Question Change item details in preview pane of Windows Explorer for file count in ZIP

staney

Honorable
Jul 2, 2017
Does anyone know how to get Windows 10 pro to display how many files are in a zip\cbz\cbr file in the display pane of windows explorer? I'm trying to compare loads of dupes to see which file is better, and file size isn't really helpful.

I have used CBXShell, which displays file type, image count and file count when you hover the mouse over a file, and it would be great if this info was shown in the details pane. really I need something that keeps showing when I move away and compare to its counterpart.

Cheers

Edit: here's what I mean
Top pic shows a cbz file with my mouse hovering over it so it displays some info - 68 images, 69 files and file size. I would like that info to show up in the display panel which is only showing dates and file size.
Compare that to the pdf file below which has page info when hovering and much more info in the dispaly pane.

I have tinkered about in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociation and found some details to add to display from here MSDN but none of them seem to be able to display a contents count.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Do you mean "newer" versus "better"?

"Newer" could perhaps use timestamp information.

"Better" is subjective and would need some sort of measurable parameter from which to make a choice.

E.g., is a zip file with 8 files inside "better" than a zip file with 9 files inside....?

"Loads of dupes" - meaning zip files that are likely to have identical/like named files zipped into them? Or perhaps different file extensions?

My thought is that you will need Python or Powershell to delve into the selected zip files to obtain and collect the comparison data.

A very basic approach would be to run two instances of Powershell in separate windows, run the necessary Powershell cmdlets or script in each window, and then visually compare the results via the windows.

FYI - Start here:

https://adamtheautomator.com/powershell-unzip/

Overall, more information needed with respect to criteria and requirements.

Reactions: staney

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
from explorer you can click on the .zip file on the left and it shows it's contents just like clicking on a folder.

open 2 explorer windows, show both zip files and compare visually. you still get the details like file size, date modified and so on this way so you know what is "newest" and so on.

i don't think i have ever seen a way to do what you are asking specifically. which as i understand it is to do the same thing i suggest above but have it in the preview pane and not the regular content window. there might be some add-on i have never heard of that may do this, but i've never actually looked for such a thing. i just have done what i said above when needing to check inside some zip files without extracting them.

staney

Honorable
Jul 2, 2017
Do you mean "newer" versus "better"?

"Newer" could perhaps use timestamp information.

"Better" is subjective and would need some sort of measurable parameter from which to make a choice.

E.g., is a zip file with 8 files inside "better" than a zip file with 9 files inside....?

"Loads of dupes" - meaning zip files that are likely to have identical/like named files zipped into them? Or perhaps different file extensions?

My thought is that you will need Python or Powershell to delve into the selected zip files to obtain and collect the comparison data.

A very basic approach would be to run two instances of Powershell in separate windows, run the necessary Powershell cmdlets or script in each window, and then visually compare the results via the windows.

FYI - Start here:

https://adamtheautomator.com/powershell-unzip/

Overall, more information needed with respect to criteria and requirements.
Thanks for your reply
I mean better, which I mean to be "more comprehensive" I suppose. it is subjective you are right. These are comicbook files and I am trying to sort through loads (by which I mean 1000s if not 10000s) to compare which files have more image files inside, and then from there which have a sharper image, colour or black and white etc. These things I need to open each file and eyeball individually, but a quick comparison of file content would save a lot of time as there are some files that are identical, some have more files with smaller dimensions, some less with larger dimesions etc which can result in a similar overall file size.

I've edited my original post with more info.

staney

Honorable
Jul 2, 2017
from explorer you can click on the .zip file on the left and it shows it's contents just like clicking on a folder.

open 2 explorer windows, show both zip files and compare visually. you still get the details like file size, date modified and so on this way so you know what is "newest" and so on.

i don't think i have ever seen a way to do what you are asking specifically. which as i understand it is to do the same thing i suggest above but have it in the preview pane and not the regular content window. there might be some add-on i have never heard of that may do this, but i've never actually looked for such a thing. i just have done what i said above when needing to check inside some zip files without extracting them.
Thanks for your reply
yeah i can do what you say but i need contents info. The annoying thing is I have used an explorer program called Directory Opus whic can do it, but I didn't like it much (and it costs money) so I was hoping win10 could do it natively.

I've edited my original post with more info

Ralston18

Titan
First - stay out of the Registry. Registry edits are a last resort and should only be attempted after everything, including the Registry itself is fully backed up and proven fully recoverable.

And I trust that you do have all of your host folders and files already backed up as a mandatory matter of routine.

Second: "I would like that info to show up in the display panel which is only showing dates and file size. " The app developer would need to make (if possible) such changes. The code determines what what information is culled out and how that information is displayed in the window(s) presented along with sorting, filtering, and so forth of individual file details.

Many programs (especially tools and applications) take advantage of Windows' inherent capabilities. The programs just put a User Friendly (hopefully) interface around it all. It is easy, for example, to generate a list of files. Making that list "pretty" in some manner may be more difficult depending on the requirements. E.g., color coding filenames by file type. Which is rather straightforward for the most part but adds complexity to the code or script.

Your requirements are at a level of detail that would make third party apps expensive and likely cumbersome.

However, Powershell and Python would likely be able to accomplish, without too much effort, maybe 80% of your requirements. Depending on how much you wish to automate and dig out of the files.

Here is a rather old link that I first found after reading your post.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14204230/how-to-list-the-files-in-a-zip-in-powershell

And to present a more involved bit of script:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/71157138/nested-zip-contents-listing

My suggestion is to find a family member or friend who is knowledgeable about coding and see if that person would like to help.

The code or script does not necessarily need to immediately do every thing that you require. Just reduce the work by some means.

Again: What ever you try to do should be done in some sort of test environment where the original files cannot be touched. Preferably on a different computer.

As for Directory Opus - this application?

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/order_intro.html

Noted that you did not "like it" and that Directory Opus costs money. Both are valid reasons and quite understandable.

However, more use of the program and perhaps a higher version (E..g Pro) may be easier although more expensive. May offer more built in functionality....

More or less a matter of trade-offs between the time and effort you are willing to expend versus the cost and capabilities of the software.

Reactions: staney

staney

Honorable
Jul 2, 2017
First - stay out of the Registry. Registry edits are a last resort and should only be attempted after everything, including the Registry itself is fully backed up and proven fully recoverable.

And I trust that you do have all of your host folders and files already backed up as a mandatory matter of routine.

Second: "I would like that info to show up in the display panel which is only showing dates and file size. " The app developer would need to make (if possible) such changes. The code determines what what information is culled out and how that information is displayed in the window(s) presented along with sorting, filtering, and so forth of individual file details.

Many programs (especially tools and applications) take advantage of Windows' inherent capabilities. The programs just put a User Friendly (hopefully) interface around it all. It is easy, for example, to generate a list of files. Making that list "pretty" in some manner may be more difficult depending on the requirements. E.g., color coding filenames by file type. Which is rather straightforward for the most part but adds complexity to the code or script.

Your requirements are at a level of detail that would make third party apps expensive and likely cumbersome.

However, Powershell and Python would likely be able to accomplish, without too much effort, maybe 80% of your requirements. Depending on how much you wish to automate and dig out of the files.

Here is a rather old link that I first found after reading your post.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14204230/how-to-list-the-files-in-a-zip-in-powershell

And to present a more involved bit of script:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/71157138/nested-zip-contents-listing

My suggestion is to find a family member or friend who is knowledgeable about coding and see if that person would like to help.

The code or script does not necessarily need to immediately do every thing that you require. Just reduce the work by some means.

Again: What ever you try to do should be done in some sort of test environment where the original files cannot be touched. Preferably on a different computer.

As for Directory Opus - this application?

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/order_intro.html

Noted that you did not "like it" and that Directory Opus costs money. Both are valid reasons and quite understandable.

However, more use of the program and perhaps a higher version (E..g Pro) may be easier although more expensive. May offer more built in functionality....

More or less a matter of trade-offs between the time and effort you are willing to expend versus the cost and capabilities of the software.
Thanks for your rply.

So basically there's no way to get windows to display this info? That sounds totally bizarre, why wouldn't it know? weird.

OK thank you for going to all that trouble finding the info on powershell coding, but there's no point me writing a script to output the info, as its just as convenient to compare the files the way I am now.

I'll have another look at some 3rd party file explorers and see if any are more suitable.

Thank very much for all your help.