[SOLVED] Challenging Build - £1300 Small Form-factor Portable Gaming Rig

May 24, 2020
Hey guys, first time poster so please bear with and advise if this is not the correct format.

Approximate Purchase Date: Ideally in June 2020 but can wait if there's a really good reason to.

Budget Range: £0-1300 (excluding peripherals)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming at 1080, but want room to expand to 1440, Video editing, music production

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Complete Build

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anything with UK pricing, ideally UK or large international with UK regional site.

Parts Preferences: Nvidia RTX based cards. Otherwise no preference at all, must be ITX board. I've been looking at a Ryzen 3600 for the CPU but I'm concerned about people's issues with high load temperatures which would not be ideal in a SFF case unless suitably cooled.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (upgrading in future, probably to a 4k capable monitor)

Additional Comments: PC will need to be easily portable for regular international travel in either hand luggage (preferred) or hold luggage. Small form factor design with most effective cooling possible as my place of work has rather sensitive heat detecting fire detectors. I will be porting over a 500gb Sata ssd from previous rig. Essentially as much power as I can pack into a small build within budget but with fair cooling performance. (Too optimistic?)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Main rig was built in 2012 and upgraded in 2015 but is now aging. Laptop I take away with me is 5 years old and on its last legs. Have the money and want to have a portable main rig for use at home and when I'm away on a ship.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Part list I have come up with:

PC Partpicker UK list:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dyqMQq

Solution
You might want no compability issues around B450 Chipset having trouble to much user when they upgrade bios, an X570 would fit and you could even upgrade the cpu to upcoming Ryzen 4000 series.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | £153.00 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | £57.99 @ AWD-IT
Thermal Compound | ARCTIC MX-4 2019 Edition 4 g Thermal Paste | £4.97 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard | Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard | £225.99 @ Amazon UK
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | £73.47 @ Ebuyer...
You might want no compability issues around B450 Chipset having trouble to much user when they upgrade bios, an X570 would fit and you could even upgrade the cpu to upcoming Ryzen 4000 series.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | £153.00 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 120 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | £57.99 @ AWD-IT
Thermal Compound | ARCTIC MX-4 2019 Edition 4 g Thermal Paste | £4.97 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard | Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard | £225.99 @ Amazon UK
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | £73.47 @ Ebuyer
Storage | Kingston A400 120 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | £26.70 @ CCL Computers
Storage | Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | £98.71 @ Box Limited
Video Card | MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card | £566.40 @ Alza
Case | Silverstone SG13 Mini ITX Tower Case | £39.95 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply | Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply | £118.02 @ Amazon UK
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £1365.20
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-24 14:25 BST+0100 |

£65 more for a better aftermarket thermal compund and fitting gpu (since the one you pick is too lengthy)

Apply the thermal compund between X or a dot, depends on your favor.

Solution
May 24, 2020
Hey thanks for your response.

I've looked at quite a few other builds that clarify that despite the GPU not "officially" being able to fit, it actually does but protrudes out of the main chassis of the case and into the front panel (with a couple mm to spare).

I'll take note of your thermal compound suggestion, seems like a good idea. Good idea with the motherboard too. Its been an internal debate whether to go for a x570 or b450 and for the difference of £50 it seems like I should probably go for the x570. Apparently the b450s that are shipping from Amazon have the latest bios support.flr the Ryzen 3 series as of 2020 though.

Thanks again for your help. Still a bit concerned about the ryzen 3s running a bit hot so may wait until the 4 series are released to see if they're any better.