, sticks are already to small and imprecice on full size controllers, even smaller ones like the 3ds psp and vita are hell to use over a extended period of time, to the point they may as well be d pads.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
"9:45: Jen-Hsun continues demoing the Shield. 4K video playback over HDMI to a TV. Then, driving a 4K display in a 3D application from Shield (assuming that's scaled from 720p?). Multi-player capable over the network."

Not quite sure why people are not getting the fact that you can play on 5in when you want or play on your TV. The point is, PC power directed at the TV (meaning no need for AMD based console :)). I think the 5in is just there for portability on the go...Meaning no Vita/3DS etc needed. It's like an all in one device killing the need for the others, and when required you have PC gpu power (which is upgradable). You can't upgrade your consoles graphics for 7-10yrs...I'm thinking the cool part here is, 3yrs from now you buy a better GPU for the PC and your handheld is instantly more capable again, unlike a console being stuck in stone.

Why are people missing this? This is just the usual NV hate I guess?...LOL. It's PC power on your TV. That's not a bad thing, and I'd hope these kill consoles as I'm tired of my games being based on them and NOT a PC. This is the sign of the end times for consoles in my book, and I wouldn't mind if they just sold it without the display for cheaper (or say two models, one with one without). Just the ability to beam to the tv via PC or something (or network), just using it as a controller and capable browser for tv etc (which I guess the touch screen is useful for with the pad)...I really have no intention of using the screen here, but maybe it's removable already.

Either way, anything that gets my PC gpu on my tv wins in my book. My gpu is upgraded every 2-3 years. My console won't be upgraded again at all. The xbox360 was my last one. Tired of seeing $60 for worse looking games than my PC. I don't buy/play these any more anyway...LOL. Once the PC surpassed it at my house it was over. Sport games is about all I pay on it and since madden stopped doing anything but upgrading graphics and a few animations I even stopped doing that. I wish they'd set the graphics in stone for a few years and just fix the dang gameplay (I'd say that for ALL ea sport games).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]somebodyspecial[/nom]"9:45: Jen-Hsun continues demoing the Shield. 4K video playback over HDMI to a TV. Then, driving a 4K display in a 3D application from Shield (assuming that's scaled from 720p?). Multi-player capable over the network."Not quite sure why people are not getting the fact that you can play on 5in when you want or play on your TV. The point is, PC power directed at the TV (meaning no need for AMD based console ). I think the 5in is just there for portability on the go...Meaning no Vita/3DS etc needed. It's like an all in one device killing the need for the others, and when required you have PC gpu power (which is upgradable). You can't upgrade your consoles graphics for 7-10yrs...I'm thinking the cool part here is, 3yrs from now you buy a better GPU for the PC and your handheld is instantly more capable again, unlike a console being stuck in stone.Why are people missing this? This is just the usual NV hate I guess?...LOL. It's PC power on your TV. That's not a bad thing, and I'd hope these kill consoles as I'm tired of my games being based on them and NOT a PC. This is the sign of the end times for consoles in my book, and I wouldn't mind if they just sold it without the display for cheaper (or say two models, one with one without). Just the ability to beam to the tv via PC or something (or network), just using it as a controller and capable browser for tv etc (which I guess the touch screen is useful for with the pad)...I really have no intention of using the screen here, but maybe it's removable already.Either way, anything that gets my PC gpu on my tv wins in my book. My gpu is upgraded every 2-3 years. My console won't be upgraded again at all. The xbox360 was my last one. Tired of seeing $60 for worse looking games than my PC. I don't buy/play these any more anyway...LOL. Once the PC surpassed it at my house it was over. Sport games is about all I pay on it and since madden stopped doing anything but upgrading graphics and a few animations I even stopped doing that. I wish they'd set the graphics in stone for a few years and just fix the dang gameplay (I'd say that for ALL ea sport games).[/citation]

because people arent seeing this as a go between, they are seeing it as this is the vita or this is the ds and this is crap for pc games.

and for the most part if all you play is rts or fps games, than yea, this isnt good.

but 3rd person, platformer, really anything besides fps or rta can be translated to a controller and be relitivily painless.

but if you can plug a mouse or a keyboard into it, than i see no reason for people to not like it.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I don't really get somebodyspecial's point. If you want PC games on your TV then hook up a gaming PC to your TV. I don't see how Nvidia's handheld would make it easier to play PC games on your TV.
For me, it's not NV hate at all. I love NV, and Tegra 4 looks amazing.
Premium titles developed for Tegra 4 on Android would make an an awesome portable console. I'm just not optimistic premium developers will do this for such an obscure device. This device needs to compete with 3DS and Vita. Seeing it as a different type of console that caters to a seperate niche market of PC gamers will not entice Premium developers.

As for streaming PC games to a 5 inch handheld, cool idea but I wouldn't buy it for just that (i'd want to see a good collection of native premium titles that I can play ANYWHERE).
Streaming PC games to the handheld, connecting to the TV via HDMI and then connecting keyboard and mouse to the handheld? Good lord, just connect the PC to the TV.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Just a thought, but I wonder if I could use multiple Shields to stream & play a multi-player game. Picturing like a WiiU controller connected to a high-end gaming system. XBox/PlayStation style gaming with PC quality graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS