Question Change to 2.4 Ghz

Feb 26, 2023
I'm using this video to try and change my adapter to use 2.4 GHz. I have checked a couple videos now and they both tell me to go into "preferred band" in the advanced settings. I do not have that setting. I only have 3 items in the drop-down list: Beacon, Preamble Mode and Wireless Mode.

How can I set it to use 2.4 GHz?

I am using this adapter.

Thanks.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you're adapter uses both bands depending on the network it connects to.

you need to change your router to 2.4 ghz or at least enable it if it is not already on.

when you look into your available wifi networks you should have 2 for your house. one that specifies 5 ghz and a second one that may or may not say 2.4 ghz. that second one is the one you want to connect to for 2.4 ghz wifi.

so to sum it up, your adapter is not the problem, rather you need to identify and connect to the 2.4 network or you need to turn it on first in the router settings.

Feb 26, 2023
you're adapter uses both bands depending on the network it connects to.

you need to change your router to 2.4 ghz or at least enable it if it is not already on.

when you look into your available wifi networks you should have 2 for your house. one that specifies 5 ghz and a second one that may or may not say 2.4 ghz. that second one is the one you want to connect to for 2.4 ghz wifi.

so to sum it up, your adapter is not the problem, rather you need to identify and connect to the 2.4 network or you need to turn it on first in the router settings.

I don't see anything in my wifi networks for 2.4 GHz. But I live in an apartment and there are like 20 or so networks to connect to. SpectrumSetup-E8 is what I connect to. When I go into properties on that, it says the band is 5 GHz. If there is a way to turn on 2.4 GHz, I have no idea how to do it. It's not even my router, it was installed when the internet was hooked up.

Thanks.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Assuming you have good signal quality, a 5Ghz network will be faster than a 2.4Ghz network. Are you having signal quality issues? That would be the reason to change to the 2.4Ghz network, better at penetrating walls/stuff but slower.

Feb 26, 2023
My router is right next to my PC, but this wifi card is apparently trash. It keeps dropping the connection and restarting every few minutes. It just started recently. I contacted the manufacture, and they told me to use 2.4GHz instead.

I read several Amazon reviews on this card and a lot of people said they have the same problem. 5GHz keeps randomly disconnecting and then taking like 10 mins to restart. Several of them said 2.4GHz fixed it for them.

In any case, I contacted my ISP and they said the router they gave me does not have the ability to use 2.4Ghz, so apparently, I am SoL. :mad:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Are you paying "rent (monthly charge)" for the ISP's router? If so, you could purchase your own. It will pay for itself in short order and give you more flexibility.

Which of these is your router?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
They are separate but the router has ports for the cable too. I guess I should connect the cable there instead?
Yes. Absolutely.

The incoming cable attaches to the cable modem. Then you should have an ethernet cable running from the modem to the router (often to a yellow port on the router). Most routers will have available ports for your devices.

Knowing what router you have would be beneficial to this discussion.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
I'm using this video to try and change my adapter to use 2.4 GHz. I have checked a couple videos now and they both tell me to go into "preferred band" in the advanced settings. I do not have that setting. I only have 3 items in the drop-down list: Beacon, Preamble Mode and Wireless Mode.

How can I set it to use 2.4 GHz?

I am using this adapter.

Thanks.
In the wireless mode settings, change it from AUTO to b/g/n