[SOLVED] Chain of adapters

Aug 13, 2019
My current video card takes two 6-pin PCI-Es, but the Zotac 1080 mini I'd like to buy takes one 8-pin PCI-E. My 700w Itek power supply (which probably is overkill on my system) does not have an 8-pin PCI-E. Truth be told it only has one 6-pin PCI-E, so for my existing video card I'm also using an adapter: two molex to one 6-pin PCI-E. Now the Zotac I'd like to buy is 180W and comes bundled with a dual 6-pin to single 8-pin adapter.

I understand that the PCI-E x16 slot alone delivers 75W, the 6-pin PCI-E delivers another 75W, and the 2 molexes should easily provide the remaining power required.

My question is... given the 700W PSU, how safe is it to have a two molex to one 6-pin PCI-E adapter which is then plugged into the dual 6-pin to single 8-pin adapter?

Solution
Using MOLEX adapters is not recommended. Period. Get a compatible high quality PSU like mentioned above.

QUALITY and source of the power matters the most, instead of just WATTAGE Number alone. Wattage number is not always important. The quality and the make matters. The main concern is the "quality" of the power, the quality of the components used/CAPS, as well as the total AMP drawn on the +12V RAIL (output), the efficiency under load, "ripple suppression", among other factors.
Using MOLEX adapters is not recommended. Period. Get a compatible high quality PSU like mentioned above.

QUALITY and source of the power matters the most, instead of just WATTAGE Number alone. Wattage number is not always important. The quality and the make matters. The main concern is the "quality" of the power, the quality of the components used/CAPS, as well as the total AMP drawn on the +12V RAIL (output), the efficiency under load, "ripple suppression", among other factors.

Solution