Question Coil whine on a new RX 6800 ?

Stefano99678

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
Hi,

I just upgraded my RX 5700 XT to an RX 6800.
The PSU is a Seasonic Gold 650w with a single 8+8 PCIe cable.
Previously I was using two different cables with the 5700 XT but now I’m using the single cable for the
RX 6800 since I only have that one.

Once I changed the gpu I started experiencing a coil whine everytime I open a game or I try to do a benchmark..

If I get closer to the case I can hear that the coil whine is likely coming from the motherboard…
I’ve been reading that if the GPU is using less than 300W then using just a single cable shouldn’t cause any problems!

Do you guys have any suggestion?

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
Hi,

I just changed my GPU. I upgraded my gpu from an rx 5700xt to an rx 6800.
I have a seasonic gold 650w with a single pcie cable 8+8.
Previously I was using two different cables with my Rx 5700xt and now I’m using the single cable for the rx 6800 since I only have that one.
Once I changed the gpu I started experiencing a coil whine everytime I open a game or I try to do a benchmark..
Do you guys have any suggestion?
If I get closer to the case I can hear that the coil whine is likely coming from the motherboard…
I’ve been reading that if the gpu is using less than 300W then just the single cable shouldn’t give any problem!
with a double cable your problem will be solved, from the same to give to the card it is logical to have coil whine

Stefano99678

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
what cpu you have?
A 5700x!
So, this morning I managed to find a new cable and I've done as you said.
The coil whine almost disappeared! I tried to run Heaven Benchmark and It's super silent. I don't know for which reason but when I close it I can hear the coil whine but It's almost impercetible!

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
A 5700x!
So, this morning I managed to find a new cable and I've done as you said.
The coil whine almost disappeared! I tried to run Heaven Benchmark and It's super silent. I don't know for which reason but when I close it I can hear the coil whine but It's almost impercetible!
Good cpu , with good cooler and enabled PBO is beter than 5800x