Change the temperature at which CPU fan starts spinning?

jompric

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
I have HP Omen 17 and the fan speed bothers me even while just browsing or moving cursor it turns on and spins at 2200rpm. I saw on a couple of posts that it is possible to change at which temp it will start spinning using program RWEverything. Can someone help me to figure how to do it? Here are pictures of EC and Speedfan.

iuAZLKK.jpg

Solution
The problem with that is, if you increase the temp the fan turns on to 55°C, the mean temperature is going to be higher all the time, which will directly result in most probably remaining in that upper zone anyhow, in which case you are still dealing with fan noise all the time. Lowering the point at which the fan comes on, at least with variable speed fan operation, is MORE likely to KEEP the thermal level below the point where full speed operation is necessary. This is exactly why automotive cooling systems with electric fans generally have one lower variable speed fan for a range that is lower than where it actually needs to be cooled in order to prevent overheating AND a high speed fan so that if temps still pass a certain threshold...
Fiddling with the cooling configuration on a laptop is a very bad idea. They are precisely tuned to be a balance of performance and noise level, and if you disturb that balance on a highly closed system like that, it's practically guaranteed that you're going to reduce the lifespan of the hardware. Especially if you are gaming or running other demanding extended length processes.

It's not a desktop, and changing the delicate balance of the precision configuration is likely to result in a short life.

jompric

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
Is it possible to reduce the noise some other way ? I cleaned vents, uploaded everything,undervolted cpu but the 2200 rpm is really annoying especially in libraries or similar places.

This is what it takes to stuff a high end CPU and GPU card inside a laptop. That's a ton of heat inside an incredibly small space. You have to either get it out or risk damage.

If it's super loud even under low demand circumstances, and I'm assuming this unit is several years old already, it's very possible the thermal paste between the CPU heatsink and CPU has dried out and it's having to run the fans a lot more than normal to maintain normal thermal levels. Might be necessary to take it to a repair shop and have the heatsink repasted.

The problem with that is, if you increase the temp the fan turns on to 55°C, the mean temperature is going to be higher all the time, which will directly result in most probably remaining in that upper zone anyhow, in which case you are still dealing with fan noise all the time. Lowering the point at which the fan comes on, at least with variable speed fan operation, is MORE likely to KEEP the thermal level below the point where full speed operation is necessary. This is exactly why automotive cooling systems with electric fans generally have one lower variable speed fan for a range that is lower than where it actually needs to be cooled in order to prevent overheating AND a high speed fan so that if temps still pass a certain threshold they can brute force cool the radiator.

In your case, obviously there are few options, but honestly I would consider either repasting yourself if you are handy enough to handle a teardown, or take it someplace where they can do it. Shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks or so. If it's that annoying, it's probably worth it.

Solution