Question change max RAM

Mar 8, 2023
Hello,
I wanted to upgrade the RAM on my computer. I run Windows 10 64bits, with a 2017 Ryzen 5 1600x 6 core, and my motherboard is a Asus Prime b350M-A. In the motherboard manual they say it can go up to 64gB of RAM, 16gB per slot.
Trying to install more RAM, windows doesn't boot. I searched a bit and saw with the command line "wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices " that the current max RAM of my computer is set at 16gB. I tried to change it in ms config but it won't let me go higher that 16384.
I thought only OS, CPU, or MB could limit the max RAM, but all of them in my computer should theorically let me go up to 64gB ? Why am I stuck at 16gB ?
Thanks in advance for helping me

Ryzen is very sensitive to ram.
First, check to see if there is a motherboard bios update that fixes your issue.
Ram compatibility is a very common reason for bios updates.

Simply adding ram can be a problem.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I assume the build is still booting properly on the old RAM.

Use it, boot into BIOS and remove any overclock or XMP profile. Confirm everything is at base setting, then power down and install the new RAM, power up. Give the PC a few minutes as you may see it run a couple of boot cycles as it learns the new timings. After that, you should be able to restore your XMP settings and such.

Of note, this RAM being on QVL could/would be important, but as time goes on those lists become outdated.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Mar 8, 2023
Ryzen is very sensitive to ram.
First, check to see if there is a motherboard bios update that fixes your issue.
Ram compatibility is a very common reason for bios updates.

Simply adding ram can be a problem.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

Thank you very much for your answer,
I tried downloading a bios update but I get a .PGD file that I can't manage to open...

I specifically bought the exact same RAM that I already had in my computer, but it was a few years ago, yes

Hey there,

Yes, agree with @geofelt here, and the mixing and matching ram. It's a no-no purely because of compatibility, even with what look like the same DIMMs.

Another thing to consider is if you ar eusing 2 or 4 DIMMs. The IMC on the 1600x may not be able to work with the other DIMMs. (x4) so often the best results can be had with 2 DIMMs only.

Mar 8, 2023
I assume the build is still booting properly on the old RAM.

Use it, boot into BIOS and remove any overclock or XMP profile. Confirm everything is at base setting, then power down and install the new RAM, power up. Give the PC a few minutes as you may see it run a couple of boot cycles as it learns the new timings. After that, you should be able to restore your XMP settings and such.

Of note, this RAM being on QVL could/would be important, but as time goes on those lists become outdated.

Thank you very much for your answer
The old ram still works but the new ram also work if i don't pair it with the old one, I already removed the XMP profile and my hardware is not overclocked

Mar 8, 2023
Hey there,

Yes, agree with @geofelt here, and the mixing and matching ram. It's a no-no purely because of compatibility, even with what look like the same DIMMs.

Another thing to consider is if you ar eusing 2 or 4 DIMMs. The IMC on the 1600x may not be able to work with the other DIMMs. (x4) so often the best results can be had with 2 DIMMs only.

Thank you for your answer
I had only 2 DIMMs, I tried to add 2 new one
So I should try to use 2 16gB instead of 4 8gB ?

If your motherboard permits ram voltage adjustments, try increasing the voltage from the stock 1.2v up to 1.35v and possibly even up to 1.5v.
With two running sticks, set the ram to the speed and timings you want and explicitly set a high ram voltage.
Verify that those settings work.
Then try to add in the other two sticks.

If no joy, buy a matched kit of supported ram. Either on the motherboard qvl support list, or on a compatible list from your favorite ram vendor.
I usually think that a 2 stick kit is best(and usually cheaper)
But I have heard reports that 4 sticks with some ryzen motherboards do a tad better.

If your motherboard permits ram voltage adjustments, try increasing the voltage from the stock 1.2v up to 1.35v and possibly even up to 1.5v.
With two running sticks, set the ram to the speed and timings you want and explicitly set a high ram voltage.

If no joy, buy a matched kit of supported ram. Either on the motherboard qvl support list, or on a compatible list from your favorite ram vendor.
But I have heard reports that 4 sticks with some ryzen motherboards do a tad better.
You can also bump the SOC voltage up a notch or two. This can sometimes bring stability to the IMC.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Being on a 3xx chipset and the 1xxx CPU, it may be worthwhile to explore BIOS revisions. It is touched on above, but the first generation Ryzen stuff was super picky about RAM. This was alleviated to some degree as further revisions came out.
Be sure to read closely the instructions for how to download, extract to specific format USB, and then going into BIOS to perform the update. You will want to be sure you are using updates that will still support your 1600.

Mar 8, 2023

I updated the BIOS and did this simultaneously so I'm not sure which one did the trick, but I am wrinting to you with my extra RAM rn, so everything works.

Thank you all infinitely for your time and patience with me