[SOLVED] Change dns on router and firewall.

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
1 .I change dns on my pc. Is it necessary to do it on my router also, or its ok ?
2. I have firewall of winows, is it necesary to have activate firewall on router also, or one of tthem is enough ?

Solution
A firewall is close to worthless in a home user setting.

The main use is to protect a server that is exposed to the internet. Nobody really runs any form of server in their house for other people to use. Maybe something like a minecraft server but that only allows a single port so you don't really need a firewall. A company would never use the simplistic firewalls in a consumer router to protect a server. This is why companies can sell firewalls for many thousands of dollars. If you could do it with $100 router nobody would buy the fancy devices.

Now on say a work network you might have a firewall on the end machines to protect against attack between the machine inside the company. This again is not something that is...
The DNS setting will be ignored by the PC when you set it in the pc nic settings. The DNS settings on the router are used for PC that do not set this value.

In a way you do not need either firewall. The NAT function in the router prevents any traffic from the internet from reaching your PC. Unless your machine first talked to a location so your router knows where to return traffic to the router does not know which of your internal machines to give traffic to from a unkown source so it just discards it. That alone prevents most attacks even with no firewall.

The firewall on the router more protects the router itself from some forms of denial of services. Many times this is not even considered part of the firewall. I would leave the setting on the factory default. If you turn on the firewall option the router must now look at all the traffic which can overload the cpu on a very fast internet connection.

The firewall on your PC is combined with malware virus checking. You are not so worried about a external machine attacking it is if you get tricked into running some software it will help stop it.

Most actual firewall settings in both the pc and the router are used to prevent outbound traffic. Say you wanted to block netflix usage .....even though it has gotten very hard to filter traffic because everything is encrypted.

Reactions: manolis kokotsakis

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
Forgive me sir, my english are not so good, so i dont understand what you wrote me exactly.

1.The DNS setting will be ignored by the PC when you set it in the pc nic settings. The DNS settings on the router are used for PC that do not set this value.

You mean, change or not dns on pc, dont work / effect anything? I did, and i saw some different,and all videos i saw on youtube, recomment this way . What you mean , do not set this value ? I dont understand .

2.I would leave the setting on the factory default
but firewall is active on factory default . I should stop it , this you ,mean ? And your opinion is that, i dont windows firewall either ?

I understood correctly ?

The DNS settings in the ROUTER will be ignored when you set it in the PC. The local PC setting will always be used. If you do not set the DNS in your PC the PC would not know which DNS server to use since it is blank. If you do not tell the PC what to use it uses the router settings.

I guess there is a difference between it being turned on and actually configured. The default rules generally allow all traffic so it might be turned on but does nothing.

Maybe I will just give you a simple answer. Leave the firewall setting in their default setting both on your PC and the router.

It gets very complex when you start discussing what actual is different between say a firewall and a virus or malware blocking. You can turn off the firewall part but you want to leave the virus and malware stuff on. They are not the same but if you do not spend the time to learn the details you are better off just not touching the stuff until you know.

A firewall is close to worthless in a home user setting.

The main use is to protect a server that is exposed to the internet. Nobody really runs any form of server in their house for other people to use. Maybe something like a minecraft server but that only allows a single port so you don't really need a firewall. A company would never use the simplistic firewalls in a consumer router to protect a server. This is why companies can sell firewalls for many thousands of dollars. If you could do it with $100 router nobody would buy the fancy devices.

Now on say a work network you might have a firewall on the end machines to protect against attack between the machine inside the company. This again is not something that is going to happen in your house.

Pretty much the only small use of a firewall in a home user setting is to filter traffic. Maybe you want to try to limit your kids access.

The feature is more to make people feel good than to really do anything real technical. It is the fairly standard marketing technique that if something is complex and I don't understand it then it must be a good thing and I need to buy it.

Reactions: manolis kokotsakis
Solution

TRENDING THREADS