Change in motherboard, Windows 10 recovery issues

Oliver_55

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
Hi,

I have just change the motherboard in my pc so I was able to move it into an ITX case. At first it wouldn’t post so I updated the bios and now it does. As I hadn’t uninstalled the motherboard drivers from my last motherboard, it was saying it needed repairing. However, I fresh installed windows on the main ssd and booted up fine with a new copy. I then switched the pc off and plugged my GPU in, 2 HDDs and another ssd that I had used from my previous system. Now when I start I go to a blue screen that says “recovery”. The error says “File:\WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe” then “error code: 0xc000000e”.

CPU: 4960k
Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Impact (priviously on a VII Ranger)
Gpu: GTX 980ti Strix
Ram: Corsair vengeance pro 8gb 1600mhz (2 sticks of 4, priviously has 16 gb in the ranger as it had two additional slots)
Psu: Corsair RM850
Samsung Evotech 250 ssd (os)
Wd 4tb black
Wd 1tb blue
Sandisk 64gb ssd

Any help would be awesome as I’ve got uni work to do! Oli

Solution
Ah ok, now I get it. In normal circumstances it should let you into the BIOS, so you can change the boot order of the storage devices, so you can set your main SSD as your primary boot drive. Now it seems to be selecting one of the older drives as the primary one causing the recovery screen to show up.

Quite odd it doesn't seem to let you boot into the BIOS, though. What happens if you boot the PC with a Windows-bootable USB stick inserted?

Oliver_55

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

I have clean wiped the ssd then selected it but the others aren’t wiped. However, when I try to get into the bios to boot from the usb, it just skips past it even if I’m pressing delete and f2 and goes to the recovery screen. I was going to wipe them in console command but can’t get to it. Is there another way to make it boot from the usb?

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Ah ok, now I get it. In normal circumstances it should let you into the BIOS, so you can change the boot order of the storage devices, so you can set your main SSD as your primary boot drive. Now it seems to be selecting one of the older drives as the primary one causing the recovery screen to show up.

Quite odd it doesn't seem to let you boot into the BIOS, though. What happens if you boot the PC with a Windows-bootable USB stick inserted?

Solution

Oliver_55

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

Oh okay. I have the usb in, but it dosnt boot to it. I think maybe the partitions from the old system are messing it up as they were still there when I installed windows. But I can’t get into the bios to change it.